Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Keeping the Faith

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: Keeping the Faith Reply with quote

...or In Defence of Creativity.

In an effort to put a positive spin on the discussion as well as to avoid getting lost in the now devolved prior threads I thought I'd start a new happy thread to say this: I think it's important that anyone writing Daredevil now or in the future know that there are fans out that that welcome new ideas.

The weird thing about comics is that they started as a medium in which there were no limits. Anything you could think of could happen. Wild, way out there creativity was/is the name of the game. But it seems like almost immediately a certain portion of the comic reading public started to demand limits. Spider-man would never do that! Punisher could never say this! The events of #341 don't jive with the events in #57! This, that and the other are CENTRAL to the book and must therefore never be changed.

I think that kind of dogmatic attitude is terrible, stifles creativity and has no place in a book like Daredevil which has a fantastic history of wildly creative runs.

The idea that Daredevil has a "core" that must be respected is seductive at first but breaks down immediately if you consider the history of the character. What's his core? Blind lawyer who protects Hell's Kitchen? Well that knocks out Born Again because that took the lawyer thing away. Also knocks out virtually all of Nocenti's run (where he's both not a lawyer and not in New York). Knocks out the Daredevil and Black Widow days too among many, many more stories.

If the dogmatic "you can stray but only so far" cry of the uncreative was followed Daredevil never would have gone to hell. He never would have wandered in upstate New York. He wouldn't have flipped burgers in Born Again. He wouldn't have got his sight back. The book wouldn't have featured one of the first non-married cohabitating couples. Waid's run wouldn't have happened. Shadowland wouldn't have happened. Flying Blind wouldn't have happened. Fall From Grace wouldn't have happened. And yeah, half those stories are complete garbage but the other half are great.

The fact that a world where things are allowed to change and to change dramatically is illustrated over and over again by Miller. In his first run he was obviously like "you know what? this needs more ninjas" and then there was ninjas! And Elektra and Stick and the Chaste and it was great. But then he does Born Again and promptly forgets about all that junk. Elektra isn't mentioned once in Born Again. I don't think Stick is either and there sure aren't any ninjas but it was great anyway. And then he writes Man Without Fear and the ninjas are back but now Elektra is some crazy psychopath and it's all great too.

The point is that comics are supposed to be a medium where anything goes and I think once you start putting limits on it you're missing the point and doing the medium a disservice. You know what? I want Matt to go to space. How do his senses work in the vacuum or space? Do they work at all? I want him to spend a year in Japan. Wouldn't that be cool? I want him to give up being Daredevil and just be a lawyer for a run. Maybe we'd get some actually good lawyer stories that way.

So while you might not like everything that's just the price you pay for every once and while getting something truly great.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Darkdevil
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Keeping the Faith Reply with quote

james castle wrote:

In an effort to put a positive spin on the discussion as well as to avoid getting lost in the now devolved prior threads I thought I'd start a new happy thread to say this: I think it's important that anyone writing Daredevil now or in the future know that there are fans out that that welcome new ideas.

Exactly.

It's not about tearing down or destroying the foundation of Matt's character rather it's about showing the character in different situations and genres. How does he act, react, function in scenarios that aren't his usual norm?

Matt as a lawyer, living in NYC, serving in a noir genre is fine, it's his status quo. Comics is a flexible enough medium that Marvel can and should occasionally push Matt beyond that status quo because it can eventually be restored, perhaps even tweaked in the process.

We're not saying Matt should never fight mobsters, gangsters, or ninjas ever again. But variety keeps the character fresh and vibrant. Talented writers can create many a varied noir tale but you don't want to the core genre to become stagnant or stale. Taking a break from it would also be advantageous and help rejuvenate the genre for the character when it does make it's inevitable return.

Plus, limiting Matt's actions to just NYC is doing him a big disservice. He is part of the massive, inclusive Marvel Universe. He should be shown to be a prominent member, a contributing hero on his own right.

For example, I would love to see Matt live in and operate in Japan for a period of time. If Miller is considered the one to establish Matt's 'true' character, then he is also the one introduce major Oriental elements and Eastern mysticism into the book. So why not run full throttle with that? This possibility was one of my favorites when Matt took over the Hand at the end of Brubaker's run. Shadowland squandered that opportunity but it doesn't mean that it wouldn't be worthwhile to see at some point.
Dragonbat
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen. I firmly believe that there are no ideas/plots that are utterly without merit. Plots that are harder to execute believably? Yes, 100%. Plots that in general are difficult to accept for a particular book or character and would need to be carefully handled by an exceptional writer? Absolutely.

Some of the best and most memorable stories come about from shaking up the status quo in a big way. (Not only talking DD here.) Yes, sometimes as stated in the OP, the shakeup yields garbage... but it's often far more interesting garbage than usual. And sometimes, there are a few diamonds in that trash heap that make you sit up and take notice. The stories may be good and they may be bad... but they are rarely forgettable.
McFly
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Keeping the Faith Reply with quote

Darkdevil wrote:
james castle wrote:

Exactly.

I agree!
And I really love the way you wrote that.

Some people on this board should really understand this first, before they spend their nights trying to argue how bad (in their eyes) some ideas are.

I really apprechiate any new spin and twist in the Daredevil books. In comics, nothing is completely irreversible, and if people dont like it, it'll likely wont stick around. More often than not, bad ideas will get swept under the rug. Thats how its always been and frankly: I like it that way.

I much rather read a book with a few misses, than a book that doesnt even took the shots. I apprechiate change every now and then, and Daredevil is a chracter that stood the test of time. You can literally sit those things out untill their're back to "normal".
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everything stated on this thread so far.

If writers and artists don't take any risks, then they might as well not be writing or drawing at all. It's only through taking risks that the characters grow as well.
Darkdevil
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations to Mark Waid and Chris Samnee on their nominations for this year's Harvey Awards!

Waid is nominated for Best Writer, Samnee earned two nominations for Best Artist and Best Cover Artist and Daredevil received a nomination for Best Continuing or Limited Series.
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't oppose creativity or new ideas.
I oppose poor writing hiding behind creativity and/or new ideas. Smile
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francesco wrote:

*cough cough* Kevin Smith *cough cough*.

But, yeah, I agree. And at the risk of making a positive thread negative I'll just repeat that I'm no longer enjoying Waid's run and the idea that he is now hiding behind "fresh ideas!" rings true to me.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
qtmxd
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
Francesco wrote:

*cough cough* Kevin Smith *cough cough*.

But, yeah, I agree. And at the risk of making a positive thread negative I'll just repeat that I'm no longer enjoying Waid's run and the idea that he is now hiding behind "fresh ideas!" rings true to me.

Too late now, James... you can just declare victory for your version of comics and you own it Smile Marvel agrees with you, even if I don't. With Matt going to court against She-Hulk, and meeting Iron Man in SF, Waid's "practices law with no secret identity in San Francisco" has become a status quo that can still end with Waid, or last through creative teams into infinity. And with Karen as a tv character, (which is too much of the past even for me, though probably no one else), the divergence between the mass media versions and the comic versions is even more obvious than it should have been already, what with all the Avengers reboots. Media mostly uses past stories, often very old, while the comics keep rebooting. Stan's "illusion of change" is gone, if it was ever there. Well, maybe I'll like something at some point, and I have my memories. Being a fan means being dependent on what artists do, and that has it's drawbacks. If any art form means that much to you, make up your own stuff.
train
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qtmxd wrote:
. Media mostly uses past stories, often very old, while the comics keep rebooting.

Not trying to hijack the thread but you are right here. The movies have typically taken the more memorable comic arcs and added their own spin on them. The latest X movie was really only vaguely resembled the comic it was based on, but I enjoyed the movie more than the comic.

I think there is conventional wisdom that comic movie viewers will wonder into a comic store to pick up the latest issue of "fill in the blank". I've often wondered if that is true. I'd be surprised if the comics see much of a bump after the release of a movie. I think 99% of movie viewers are content to watch Cap kick butt for 90 minutes and go home. With the rumors of Marvel canceling Fantastic Four prior to the movie seems to validate my theory. Or maybe I'm reading too much into it....
jriddle
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

train wrote:
I think there is conventional wisdom that comic movie viewers will wonder into a comic store to pick up the latest issue of "fill in the blank". I've often wondered if that is true. I'd be surprised if the comics see much of a bump after the release of a movie. I think 99% of movie viewers are content to watch Cap kick butt for 90 minutes and go home.

Up through the early '90s, comics got a huge bump from well-received screen adaptations. At the time of the first Burton BATMAN, for example, DC literally had problems finding enough paper on which to print the Batman books. Can't speak for how things are now, after the industry has contracted so badly (back then, you could buy comics anywhere; now, they're hard to even find). The majors treat the conventional wisdom as if it was true, and even still publish comics based on properties that started elsewhere (Smallville, True Blood, etc.). Maybe it still is.
qtmxd
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to guess how business works when even business people often guess wrong is a shot in the dark, but the audience for comics is so much smaller than for media, that the comics might as well be resigned to it by now, and work with it. The media consistently uses older, foundational stories , and I think even using something as recent as Winter Soldier is an exception. They'd rather re-tell an origin for the umpteenth time than jump into the middle of recent continuity. As such, while we might think the media and comics should coincide, there's really no imperative for that. (Spider-Man comics brought back Peter in time for the movie, but it's not like Peter's world was ever gone in the comics.) There's no Avengers movie in theaters now, but they're in constant dvd circulation, and Marvel is obviously not trying to make the comics line-up coincide. When a new movie comes out, there's no inherent reason why the male Thor has to be back. It's not like anyone would forget him. I assumed that tv viewers seeing a serious, noir DD on television would be disappointed if they checked out the book for the first time and found what looks to me like a Hanna Barbera cartoon, but they might even be intrigued by the contrast, who knows. Having contrasting visions in media and comics might even turn out to be good business, twice the bang of for the buck.
And then there's the possibilities of different strategies when Marvel owns both film and comics (DD and Avengers), and when they don't own the films (FF, X-Men, and Spider-Man).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: