Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

SHADOWLAND #1 Preview and Discussion *SPOILERS*
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zabrmc
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read it as well, and then re-read and I loved it. I feel that the purpose of the event book is moreso for the spectacle and big events. I'm definitely hoping that the issue of DD next week takes a step back and deals with how Matt got to this point though.
baker
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, that was lame. I spent $4 on a comic that is more or less one huge extended fight scene (which by the way, had less action than any one issue of DD 505-507).

And wow, I was really surprised when the last "shocking" page was one of the previews released to promote Shadowland. I told myself I would stop buying Daredevil if the Diggle-&-company creative team didn't live up to its predecessors, and for some reason I'm still buying it.

And while I'm still ranting (sorry anyone), if Daredevil is going to be "evil" for now on, WHY DIDN'T HE JUST KILL MASTER IZO!!?? When I read issue #501, I was ecstatic that DD had the balls to murder someone as awesome as Izo for the sake of the greater good. For Daredevil to take that sharp of a turn into some place darker wasn't much of a stretch, with what's happened to him and all. But then in issue #502, we find that DD is playing his continuous role of liar once again. If they wanted DD to become the next big threat in the Marvel universe, they should have just let him kill Izo, and let him take that path. Shadowland would at least be that much more believable.

Oh well. Here's hoping for a better second issue.
AP
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with zabrmc. The event book isn't going to delve into Matt's psyche very much. That's what the DD book is for. I think we're going to get more explanation from the DD book next week about Matt's change.

So far a lot of the comments I have seen about Shadowland remind me how different an experience it is reading a book monthly as opposed to reading trades. I've just started reading DD monthly myself with #501. Before that, I was caching up with the trades. When reading a trade, all you have to do is flip the page to continue the arc, but you miss out on a lot of the suspense. It's instant gratification. When reading an arc monthly, you don't get all of your questions answered right away. Reading monthly is supposed to leave you with questions, leave you with something to think about for the next month. That's part of the fun for us and part of the game for the creative team.

I will say I'm not crazy about Billy Tan's art or the costume change. In fact, I really dislike new the costume. It's basically "evil twin" DD. The blades, the D's, the cliche "good guys wear white, bad guys wear black" routine. It would have been a lot more interesting if they would have left the suit red. He didn't burst out of his own skin in the dream sequence from #502 in the black suit did he? No, they used the red suit to personify his capacity for evil that's always been a part of him. New suit makes a bigger splash for the big event I guess. But as long as the story is still good and the costume doesn't become a main part of the story, I can deal with it.

"If they wanted DD to become the next big threat in the Marvel universe, they should have just let him kill Izo, and let him take that path. Shadowland would at least be that much more believable."

Perhaps Izo has a bigger role to play in what's going on. Maybe a role we aren't expecting, who knows. Also, if they would have had him kill Izo in #501 and moved right on to evil DD, it would not have been as rich an experience. Without #502-507 to give perspective, his fall would felt rushed and ill-conceived.

I think Diggle and company have done well moving all the pieces into place. Shadowland #1 wasn't going to answer all our questions or put all the puzzle pieces together. It's only the beginning. One can tell there has been a lot of planning and thought put into this story. It's going to require a lot of patience and perseverance on our part. I'm hoping that if we're willing to stick with it, we will be rewarded in the end.
The Mast
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimetre wrote:
***SPOILERS***

I read it. I reread #507 and I read Shadowland #1 again.

My main problem so far with Shadowland is the sharp plunge into evil Daredevil has taken since #507. When Bakuto was found dead in #507, Daredevil confronted White Tiger and the other three Daimyo about suspecting foul play. I realize that White Tiger (seemingly) convinced him not to look into it further, and the Daimyo took that as a victory, thinking they have successfully led him onto the Hand's path of evil, but the fact that he still stopped and questioned them signaled to me that the old Matt wasn't quite gone yet.

Cut to Shadowland #1. Daredevil seems to have just returned to New York. He has a new costume, which seems to be nothing more than a different colour scheme (so what's the point?). Power Man and Iron Fist ask him if he wants help, and he won't accept their help unless they swear allegiance to the Hand. Then the splash page at the end.

I do not feel that Diggle has done a sufficient job showing the eradication of Daredevil's morals by the Snakeroot. I think at least two more issues were necessary for us to find Matt this much under the Hand's thumb. I think Daredevil has demonstrated himself over his rich history to be a hero of tremendous will. Yes, he's been through a lot lately, but he's always been through a lot. If Daredevil was going to "surrender to the dark side" I would need to see the entire gradual process. I don't think Diggle has done that.

I've gotta say, I massively disagree and I think that anyone truly familiar with Daredevil would agree too.

Matt has been slowly corrupted over the past year or so. Dark Reign and Norman Osborn being the law, something he fought so hard to defend, probably left him extremely bitter. All while telling The Punisher he was out of line, he's probably feeling a bit pie-faced right now.

On top of the corruption that he's seen AND is enduring, Bullseye got to him badly by blowing up that building. It has clearly festered in his subconscious.

So, when Bullseye shows up and says, "I'm gonna kill everyone you love after I kill you.", mocking him and languishing in the supposed safety of the fact that Daredevil won't kill him...well. I'd imagine that going from the mindset of beating him and sending him to jail, to "I'm going to **** kill you.", wasn't that much of a leap.

Additionally, Iron Fist and Cage showed up and he aggressively rebuffed their offers for help. Why? Because they're law-abiders. If they had their way, Bullseye would be beaten then imprisoned. He JUST showed how successful attempts are to imprison him, and I suspect Daredevil knows that.

There was no legitimate way to get Bullseye against Daredevil again, without it ending like this. If he fought him and didn't handle him THIS time, after everything he's seen Bullseye do and all the flawed justice he's seen, I'd be rather annoyed. Sure, we all love Matt and it's heart-breaking to see him lose himself so much, but can we honestly say that it's a surprise?

Bullseye had it coming, and as much as I'd have liked him to put up a BIT more of a fight, this has been coming.

It was the exact opposite of a sharp plunge. You could argue that everything we saw was essentially brewing from when Bullseye killed Elektra.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
AP
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with The Mast. Well said. I would definitely make the argument that all this with Bullseye has been brewing since the Miller years. I remember in DD #169 when DD saved Bullseye’s life by pulling him off the train tracks, despite his first impulse to leave him. Once he was in custody, Lt. Manolis questioned DD on why he saved Bullseye and Manolis said something to the effect of “he’ll get out and kill again and every time he does it’s on you.” Manolis had no idea how right he was. And with all that has happened to DD since Karen died, it’s not difficult to see it coming to this.

Regarding the fight, one reason I think it was so brief is that DD is, and always has been, a better fighter than Bullseye. But all these years he’s been “pulling his punches” since he’s always refused to kill Bullseye. Now that the kid gloves are off, DD used everything he had and took Bullseye out in short order. It would have been cooler for it to last a little longer, but the brevity of the fight shows just how dangerous DD can be if he lets himself off the leash.
baker
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
if they would have had him kill Izo in #501 and moved right on to evil DD, it would not have been as rich an experience. Without #502-507 to give perspective, his fall would felt rushed and ill-conceived

Oh I wasn't saying they should make DD evil right on into issues 502-507, they could have easily played out exactly the way they were (and actually I think they might be more believable too, with DD killing ninjas left and right in 506-507 like he did).

And also, I agree with what you're saying about the costume. I think if they wanted to make a change to his style, they should have done something with him unmasked. I mean, he's the leader of The Hand. He literally has nothing left to lose (except his soul!!! *dun dun dun*)

And I really disliked Billy Tan's art the first time I read it. It seemed a lot more rougher and unrefined than DD: Dark Reign: The List. But while I was reading I also noticed how much it looks like Klaus Janson's art. I'm hoping his art style on Shadowland is an homage, and not just sloppy.
AP
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baker wrote:
Quote:
if they would have had him kill Izo in #501 and moved right on to evil DD, it would not have been as rich an experience. Without #502-507 to give perspective, his fall would felt rushed and ill-conceived

Oh I wasn't saying they should make DD evil right on into issues 502-507, they could have easily played out exactly the way they were (and actually I think they might be more believable too, with DD killing ninjas left and right in 506-507 like he did).

And also, I agree with what you're saying about the costume. I think if they wanted to make a change to his style, they should have done something with him unmasked. I mean, he's the leader of The Hand. He literally has nothing left to lose (except his soul!!! *dun dun dun*)

And I really disliked Billy Tan's art the first time I read it. It seemed a lot more rougher and unrefined than DD: Dark Reign: The List. But while I was reading I also noticed how much it looks like Klaus Janson's art. I'm hoping his art style on Shadowland is an homage, and not just sloppy.

Ahh, I see what you mean. Wink I really think they have more planned for Izo, hopefully things we aren't expecting, that are important to Shadowland. They haven't told a lot about his background so I'm looking forward to finding out more.

Regarding the costume, I hadn't thought about him with no mask. Interesting idea. I also thought something like The Advocate costume from the recent What If issue would be cool too. Something in a different direction. But it's a crossover event so they can't take the chances they usually do I guess.

I'm going to have to look at the art again so I can pinpoint the things I dislike about it. It's more than one thing though. I didn't really like his art for DD: The List either.
The Mast
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do have to consider that we're comparing Billy Tan's work to what we're used to seeing on a regular basis.

That being De la Torre or Hollingsworth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Ryu Murdock
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with some of the posts...Shadowland #1 is like a song that go straight to the chorus and has no verse. DD is all of a sudden Evil. Or maybe they forgot to say it's a a couple of months comics-timeline from DD#507, or maybe it's Snakeroot magic, or maybe it's Eloganto with a better mindbending whatever...it's comicbooks! There is a million reason for DD to go bad, and go bad fast! Let's just see how it unfolds. But ultimately I hope to God this won't turn into another GREAT IDEA POOR EXECUTION crap.

Hate me all you want, I don't want it on Matt forever, but I find the black costume okay. It's not an original idea, (remember Spider-Man's black costume?) but I find it kewl! (Ouch! Quit throwing rotten tomatoes at me!)
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why everyone, both in the story and in the real world, is so surprised at what happened. DD would've killed bullseye for what he had done anyway. Hand or no hand.

As far as I'm concerned, the snakeroot guys are being delusional if they think that what he has done is because of their influence.
Darkdevil
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a good first issue. No, I didn't expect all questions to be answered immediately, but I did think it interesting that right off the bat, Matt deals with the issue that started him down this dark road, Bullseye.

Judging by the action and art, yeah, I'd say it appears that DD has been holding back, but not any longer. Quite amazing how fast he took down Bullseye down. The end splash was quite dramatic.

As for his corruption, I do agree with the opening statement made by the Snakeroot. They are not going to damn Matt, he's going to do it himself; they just appear to be giving him the means to do so. Matt's comments to Bullseye seem to confirm this, that he is now willing to do whatever it takes to keep Hell's Kitchen safe. The Snakeroot just helped Matt pave the road....

Which brings me to Shadowland itself. Nice castle, but judging by everyone's reactions, it seems to have popped up overnight. So how did they build it without anyone really noticing? (Some comments on it by His Honorable Mayor JJJ Jameson would be interesting to see, especially if Spidey is getting involved with this)

The costume is okay, but what's the deal with the knives on his gloves? Heck, never used them in this as far as I could tell.

The art was good. My only problem being Danny sans mask. He looked too young...almost like Bobby Drake in a way.

So overall, good start.
Dre
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's IGN's review of the issue: http://comics.ign.com/articles/110/1104635p1.html

For what's it's worth, I agree with every word.
Darkdevil
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't buy that logic. Yes, Bullseye deserves what is coming to him. But does that give Matt the right to deliver it? In one swift stroke, Matt has not only 'killed' Bullseye but also totally usurped the very legal system he's sworn to uphold and believed in.

Add the weight of their history, of their conflict plus Bullseye's recent actions that lead Matt to establish Shadowland to begin with and Matt's reactions seem almost a relief to him. As if he thinks he should done this long ago. That adds to the shock value.

But that's if you see that as a 'shock' moment. I don't see it as that. I see it as a progressive moment, a final piece of the puzzle. Yes, it might be somewhat rushed between White Tiger's ruse in #507 to this, but it shows that it worked. Matt 'killed' Bullseye of his own free will, not the Snakeroot. How damning is that?
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll now make a provocative question:

If DD kills a psychopath who has just stated his intention to kill him, and then his wife, and then all of his friends he is "usurping the very legal system he's sworn to uphold and believe in".

...but if he severs the tendons of upper and lower limbs of a criminal (the Owl, DD #500, when no evil influence could've been involved in any way), paralyzing him forever, it's all okay?
I mean, the legal system he has sworn to uphold and believe in allows him to do that?
baker
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Here's IGN's review of the issue: http://comics.ign.com/articles/110/1104635p1.html

For what's it's worth, I agree with every word.

Yeah, that all seems pretty accurate. Although the reviewer did make it seem hopelessly terrible, and not just okay. Like the reviewer, I think the thing that bothered me the most about Shadowland was that I didn't care about Bullseye dying. The build-up was so minimal, and the death seemed superficial. The Bullseye one-shot should be released sooner, 'cause I'm thinking that's the issue that'll support Shadowland #1 the most.

Oh and thanks for posting that link. Now I know to buy Batman & Robin #13 Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: