Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

SHADOWLAND #1 Preview and Discussion *SPOILERS*
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Mast
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Additionally, regarding Comic Vine's review...

"Why did The Avengers have to be there? There was no reason."

Sure! One of New York's most reliable heroes has been surrounded by rumours of disappearances, he's leading a ninja death cult, and erects a million foot tall Pagoda/Prison/Whatever it is in the middle of Hell's Kitchen.

No, absolutely no reason for Marvel's foremost protectors, who are based in New York, to be in the issue. At all.

None.

If anything, they were only in it to say that it's essentially not a big enough deal for THEM, so they sent two who ARE more suited. It was a good way to get Cage and Fist into it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Darediva
Wake Up

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dre wrote:

Hehe Then it's too bad DD's been spoiling so many fans for so many years with it's accoladed depth and gravitas. It appears Shadowland looks to end this for the character by way of decompressed, expensive, aethestically unpleasing, underwhelming story telling. Too bad, too. Diggle first arc wasn't bad at all. Admittently, Roberto de la Tore's artistry is mostly to thank for that.

You have not read every issue of Daredevil, I know from previous conversations, so you could not know how truly horrible some of the stories from years gone by have been, both before and after Frank Miller. Shadowland is not going to be an end to Daredevil, any more than some of the 60s, 70s, 80s or 90s stories were, and there were lots of less than brilliant ones, believe me.

Decompressed. Did you ever read BENDIS? Besides, you keep griping about the story being rushed. It's one or the other.

Expensive. Comic books are not 12 cents anymore. Get over it.

Aesthetically unpleasing. I'm not a big fan of Billy Tan, but it's not the very worst I've seen between the covers of an issue of DD.

Underwhelming storytelling. You keep banging on this point, but I have yet to see exactly what you mean by this.

Dre wrote:
As many have said before me, this event is an excellent idea with, so far, poor execution. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind, or anyone else for that matter, even your's, I'm sure, that the tone set with Bullseye's death could have been done with far more original and exciting means. To have Bullseye and DD fight YET AGAIN was, IMO, the laziest way to achieve the tone Diggle was seeking. Oh, and having these two fight again wasn't enough, but they had to homeage Miller's Elektra death scene! They really couldn't have tried to do something of their own accord? Seriously? Perhaps attempting something original and iconic themselves? My goodness.

So, you're able to peek inside everyone else's brain in the world? That's some superpower, Dre.

How many different themes are there in storytelling? If you boil it down to basics, not that many. Had DD NOT fought Bullseye, or some other villain, I daresay the hue and cry would have been that there was too much "internal drama" and not enough action! That was the common complaint during a lot of the Bendis and Brubaker runs. Now we have all this fighting and blood and violence, and it's suddenly unoriginal. What IS different is that Daredevil actually put that sai through Bullseye. Will Bullseye stay dead? Probably not. If he does, then plenty of fanboys will have that to whine about. If he doesn't, the rest of them will whine. Ya just can't please everyone. So the writers just write the best stories they have in them, and I can say that I do not know where Diggle is going with this in the long run, and that 22 pages are not enough to tell me whether this will be a truly iconic series or not. So far, I think it will be. It's certainly shook everything up. There's no denying that one.

Those who throw dirt merely lose ground.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
The Mast
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with some fans is that they don't know what they want, and don't want to know.

See, having an idea means it's open to critique. If you just keep saying what's wrong with everyone's runs on a book, without your own perspective of what could/should be done, nobody can critique you.

It's quite cowardly.

I have every issue of Daredevil in existence. I get the character as well as any. Yet, I could write a story everyone hates.

At least I'd have a solid idea though.

You can't keep saying things suck without saying why, or what you'd have done instead.

This is getting close to the disease that unfairly plagues most fans. They imagine where they want a story to be going, then blame the writer when it doesn't go that way.

I don't know what exactly these people wanted for Matt. If it wasn't this, fine. At the very least tell us exactly what you'd have done differently, so we can at least get your point.

Saying, "Yeah, that sucked. This didn't work. That didn't work." doesn't progress anything.

You don't hire an interior decorator and then expect them to work without telling them what you want. How could they ever get it right if YOU don't know?

Bottom line is, fans are usually the worst people to ask. George Lucas is too much a fan of his own work, and that led to Greedo shooting first.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mast wrote:
Additionally, regarding Comic Vine's review...

"Why did The Avengers have to be there? There was no reason."

Sure! One of New York's most reliable heroes has been surrounded by rumours of disappearances, he's leading a ninja death cult, and erects a million foot tall Pagoda/Prison/Whatever it is in the middle of Hell's Kitchen.

No, absolutely no reason for Marvel's foremost protectors, who are based in New York, to be in the issue. At all.

None.

If anything, they were only in it to say that it's essentially not a big enough deal for THEM, so they sent two who ARE more suited. It was a good way to get Cage and Fist into it.

Well said. It is the right of everybody to criticize, but really, sometimes these reviewers get anal about things like these...
The Mast
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What really got my goat was the fact that Sara started saying "I LOVELOVELOVE Daredevil, such a big fan."

Since when? Since Diggle?

"I wanna see how cool Daredevil is." What does that even mean?

I think she just revealed that she b.s. a lot of her reviews.
baker
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, after reading Shadowland one more time, I retract all my previously negative statements about issue #1. Diggle & Johnson's run on DD is pure pulp, and it was written to be read that way. I'm starting to realize how entertaining their run is. It reads like you're watching a movie.

I hope they finish their chapter in the DD canon with at least 2 more story arcs after Shadowland. It would make an epic trilogy.
DDTattoo
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad Bullseye is dead and I hope is stays that way for a good long time. The reason is that I believe the character has been taken every place he can go thematically and dramatically, especially after stints in the Thunderbolts and Dark Avengers. A villain can only be around for so long before his potential has been exhausted. Whatever the editorial reasons were for Bullseye's death, I think it was a good time for it to happen. We have Lady Bullseye to carry on his legacy and provide us with fresh new stories.
Also, I can't believe people are actually saying this came out of nowhere. I think it was pretty clear in the stories at the time Matt was ready to kill Bullseye over Elektra and Karen, but he couldn't bring himself to do it. I further can't believe anyone could see the way he was killed as some kind of rip-off. He died the way he did because (as I see it, and I think the writers do, too) his death is part of a larger story begun 30 years ago by Frank Miller. We should all have seen it coming the moment he picked up the sais.
Ryu Murdock
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn! Shadowland is getting us all worked up isn't it?

First off, Shadowland's schtick is "The Birth of Marvel's Greatest Villain". Marvel's premiere team, the Avengers, has every reason to be on Shadoland then. Other than it's a friggin crossover. And how fun is it that DD stirs an ill foreboding on a god!?

Matt Murdock WILL NEVER KILL Bullseye no matter what. If so, he would've done it when he killed Elektra. If not, when he killed Karen. But DD stayed his hand on both occasions.

The sooner we realize we don't have Matt Murdock anymore, the faster we can get to what's currently happening. If this is our Matt Murdock, then he would be in his office, he would be joking with Foggy, he would have given up leading The Hand, and he would be in a red costume. This ain't our Matt, get over it. Not that it's not cool. I mean, what would you rather? That DD turns evil or that The Hand becomes a force of good? Both are interesting but I choose the former.
Gee
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1- The Avengers should be involved, I would imagine they have been keeping an eye on Matt since the whole 'King of Hells Kitchen' story where Cap actually talked to Matt about his issues.
2- DD killing Bullseye was probably the right thing to do with him, Matt not doing this after all Bullseye has done to him would seem unreal, Matt has effectively killed how many Hand Ninja so killing has always been an option for him.
3- The story is a pretty interesting one, and I am sad to say it would be a great way to end Matts story, so long as we have one last moment of redemption at the end and then him dissappearing to ever give us hope of his return.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: