Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Who's next after Waid?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoeWithoutFear
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's... an extremely small part of a larger whole. One that I'm willing to bet he didn't take the time to create.

Should he use it? Probably not. It can certainly be offensive. But, again, this is where you seem to only perceive things in nothing but black and white. In other words, if something can be offensive, then should it not EVER be done? Obviously it depends. I'm sure there are things some people find offensive that you would consider not at all a problem.

So, we all have to ask how many people would be offended at that one graphic? Or the aggregate of potentially offensive images/sounds in a given video.

For me, what's there certainly isn't helping anything. But it also doesn't confirm that Acerbus is a bad person out to cause or perpetuate pain to others.

After all, the guy spends 45 minutes of a video he DID make talking about how amazing Queen is. Considering the name of the band and the well-known sexual orientation of one of the greatest frontmen of all time, Freddie Mercury, I don't know how much of a homophobe you can legitimately call the guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dY_mc7jU29k
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What on earth are you talking about? Listen to yourself. "Could be offensive". " Extremely small part". I literally watched two of his videos and that came up at the beginning of the second.

It's hilarious that you tried to create a group called HUG at whatever private community college you volunteer at and so predictable that it was shut down as the gross men's rights joke that it was.

Next time you invite people around to talk about perspectives ask some gay people how much they like being called fags. And so what he likes Queen? Tonnes of hate mongers like stuff created by the groups they attack.

Your fake passive stance is exposed by the fact that you're apparently okay with everything except feminism. Somehow you'll write a thesis on how the term "mansplaining" is problematic and hurtful but you're happy to look past clear examples of aggressive racism, antisemitism and homophobia. Hey "daresplaining" was only one little word in the entire issue. Why did that get a couple pages and "fag" gets a pass? Oh. I think I know.

You're disguising.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?

Last edited by james castle on Tue May 05, 2015 8:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
Daredevil24 wrote:
I'm guessing the "hello boys"caption on the picture was interpreted by some as Matt being gay(I personally didn't perceive it that way).I still like to see his youtube video that's supposedly so controversal.

Sigh, I should quit while I'm ahead but I poked around a bit more and can't resist dropping this here just because you were so ridiculous about it. Check out 0:16 of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1_Fbx1B-3s

Don't feel like going to Youtube? It's review of Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag. For a couple seconds there's a "joke" cover doctored to read "Ass Creed IV: Black Fag". The main character is edited to have stereotypical giant lips and "Ubisoft" has been edited to read "Jewsoft".

So yeah. Racism, homophobia and antisemitism in 16 seconds. I didn't watch the rest of the video.

So. Yep.
I do not condone that type of stuff.But I don't wanna continue this discussion any longer because every time I say something it seems to either come out the wrong way or you take it the wrong way so I think I'm done with this discussion.Thanks for the link. though
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear. A youtube channel of the average smartass dude who makes video about videogames and fills them with random crap desperately trying to be brilliant.
That's one of the cancers of our society.
JoeWithoutFear
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@James

The difference in my philosophy, which is very different than what you're used to seeing in what I assume are your social circles, is that when I hear someone use something hateful I want to know why they did it.

I want to do everything in my power to understand that person (hence looking up the Queen video), ask what it is they want, and then see how we can accomplish that without the hate. Acerbus seems to have checked out of this convo, but, otherwise I would still be asking him questions like I did a few pages ago. If you click back you'll see me telling him that I found some of his stuff went too far and then offered some reasons why he might be able to get what he wants by scaling it back.

There are such things as context and intent. I believe that those things matter. I do not think the image in Acerbus' video was trying to hurt anyone. It seems, at worst, that he is ignorant of it. So educate him. I can tell you, people do not learn from being yelled at and called a different batch of hateful words.

That's why I gave him slack. Because I believe we get further that way rather than writing people off and dismissing them and putting up walls in our minds. I then come across as leaning more one way because the only people who really try to push and set up walls in PUBLIC (and often virtual) spaces are those doing it in the name of "social justice." So, I come off like I'm on the "other" side simply because I end up challenging them more. Also because what they do is acceptable today. You can leave a quote in your profile about a woman tearing a man to shreds, but would the reverse go unnoticed?

Rest assured, if Waid tried to use any of those hateful words as a POSITIVE, as something that was demonstrating how society operated and should operate, I would be even more upset by it. But again, that's not what I think Acerbus intended. But, I could be wrong. I'm secure enough to admit that I can be wrong. =) I have no problem with admitting it because that's when people can grow.

Waid, on the other hand, did present mansplaining as a positive -- as something that is fun and should be done. So, yes, I had a problem with it. You also have to remember that in my experience, 99% of what I've seen done in the name of "feminism" does not reflect an earnest attempt at equality or fairness. It comes off usually as "eye for an eye" or "two wrongs makes a right." That's why I can't get behind it. I'm quite pro-equality and it's reflected in my daily actions. I just have a different philosophy on what I think is the best way to get there.

But, here's another difference between us. While you might find my welcoming approach "disgusting," remember, I will always be willing to talk to people who think like you and listen to what you have to say. Yet, it doesn't look like the reverse is true. What do you think happens to the people you dismiss? Do you think they disappear? Go off to an island somewhere? No. They're out there and now you've just shown them how right they are by exhibiting the very same prejudice you claim to be against.

If I could talk to Mark Waid, I would never shout at him or attack him as a person. I would criticize what I think is hack-writing, but I would ask him why he does it and what he wants out of it. Then I would try to explain to him some more practical ways to go about it.

But, when it comes to Waid, and a lot of what comic writers are doing with social justice these days, I am reminded of the fact that sometimes comic writers just want controversy. They want to stir the pot because it can generate interest and short-term sales. That doesn't sound progressive to me.

But, I could be wrong. And if I am wrong, I'd like to talk about it. But can we argue about it? Not really, because that's not remotely the same thing.

Remember, I checked out of this debate and I thought you had too. But then you started it up again by going and looking for proof of offensiveness and posting it to drag someone's name through the mud. You found a few milliseconds of an image, I wanted to present the 47-minute video as balance.

If you want to talk about ways to show people how they don't need to use images like that at all and still get what they want, I'm 100% open to that conversation.

Or we can stop again, but, you'd have to mean it this time.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever man. You're forgiving of hateful stuff and hate feminism. I get it. You spew the same wall of text but never address the issue. There's honestly no point discussing it further because you're obviously pretty dedicated to your gross views. And yeah, you won't disappear but you'll just be more and more ignored. You know how no one wanted to join HUG? That's because people don't want to be around or talk to people like you. On the upside you can go live in the weird hate puddle with Razorfist and the like. Just don't expect anyone to hug you.

Why aren't you laughing?
JoeWithoutFear
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really need to stop with the personal attacks. Especially on things you are plain uninformed about. Several dozen students (mostly female) of diverse sexual identification wanted to join the group. But that was all by word of mouth -- they were the students I had had in classes and talked with. While applying for club status it was turned down because we "already had the feminist caucus and WAGS (women and gender studies) on campus."

That was it. It's as I said up front, it was rejected because it was not solely female-oriented. It's not because people saw what I had to offer and found it objectionable nor because there was no interest, or whatever story you're writing in your head. It's not very cool to try and do that to other people's reputations. Especially ones who are trying to help, just because it's not in the exact way you would do it.

But, yes, let's consider this over and just move on.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You likely misunderstood why they turned you down. If you express your views in real life even remotely like you have on this board they were probably like "that guy? wants to start a group where he hugs people or something? no! why did we hire that guy anyway?". You honestly think it got turned down because of some conspiracy where only female-oriented things are allowed? Come on.

Plus, I bet the word of mouth students who "wanted to join" just agreed with you when you aggressively confronted them about starting a weird group and were likely relieved when the grown ups told you no.

And for the record, I didn't get personal. You're the one who is making all these assertions about your personal life. You seem to think that just saying your liberal in real life makes it so. I'm just reacting to that.

Why aren't you laughing?
Soriano
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a shame my English is not good enough to engage in this conversation, but I have been following it, and it has been quite interesting so far. I get valid points from both sides, but I think it's quite an ideological thing: the arguments don't really matter.

@JoeWithoutFear
I am quite impressed for the amount of patience you seem to have with James Castle. I don't think it can get more civil than that.

@James Castle
You've also got quite cool moves, and some of your arguments are really convincing. A shame it's gotten so personal in the last rounds...

Unfortunately, this conversation has become as pointless as my own remark (this one... oh, my bad English). I've been lurking this forums for 10 years now, and it's the first time I've felt like some kind of voyeur. Or stalker. Or whatever you call it in English.

There be peace, guys.
Acerbus
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
It's review of Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag. For a couple seconds there's a "joke" cover doctored to read "Ass Creed IV: Black Fag". The main character is edited to have stereotypical giant lips and "Ubisoft" has been edited to read "Jewsoft".

So yeah. Racism, homophobia and antisemitism in 16 seconds. I didn't watch the rest of the video.

CLEARLY.
Because, if you had, you would have reached the end credits. Whereupon - at 6:34 - you plainly see 'Edited by:'

Care to read the name on that?

Because it isn't mine.

I write and perform the video, someone else edits. And he used a picture that was making the rounds on the internet at the time. 5 seconds on Google reveals it has been on memecenter for over 2 years. My video? Is just over one year old. OOPS!

And again, 'homophobic'? Patton Oswald - an inveterate left-wing stand-up comedian - so liberal, in fact, that he had his own program on the short-lived 'liberal' talk radio network Air America in 2004... has used the 'fag' descriptor in comedy routines. It's about context. Which, given that you admit outright that you refused to watch it to completion, you've already conceded that you lack.

'Fag' shouted at an anti-gay rally is homophobic. A humorous picture that I DIDN'T MAKE... in a video I DIDN'T EDIT... presented not in a hateful, but again humorous context? That's 'homophobic' in the same way that Barney the Dinosaur is Anti-Creationism.

Shelve your clown-shoes vendetta. You're making yourself look embittered and absurd.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahahaha. Man.

What? You think each Nazi sewed his own flag? Just cuz you didn't make it doesn't mean you get to show it. Once you display it under your own name (even if it's a lame one) it's yours.

And please explain in what context "jewsoft" is funny.

And you are a homophobe. On this board you've complaimed that Manhunter had too many gay scenes. Elsewhere you've criticized the latest Midnighter series as a ploy for a GLADD award. A pattern emerges.

Why aren't you laughing?
Dayle88
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You lost your moral high ground when you started labelling myself and others homophobes based on something we had nothing to do with.

Why don't you continue the discussion in private with Acerbus considering he was the one you should of been having it with in the first place.

Hopefully now we can just all go back to discussing Daredevil instead of going round and round. When's #16 out? Rolling Eyes
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just call em as I see em. If you don't like it don't respond.

Why aren't you laughing?
Dayle88
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to let a spiteful, judgemental pissant tell me what sort of person I am based on their misunderstanding of something I said that I fully and reasonably explained. You're acting no better than the person you are so outraged by.

So if I don't like it I am going to respond.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great. It is a message board after all.

Why aren't you laughing?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: