Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL #7 Preview, Reviews and Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What did you think of DAREDEVIL #7?
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
60%
 60%  [ 6 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 10

Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject: DAREDEVIL #7 Preview, Reviews and Discussion Reply with quote

DAREDEVIL #7 by Waid, Rodriguez & Lopez ships August 20th and here's the preview:

http://www.manwithoutfear.com/gallery/Daredevil-V4-007

Please use this thread for discussion on this Original Sin tie-in.
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't like the backstory with Maggie. I wish they would have just left her story alone.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I've been enjoying Original Sin much more than any other Marvel crossover event since Dark Reign or Seige, the tie-ins have proven to be disappointing. They don't make sense.

Uatu was supposed to see everything. Therefore nothing is hidden from him. So when the Orb detonated his eye, everyone in the vicinity were supposed to have a secret newly exposed to them. I have read the tie-ins for All New Invaders, Hulk vs. Iron Man and now Daredevil. In all three instances, it turned out that those in vicinity of the bomb were given only partial information.

Invaders: Radiance was furious with the Invaders for doing nothing to prevent the atomic bombs from being detonated over Hiroshima and Nagasaki. It turns out the Invaders new nothing about the Manhattan Project.

Hulk vs. Iron Man: The Hulk is furious with Iron Man, because he now knows Stark tinkered with the bomb that ended up turning Banner into the Hulk. It turns out all Stark's tinkering did was make the bomb less lethal, and if not for that, Banner might not have survived at all.

SPOILERS AHEAD

Daredevil: Due to post-partum depression, Maggie lashed out at Jack, and slipped on the kitchen floor, which led to her leaning against the wall of the kitchen with a bloody face as we saw in #6. She ran out, and ended up joining a convent, because she thought she was endangering her son.

END OF SPOILERS

Why are those in the blast radius only being fed partial information? That doesn't make any sense, and leads to all of the stories ending the same way.

I feel that #6 was a deliberate mislead on the part of Waid and Rodriguez, and that feels cheap. It is commendable that light is being shed on the topic of post-partum depression (and kudos to Ellie Pyle for using the letters page to provide further information), but I can't help but feel maniuplated as a reader by the mislead.

On the plus side, I enjoyed how Matt got out of the jam by using his skills as a litigator more than anything else. It was also good to finally deal with the reasons why Maggie left, and that explanation is satisfying, no matter how much it makes the previous issue feel like a cheat.

Now that this Original Sin tie-in is over, I'm hoping that #8 will return Waid and Samnee to the quality I was enjoying in Volume 3.
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn, the whole "use hypersonic thingamajig" has quickly become a cheap diabolus-ex-machina. Two issues in a row?
Also, how am I supposed to like DD as a vigilante? He used to be an hell of a fighter, now he regularly gets his ass handed to him by ordinary goons and I should later marvel at how good a lawyer he is?

apart from that, I liked the whole explanation for why Maggie left Matt. It fits almost seamlessly with the events in Man Without Fear and the origin story.

All in all, this issues gets a 3, from me.
McFly
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimetre wrote:

Why are those in the blast radius only being fed partial information? That doesn't make any sense, and leads to all of the stories ending the same way.

you do know, that you were reading a comic book, right? Watchers dont really exist. so the fact that one of his dead eyeballs explode in a burst of fragmented information doesnt have to make perfect sense. Rolling Eyes

and even by comic book logic, I dont really see where the problem is? it was one eyeball. just because the watcher sees everything, it doesnt mean that every one in the blast radius has to have seen everything about everything. the watchers are kinda mysterious, so it does make enough sense in terms of the story for it to work in a way we dont fully grasp.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McFly wrote:
you do know, that you were reading a comic book, right? Watchers dont really exist. so the fact that one of his dead eyeballs explode in a burst of fragmented information doesnt have to make perfect sense. Rolling Eyes

and even by comic book logic, I dont really see where the problem is? it was one eyeball. just because the watcher sees everything, it doesnt mean that every one in the blast radius has to have seen everything about everything. the watchers are kinda mysterious, so it does make enough sense in terms of the story for it to work in a way we dont fully grasp.

But every story opened with, "This character found out a secret, and now that they know it, it changes EVERYTHING." Then each story ended with, "But the secret wasn't really what they thought it was, so no big whoop." The stories didn't add up to much at all. It's a cheat. Whether I'm reading a comic book or Dostoyevsky, such storytelling is a cheat.
humanaccident
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Watcher thing didn't bother me, as stated above it is a comic and its all a bit silly really.
The sonic attack thing WILL be dealt with, we are clearly building to something happening with that.
The Sister Maggie thing was excellent, really good twist on the tale, and explains alot about why she left etc.

Overall decent issue, artwork was a bit better than it has been, less cartoonish at least.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the real reveal is that The Watcher only ever had some of the story and was basically wandering around confused most of the time.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
the gael
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was furious after reading the last issue. But, luckily, Waid redeemed himself with this one. This is not his best issue, far from it. The Wakanda subplot wasn't that interesting and was just here to give Matt some action. But the Maggie revelation is more interesting and touching. I hope that next issue we see Waid writing his traditional DD only issue, which are so much better than the big tie in ones. And the return of a certain purple enemy is somewhat exciting, to say the least.
Darkdevil
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimetre wrote:
McFly wrote:

But every story opened with, "This character found out a secret, and now that they know it, it changes EVERYTHING." Then each story ended with, "But the secret wasn't really what they thought it was, so no big whoop." The stories didn't add up to much at all. It's a cheat. Whether I'm reading a comic book or Dostoyevsky, such storytelling is a cheat.

Well, for starters, try putting spoiler warnings for all the OS information you gave in your first post instead of just the DD info. Some readers here may still want to read those stories.

Second, these stories did change SOMETHING, whether physically or merely altering their perceptions.

The Spider-Man Sin introduced a brand-new character who apparently will draw out Morlun and lead into the upcoming Spider-Verse event, that's major.

Thor discovers a lost sister and an entire hidden realm that was involved in a previously unknown war with Asgard. I'd call that a major change.

While you did reveal the more obvious change in Hulk & Iron Man, at least you didn't reveal the more subtle change, the one that shows that the sin of Pride was just as much at fault for the creation of the Hulk than anything Bruce and Tony did or did not do. Your perception and their perception has changed, which is major.

Just as it was here in this DD Sin. (My LCS is about 45 minutes away from home so I usually make a run there once a month. Hence I'm covering #6-7 here.)

I give this overall arc a 4. This was some strong storytelling by Waid. Maggie's history was a wide-open book and I think Waid did an excellent job in exposing some. As with Foggy's cancer, they took a very serious illness and highlighted it in a very moving way. That they gave out actual facts and numbers for that condition in the letters page was terrific.

Matt's perceptions of his parents has been changed. His father remains his guiding light while he learns what drove his parents apart. Very touching (especially the last shot of them on the tarmac in #7).

The Wakadan sub-plot was a bit of a stretch but really, this isn't the first time an American general has gone off the reservation in a such a way. A bonus to revealing his identity publicly is now Matt doesn't have to solve Every. Single. Problem. with his fists. He can utilize his sharp mind and wits which he did here brilliantly.

Of course, a negative effect is now every bad guy who does his homework can know how to effectively combat him. The use of ultra-sonics in these last issues was interesting, something Matt definitely has to take into consideration now.

Kudos to Waid and the entire creative team for their terrific work on these stories.
DesignDevil
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend who has been reading Daredevil since the 80s sent me this text today thats sums up the last two issue better than I or anyone else ever could. - "Just read DD 6 and 7. WTF man, I just wasted 8 bucks on what should have been a 6 page backup story."
LightningandIce
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got around to picking it up today. I've been really busy lately and only got the chance to stop by today.

I think this issue was okay, but a little weak. The last issue was pretty good. While it wasn't perfect, it was suspenseful and intriguing. This one was much more straightforward. Matt fights guys, then talks to Black Panther chick while fighting her, then talks to Maggy. The end. It seemed way to straightforward and tied everything up too cleanly, especially compared to last issue.

I do applaud Matt's resourcefulness, and the way it tied up Maggie's story was fine. It could have been a lot worse; I'm glad they didn't do any lasting damage to Jack's character. The Wakandan plot, like I said, was pretty anti-climactic after the way it was set up last issue.

By the way, there was something else I wanted to comment on. Perhaps those of you who are more acquainted with the Marvel universe can clear this up for me. Is there a good reason for Matt's pursuers being the way they are? They make a big deal about Wakanda being so technologically advanced, but their soldiers are walking around in loin cloths with spears? I imagine they do this because on a meta level, the western audience incorrectly associates deep Africa with tribal savages and stuff. I do think it's cool the way they tried to marry technology with that archetype in the form of spears and stuff, but come on, why are they not using guns and body armor? That's pretty ridiculous.
qtmxd
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Is there a good reason for Matt's pursuers being the way they are? They make a big deal about Wakanda being so technologically advanced, but their soldiers are walking around in loin cloths with spears? I imagine they do this because on a meta level, the western audience incorrectly associates deep Africa with tribal savages and stuff. I do think it's cool the way they tried to marry technology with that archetype in the form of spears and stuff, but come on, why are they not using guns and body armor? That's pretty ridiculous."

It was not only ridiculous, but offensive. Other than my fading hope that this is all a dream, I don't think there is any reason for this retro cartoonishness other than that's what Waid does .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: