Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Choices for first-time Daredevil readers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Choices for first-time Daredevil readers Reply with quote

I get asked this question a lot, and I'm always unsure what collections or story would be best to start with... do you think it's best to start with one of the "origin" stories, or start with one of the collections at the start of one of the volumes (like Guardian Devil, or first Bendis arc or the first Waid collection)?

My first stories for DD were all over the place... I started with a Wally Wood story, then I read an issue from Miller's first run, then started reading DD with issue #219 (which made no sense to a new reader like me, I had no idea what was going on).

What do you think?
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would probably start with the Frank Miller Visionaries volumes, starting with Volume 1, since it has that origin issue in it. Then, when they get to volume 2, they're off to the races.

I used to recommend the Man Without Fear miniseries, but over time I've grown uncomfortable with the hyper-violence. I really think that little-by-little over the last thirty years or so, Miller has gone crazy. You can't deny his place in Daredevil history, though. I doubt his influence on the character will ever be topped.
Guardian-Devil
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the first issue i read was #293 and i had no idea what's going on, i would recomend that if a new reader wants to start readind DD comics it would be good to start with an origin story to know the character, then continue with a story like "Born Again", "Guardian Devil" or something like that and then start reading the on going series. Smile
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it depends how deeply a new reader wants to get into DD.

For someone who plans on making it their first monthly comic-book buy, believing that DD could be their new favourite superhero, I would actually say read five or so issues of the first ever series. It may seem very old-fashioned and "kapow!" but this way you get the origin story and you get the relationship with Karen which will make reading Born Again all the more enjoyable. From there, Miller/Janson's run, then Born Again, then right onto V2.

For a new casual reader, like you said, you could start with Guardian Devil, Bendis' run or even Waid's run.
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it really depends on the reading history of this new Daredevil reader. Is he/she new to comicbooks in general? Or is he/she a longtime comics reader that is just branching out to this character?

All the Miller stuff would be great for the seasoned comics reader. Maybe even the newbies that have love for crime fiction. And I would certianly go this route BEFORE suggesting any of the vol.2 stuff (Bendis & Brubaker).
Love and War, Elektra: Assassin, and Elektra Lives Again (in oversized!) are gems that older/seasoned readers will no doubt appreciate.

For the new to comicbooks reader that wants to start with DD, I'd try to hand them something that might be more visually appealing. Of course, art being subjective, it is going to depend on each person's tastes. I have had friends stand in front of my bookcases and just open collections to see what they might like, regardless of what the story might be about. Guardian Devil for Joe Q art and DD: Yellow for Tim Sale art seem to be ones that I lend out the most to the new to comicbooks reader.
Solid_Payne
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends. If they've already read many comics, then definitely Miller, because it's the beginning of when the modern day version of the character begins. It's a little dated, but it essentially builds DD's world as we know it, with bars, dirty streets, dark skies, corruption, ninja, cops, gangsters, super-heroes occasionally checking in...it has all the things that grew to define the character and his adventures. Visionaries 1 is cool, but Visionaries 2 is where it gets interesting.

If they're a reader of a lot of contemporary literature, I would say start with Bendis as a good bet. He's relatable as a writer and the pop-culture references and attitudes are still very modern. This goes for Waid a little bit too.

If they like more 'throwback' pulpy crime adventures that are more self contained and a lot like dime store novels of olde in structure, read Brubaker (they should probably still read Miller and Bendis first though)

If they like embracing some of the goofier elements, and are also casual readers (of not just comics but books) then Mark Waid's run is good for that; very entertaining, rarely over-indulgent, high-flying escapades. Like a good cartoon show.

Man Without Fear is pretty violent, but also very good for people who really like superhero origin smovies
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: