Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Should Frank Miller ever write Daredevil again?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
train
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it could happen. Looks like there is going to be a DK3. Is another shot on Daredevil around the corner?

http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/24/8493407/frank-miller-batman-the-dark-knight-returns-dc-comics
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

train wrote:
Is another shot on Daredevil around the corner

I doubt it. I don't think Miller has ever forgiven Marvel for "Fall From Grace."
kentuckydevil
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimetre wrote:
train wrote:
Is another shot on Daredevil around the corner

I doubt it. I don't think Miller has ever forgiven Marvel for "Fall From Grace."

please explain..having read all of millers run as it was published I don't understand the connection..

Although there was a long period of time..essentially the entire 90's where I was gone from this medium I love so much...

thanks ky,..
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the reverse is true, Chichester was pissed off that Miller had a heavily promoted story (The Man Without Fear) published exactly at the same time as his Fall From Grace story. I haven't heard that Miller was pissed off by Chichester's story. It makes no sense, really. He knows there's a regular writer who writes stories. Marvel clearly treated his story as the priority anyway.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kentuckydevil wrote:
please explain..having read all of millers run as it was published I don't understand the connection..

I'll cite two sources.

The first -- Julian Darius' essay entitled "What Fall From Grace? Reappraising the Chichester Years" which can be found in the book The Devil is in the Details: Examining Matt Murdock and Daredevil (Sequart Literacy and Research Organization, 2013, Edited by Ryan Lindsay).
Quote:
Miller was vocal about his disapproval. he was busy preparing his extended retelling of Daredevil's origins, in the mini-series Daredevil: Man without Fear (#1-5, Oct 1993 -Feb 1994), which would be published alongside the final five issues of "Fall From Grace." The two combined to create a kind of Daredevil fever not seen since Miller's "Born Again." Then, in protest over Elektra's return, Miller announced this would be his final work for Marvel -- a vow he's kept ever since.

My other source is Sean Howe's great book Marvel Comics: The Untold Story (Harper Perennial, 2012).
Quote:
In the pages of Daredevil, Elektra returned after nearly a decade, much to the consternation of Miller, who'd been promised that the character would not be used without his involvement. "It stings like hell," Miller told an interviewer. "But I can't bellyache too long and hard, because a generation of Kirby and Ditko didn't have the ground rules spelled out the way I did, and they got ripped off a lot worse than I did. So Marvel can drag that corpse around the block all they want."

According to the same book, Miller paid tribute to Jack Kirby at an industry seminar in Baltimore in June 1994, and was highly critical of Marvel, accusing the company of thievery, and saying that the only way to talk about the future of comics was to talk about its "sad, sorry, history of broken lives... of talents denied the legal ownership of what they created with their own hands and minds, ignored or treated as nuisances while their creations went on to make millions of dollars."
Darkdevil
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a side-note, what's the general consensus on his Elektra Lives Again GN? I was looking to get a copy for I'd heard that this GN and his Love & War GN served as a kind of bridge between his original DD run and Born Again. Is that a fair assessment?
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh that's right, I forgot he was pissed off about the Elektra thing. That's definitely true and may be something that prevents him from ever coming back.

DesignDevil
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the stories Frank Miller has given us. Born Again, The Man Without Fear, The Death of Elektra aren't just the best Daredevil stories ever written, they are some of the best comic stories ever written.

Should Frank Miller ever write Daredevil again?
No. No. Hell no. Please for the love of God no.
I'll admit to enjoying the psychotic post 9/11 ramblings he brought to Batman in a train-wreck kind of way, but I don't want that anywhere near Daredevil.

I really don't want any of the major writers to revisit the character. Ever.
Miller went crazy.
Bendis already tried with the toilet paper that was End of Days.
Waid was great with Vol 3, but Vol 4 is one long WTF that can't end soon enough.
The only major writer I might be okay with returning to Daredevil would be Ed Brubaker, but I think he was burned out by the end with superhero comics in general, which is why he probably wouldn't ever come back. His heart wouldn't be in it.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkdevil wrote:
On a side-note, what's the general consensus on his Elektra Lives Again GN? I was looking to get a copy for I'd heard that this GN and his Love & War GN served as a kind of bridge between his original DD run and Born Again. Is that a fair assessment?

No. Elektra Lives again is great. Love and War is SUPER great. The unmentioned Elektra Assassin is SUPER SUPER great. BUT, they're completely unrelated to Born Again. The really interesting thing about Born Again is that there's no mention of Elektra, Stick, Ninjas or Vanessa.

As for whether or not Miller should make more DD. Sure! Why not? It would probably be crap but it could be good. I'm in favor of more stuff always. Better to take a chance than not.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RGdesigner wrote:
I really don't want any of the major writers to revisit the character. Ever.
Miller went crazy.
Bendis already tried with the toilet paper that was End of Days.
Waid was great with Vol 3, but Vol 4 is one long WTF that can't end soon enough.
The only major writer I might be okay with returning to Daredevil would be Ed Brubaker, but I think he was burned out by the end with superhero comics in general, which is why he probably wouldn't ever come back. His heart wouldn't be in it.

I thought 3 Jacks by Ann Nocenti was a pretty good little story.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: