Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

A Return To Original Issue Numbering

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WAMurrell
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: A Return To Original Issue Numbering Reply with quote

I have been giving this issue some thought as of late. Why doesn't Marvel bring back the original issue numbering back seen throughout Volume 1 of Daredevil and briefly returned to at the end of Volume 2? According to my mathematical calculations, as of Daredevil #6 (Volume 4), the issue numbering should be in the 550s area.

Now, I understand the marketing and creative aspects of renumbering a series but when a comic series runs continuously for 50 years without interruption (I consider Daredevil: Reborn a continuation of the results of Volume 2 which leads into Volume 3), should not the numbering system continue, as well?

Couldn't Marvel design an issue number box for its covers that would include the current Volume's issue number along with the Series' issue number; similar to what they did leading up to the 500th issue in Volume 2?

In my database of Daredevil comics, I have both its volume issue number as well as its series issue number.

I think of the issue numbering as the root system of a comic series. The higher the issue, the stronger the series will be. It seems, though, that as the continual renumbering occurs, Daredevil's root system is being destroyed. Volume 1 lasts 380 issues before being replaced with 132 issues in Volume 2 to 36 issues in Volume 3. Time will tell how long Volume 4 will run but I would bet close to Volume 3's run. Now, if we were talking about Daredevil #553 instead of Daredevil (Volume 4) #5, people would know, just by hearing 553, that Daredevil has stood the test of time and came out strong. Let these same people hear Volume 4 #5 and they might wonder why so many volumes.

Daredevil has been around for 50 years and that is an accomplishment worth celebrating. By eliminating the one noticeable connection that Volume 4 has to Volume 1, Marvel is sending a message that we only care about the present and the 548 previous issues of Daredevil are no longer important.

My soapbox is turned over to someone else.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately that ship has sailed. In the 80s and 90s, during volume 1, it would have never even occurred to me that Marvel could/would restart the numbering with a new "volume". I guess they had done that for the heroes reborn but it just seemed impossible to me. Daredevil, along with all the other oldies had a high number of issues and that was that. New series like X-Men or Spider-Man could pop up but a new volume wasn't even on my radar.

Of course, that was then. We're in volume 4 now. Rebooting and renumbering is the name of Marvel's game. At this point returning to the original numbering would be hard and wouldn't even make much sense. I skipped Daredevil Reborn and consider it a mini and not part of the main series. I guess you feel the opposite way. And for every one of us there are a bunch of people who don't get that we're in volume 4 to begin with.

It's a shame that Marvel keeps Number 1ing Daredevil but once volume 2 showed up the spell of a high number maintained since the 60s was broken and I don't think it'll be unbroken ever.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Bullseye11
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mostly agree with you. I could understand why daredevil had a volume 2 since it was cancelled for a few years but volume 3 and 4 are just annoying. Especially since they have the same writer. But there's not much we can do, in the end it's still daredevil but just with a new number in the corner. And it makes marvel more money so they can have more comics for people to read. Perhaps in a few decades when daredevil turns 1,000 and DD is in volume 27 marvel will decide to go back to original numbering.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bullseye11 wrote:
I mostly agree with you. I could understand why daredevil had a volume 2 since it was cancelled for a few years.

Nope. Volume 2 started immediately after volume 1 ended. Smith's run was announced and expected before volume 1 came to an end.

Of course, being a hack, Smith was so slow with the issues sometimes it felt like a few years went by between issues.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?

Last edited by james castle on Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total
WAMurrell
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your insight.

While I wish the original issue numbering would return, I know it will not.

But who knows. Some said the Boston Red Sox would never win the World Series. Maybe Marvel will forget there is more than one volume and return to the original number system.
Bullseye11
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
Bullseye11 wrote:
I mostly agree with you. I could understand why daredevil had a volume 2 since it was cancelled for a few years.

Nope. Volume 2 started immediately after volume 1 ended. Smith's run was announced and expected before volume 1 came to an end.

Of course, being a hack, Smith was so slow with the issues sometimes it felt like a few years went by between issues.

Whoops, my mistake. I started reading DD in the middle of volume 2 so I wasn't there for the jump. I thought I read some where that there was a few years in between those volumes but I guess i was wrong. Anyway, thanks for informing me and stopping me from sounding like an idiot again some other time.
Ryu Murdock
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another dilemma is Black Panther: Man Without Fear which continued the number of Daredevil up 'til #523 before changing the subtitle to The Most Dangerous Man Alive. Will that be counted? Daredevil volume 3 started before they dropped The Man Without Fear from Black Panther.
WAMurrell
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good observation with the issues concerning Black Panther. I have not read them so have no idea to their content so my comments come from a reader trying to understand Marvel's current issue numbering strategy.

Could Marvel have kept the issue numbering the same to attract the readers that followed Daredevil to now follow Black Panther before giving him his own series with a #1? If this was the case, these issues should be ignored as it pertains to Daredevil's issue numbering. If Marvel can reboot a çomic with a new #1, what's stopping them from starting at #513?

Could Marvel have kept the issue numbering the same to keep the original Daredevil numbering going in case they decided to return Daredevil to his comic after the completion of the Reborn mini-series? Black Panther's storyline could have centered around protecting Hell's Kitchen during Daredevil's absence only to have him return at the end of BP's storyline. The Reborn mini-series could have been a storyline following BP's story. In this scenerio, Reborn would have continued the original issue numbering so the issues with Black Panther would play a part in Daredevil's issue numbering.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I'm new here, but please excuse my off the cuff remarks.

I can't fault going to Volume 2 given where Daredevil was at the end of Volume 1. It was a good excuse to say "hey, this is different." Going from Volume 2 to Volume 3 makes less sense, but I can see keeping the number somewhat reasonable (going back for 500 was cool, but I can see 530 being a little intimidating for new readers). However, I can't think of any reason we went from 3 to 4. 3 wasn't that high, number-wise, and we have the same writer. I know Daredevil changed location, but he's done that before. Are we going to 5 when he comes back?

Given this, I think the only options are to go forward with Volumes 5, 6, and 7 or go back to the original numbering system. My guess is we'll eventually go back for good.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: