Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Ever stopped reading DAREDEVIL? What brought you back?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject: Ever stopped reading DAREDEVIL? What brought you back? Reply with quote

There was a time in the mid-90's where I still bought DAREDEVIL comics each month, but I wasn't reading them... just after the Fathoms of Humanity storyline and before JM DeMatteis's run... I just couldn't get into it at all. I had stopped collecting comics for a while, but kept buying DD.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first picked up Daredevil during Denny O'Neil's run, but I stopped reading comics altogether a few years later, so I probably stopped sometime during Ann Nocenti's run. I read no comics for many many years, probably because reading comics didn't seem cool.

Years later, and now an adult who didn't care what other people thought, I remembered how much I had enjoyed Daredevil when I was a kid, and being an aspiring screenwriter, I thought I would check out what was going on with Daredevil these days. So I stopped into a comic book store and picked up Volume 2 #7. I loved Quesada's art, and was surprised to see that Kevin Smith was writing a comic book. When David Mack and Joe Quesada began Parts of a Hole with #9, I was hooked. I had fun going through back issue bins picking up many of the issues I had missed, especially since there were so many delays during Parts of a Hole. The back issues tied me over, and I enjoyed discovering the stories of Roger MacKenzie, J.M. DeMatteis, Karl Kessel and Ann Nocenti that I had missed. Other than Last Rites, I didn't find much of value from Chichester.

So, as many people on this board may already know, I kept buying the book throughout the first half of Bendis' lauded run, but from Underboss to Out to Trial of the Century to Lowlife and Hardcore, I was enjoying it less and less. My gripes were many, but much of it had to do with pacing, Matt becoming more and more unlikeable, less agile and Maleev's inability to draw action. I stuck around because I was waiting for David Mack's return at #51, only to find out that Quesada had placed what should have been an Echo mini within Daredevil's series. At the end of Vision Quest I dropped the book.

When Ed Brubaker was named as Bendis' successor, I went and picked up some of his Catwoman trades and absolutely loved them. (I'm rereading them again for the umpteenth time.). I picked up Captain America #1 and have bought every issue of his amazing run since. I couldn't wait to pick up Davedevil #82. I enjoyed Brubaker's Daredevil run, but concede that it wasn't at the same level as his work on Captain America or Catwoman.

I can't explain why Bendis chased me off the book, but Diggle didn't. I'll buy Reborn #2. Perhaps it's because there's a promise of Redeption for Matt, while with Bendis Matt kept making more and more inexplicable moves that that didn't agree with the integrity that I knew he possessed -- the lawsuit against The Globe, doing nothing to save Hector Ayala when he could tell that the police were going to shoot him, unmasking at Josie's. The guy at my local comic book shop agrees with me about Bendis' Daredevil run -- he doesn't understand what everyone is going on about either.
Darkdevil
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't really remember why I stopped and started and stopped and started. I do know I keep coming back though.

First DD issue was #196 (yeah, I know right after Miller left. Rats) Followed it through O'Neil's run up till just before the end of Born Again. Never got the Nuke conclusion issues. I don't recall why I stopped, probably due to money issues.

Came back for a bit during Nocenti's run. Mephisto, Blackheart, Typhoid Mary. I liked her stuff and I've always loved Romita Jr.'s work so that helped quite a bit as well. Again, I don't quite recall why I stopped.

I'm not sure of the exact timing, but I did make sure I got the Man Without Fear mini by Miller and Romita. Until recently, I'd never read any of Miller's run. Back when I first got into DD, I acquired, through trading books with some friends, a kind of behind-the-scenes interview book Marvel released featuring a book length interview with both Miller and Janson about their run. That, combined with some great sketches and other art, that book, more than anything, probably made me a DD fan.

So I wanted to finally read some Miller. Wasn't disppointed. Still consider MWOF one of the best DD stories I've ever read.

Skipped for awhile probably due to life's restraints, came back for a bit during Chichester's run. Fall from Grace, Tree of Knowledge, the Armor costume, different but I still enjoyed it.

Then I fell out for quite a bit. Moving around, family concerns, job prospects, and such, for awhile I stopped reading comics all together. Recently though, I remembered liking DD and wondered what he was up to now. Thus I caught up in time for Brubaker to take over. Yes, his stuff wasn't quite up to par as his Capt. America stories, but I still enjoyed his run nonetheless. Now due to monetary concerns, I'm committed to DD being one of the few titles I will buy.

Dimetre wrote:
I can't explain why Bendis chased me off the book, but Diggle didn't. I'll buy Reborn #2. Perhaps it's because there's a promise of Redeption for Matt, while with Bendis Matt kept making more and more inexplicable moves that that didn't agree with the integrity that I knew he possessed -- the lawsuit against The Globe, doing nothing to save Hector Ayala when he could tell that the police were going to shoot him, unmasking at Josie's. The guy at my local comic book shop agrees with me about Bendis' Daredevil run -- he doesn't understand what everyone is going on about either.

Which brings me to this. I missed out completely on Bendis' run. Yet everyone seems to think he's right behind Miller in terms of importance and impact on the character.

Your comments worry me. I'm still very hesitant about getting any of it. For example, this past Christmas, I had the chance to get the first HC of the first portion of his run. Yet eventually I opted instead to buy Essential DD Vol. 4. For me, Bendis is right up there with Morrison. Either he's spot on or he's a mess. I've read some Bendis like Ultimate Spidey which was alright. I think he's ruined the Avengers for me. Siege is probably the best thing I've read of his so far.

But his style of writing, taking four pages to show what Lee or Thomas would show in two panels, just doesn't sit right with me.
natshuck
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Left: Miller leaving the first time after #191.

Back: The cover of #500. I was perusing inside the store Books-A-Million and it caught my eye. What made me buy it was the cover gallery of all 500 issues in the back of the book.

I looked at that copy for weeks
Wheelie
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like sheep for saying this but the switch to Volume 2 did it for me. I had read Nocenti's run and stopped after she left. Then a few years later, I saw that DD had been renumbered under a different volume and I just had to give it a test dry. Hopped in at Parts of a Hole and that bled into Bendis and I haven't stopped reading since.

It's very possible that if I had started with Guardian Devil instead, I would not be reading DD right now. Ugh. Killing Karen? Mysterio? The Kevin Smith run was trash, imo.
Pete
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Left: I first came across DD in a British Marvel reprint in 1973. After my first 'proper' DD issue in 1975 in #120, I stuck around through the good times and bad (mostly good, but some bad, hi Chichester and everything Vol 1 post Kesel), I finally gave up the ghost about five or six issues into the Bru run. I loved Bendis but Bru was putting me into a coma, and the pretty pretty artwork wasn't doing it for me.

Back: Yet to happen. What little I've seen from the issues since I've left, (some Bru I've glanced at, some Diggle I've read but not bought, comments on this board) have yet to convince me I've missed much. I've got nothing against the Black Panther but despite Marvel trying to play tricks with my fan boy glands, I have no interest in reading his book every month.

The last good thing with DD in was Black & White. And its the only book I've bought. If Marvel suddenly decide to treat long time fans with a modicum of respect and give me stories about Matt Murdock, full of depth and characterisation like they used to be, and less of the crappy gimmicks, I might decide to check out the new (Vol 3?) title when its launched. If they don't then Black and White will be the last DD I ever buy.
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late Brubaker's run.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I ever really stopped but I skipped Vision Quest. In fact, Vision Quest sort of got me on to trades. I had been buying ever issue of DD every month since around 247. I knew I wanted to switch to trades but I just couldn't bring myself to break the streak. Then Vision Quest came out and I skipped it and I figured "well, that's it for the issues" and it's been trades ever since.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Ryu Murdock
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently 30 years of age. I started collecting Daredevil when I was 9. During a fieldtrip, my classmate stole my Spider-Man comics from my bag and replaced it with Daredevil comics. I got home surprised and yet I still read it because there's nothing I can do, right? Well I loved it and started looking for every issue I can and started a subscription as well. I stopped one issue short of the Marvel Knights volume.

What brought me back is Alex Maleev, Hardcore Part 1 - Daredevil vol.2, no.46. His Typhoid Mary cover was just awesome! What made me stick is Bendis of course. Brubaker's run was also sweet, but a bit short. And Diggle's run ain't so bad. The last issue of Shadowland is crap, but I still like Diggle's stories. Diggle made Daredevil quite grand with the Shadowland crossover.

Oh and by the way, the first issue I read was Daredevil vol.1, no.343 - Recross. That's Warren Ellis' guest writing. Up to now I still read Warren Ellis stuff. If he writes Daredevil, I'd be happy!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: