Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Black Panther: Man Without Fear / Most Dangerous Man

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skaughtto
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Black Panther: Man Without Fear / Most Dangerous Man Reply with quote

I finished up reading the "Black Panther in Hell's Kitchen" books recently(took a while to find the last issue) and it was a pretty good run. Getting another hero's take on the city was fun. Intros summarize that T'challa destroyed all the vibranium in Wakanda during a battle to save his people, but doing so financially ruined the country. He stepped down as king, left the mantle of the Black Panther to his sister, and came to Hell's Kitchen to find himself and protect the city at Matt Murdock's request.

Matt Murdock shows up at the beginning and end of the books with some good dialogue that fills in why he's leaving and then why he's returning. Lady Bullseye, Typhoid Mary, the Kingpin and the Hand show up in the final story arc. Someone had told me that a number of developments happened with DD villains, but nothing huge came up. Maybe it explains why the Kingpin is no longer in the city leading the hand, but overall nothing monumental. There's a small "Born Again" parallel that I won't spoil and I'd say the issues are worth getting. At least the acknowledge that Shadowland happened and try to paint a story around it during the final arc.

At times I feel a bit cheated that volume 3 has very little to do with Shadowland and developments from volume 2. Some of the best Daredevil stories deal with how Matt Murdock responds to epic disasters(Elektra killed, Karen Page killed, "Born Again", etc.). Even if Shadowland wasn't the greatest event, the story of him rising up and trying to redeem himself could have been really good.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggle dealt with Shadowland fallout in Daredevil: Reborn, but I hardly feel I was alone in just wanting to leave Shadowland behind. In a way, Mark Waid is dealing with Shadowland by having Matt consciously choose to not deal with Shadowland.

Have those Black Panthers been collecting in trades?
Skaughtto
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought most of the comics from $1 bins and midtown. Looks like they have been collected in three trades...

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Panther-Without-Fear-Vol/dp/0785145230/
#513-518

http://www.amazon.com/Fear-Itself-Black-Panther-Without/dp/0785158103/
#519-523, 524

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Panther-Dangerous-Kingpin-Unnumbered/dp/078516037X/
#523.1, 525-529

The current "All-New X-Men" series has a lot to do with Cyclops killing someone while he was under the control, or possessed by, the Phoenix Force. Similar questions could be brought up with Shadowland... How much control did Matt Murdock have over his actions while he was possessed? Why couldn't he stop his own actions? Did he see the things he did? How did he feel about them? Does it say something about Matt deep down?

I'll have to go back and read "Daredevil: Reborn" and "Shadowland: After the Fall" again. I read those right before starting volume 3 and they tied off Shadowland fairly well at the time.

I've been reading volume 1 starting from #158 and just finished the "Born Again" issues. The two or three issues immediately after were almost unreadable just because they had nothing to do with the HUGE events that took place. As much fun as it is to have Daredevil bounce around like a cartoon character from villain to villain, I do like to have some overlapping context.

... and I wasn't into Shadowland - it did very little for the character and didn't go anywhere really interesting. I think Mark Waid could rub Matt's nose in it for just a couple issues, just to see what how he responds. Even after "Born Again" citizens were kinda blaming Daredevil for Nuke showing up. He had to deal with the backlash and question himself for an issue or two.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skaughtto wrote:
Similar questions could be brought up with Shadowland... How much control did Matt Murdock have over his actions while he was possessed? Why couldn't he stop his own actions? Did he see the things he did? How did he feel about them? Does it say something about Matt deep down?

You see, I feel Diggle rendered those questions moot with the final page of #512, when he wrote something like, "When I killed Bullseye, that wasn't the Beast. That was me." And I'll never forgive Diggle for that. A horrible misunderstanding of the character, which renders Shadowland a completely useless story in my opinion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: