Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Original Sin - Anyone else worried about this?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: Original Sin - Anyone else worried about this? Reply with quote

My Spidey sense is firing like crazy over this one.

First off, the promo blurb says:

"The story will focus on Sister Maggie -- the nun who helped raise young Matt Murdock when his mother left -- who is currently in prison and holding on to some secrets that will redefine how Matt views himself."

Isn't Maggie his mother? I skipped DD: Father and Battlin' Jack Murdock but did they ret-con something?

Second off:

""It was actually a suggestion by Joe Quesada, a good one," reveals Waid."

That's not good.

Third off:

Let's just leave origins alone, shall we? Adding detail and revealing NEW and EXCITING revelations about a character's origin is very rarely a good idea and usually does more damage than good. When Maggie arrived in Born Again she did so in an amazingly subtle way. The revelation that Matt's mom is a nun immediately raised a number of interesting questions as well as added a layer of tragedy to the whole story. We didn't know what the story was but we knew it was likely sad and involved someone trying to do the right thing somehow. Leaving most of the story unsaid lets you wonder about it.

Now Quesada has a great idea about the details of the story? Isn't this the same guy who thought up One More Day and decided it'd be cool if Matt had lost his sight saving a pedo?

I predict badness.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

might I add that Quesada came up with the brilliant idea:
"Ok so the blind guy who Matt saved as a kid was a maniac who abused his daughter and so she ended up becoming a serial killer who felt the need of saying that to Matt as she died"
DesignDevil
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything about this worries me. As others have mentioned, this idea apparently comes from "lets make the old man a child molester" Quesada. No confidence there.

Also, "Grace Murdock"????? I was under the impression that Jack and Maggie we're never married. Maybe I missed a story somewhere on that, but regardless of marital status her name has always been MAGGIE. Every appearance. Including scenes from when Matt is an infant. Jack refers to her as Maggie in every flashback and origin story.

This whole thing stinks of pointless changes for the sake of change, not to serve the story and characters in any way.
Darkdevil
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not ready to freak out over a story that I haven't read yet. In fact, I'm rather intrigued by this.

This may be Joe Q's idea but it's Waid who will be writing it. I have much more faith in his writing capability than I do in Joe Q.

Any talented writer can inject something original and relevant into a character's origin without significantly altering it. Miller did this to high praise. A more recent example comes to mind in Keiron Gillen's current run on Iron Man. He added a stunning revelation about Stark's origin without altering it. I count Waid amongst those writers capable of such change.

Plus, Maggie joined a covent...why? I don't recall any mention of her specific reasons for doing so. I think exploring this area makes better use of a tie-in to an event called 'Original Sin'.

Lastly, according to later interviews, Waid mentions that Matt may end up traveling to Wakanda. First Latvia, now Wakanda? Heck yeah!
Dragonbat
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the wait-and-see camp, too. Of course, I'm a DC refugee who firmly believes that whatever this is, it's going to be better than the Nu52 that's driven me to Marvel. Embarassed
GrinchieDog
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to say I'm reserving judgment but I'm with James on this one.

I hope they aren't creating the story about Maggie as well. I know it must be hard for writers to come up with new, original, interesting (but respect the continuity to some degree) stories. But I wish they would stop mining some of the aspects of these characters that defined who they are and how they evolved into their character. When Miller introduced Maggie, it was mysterious and magical and it would have been ruined if a 5 comic series came out immediately afterwards telling the story. Frank obviously knew better.

I was not a fan of the Father series or for that matter the Battln' Jack Murdock series. The former took a great idea of Matt saving an old man and turned it into a sordid story. The latter story somehow has Matt's dad, as he is dying, realizing that Matt has special powers (it has been awhile but it was something like that). As James says above, keeping the unknown about some of this canon is much more impactful and interesting than spelling it out in great detail. Leave Maggie alone!

And if you are struggling to come up with original stories and are stuck in the confines of continuity, start up a new Ultimates series. I'd read an alternate version of DD anyday.

Well, at least they haven't brought back Bucky or Jason Todd. Err wait....

Grinchiedog
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: