Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Who's next after Waid?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acerbus wrote:
On the art front, I wouldn't mind Steve Epting.

That would be amazing. His current series, Velvet, written by Ed Brubaker, is probably my favourite current series (when it comes out.)
Dayle88
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epting would be great.

(I disagree with the Maleev comment though lol)
kentuckydevil
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea epting would be great ..

and I thought maleev was a perfect fit..each to his own..

could bendis and maleev possibly return?..or has that well run dry?...
train
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kentuckydevil wrote:

I my opinion, the Bendis well is dry. His pacing and story decompression is extremely frustrating to me. Go back and read some of the Miller issues, it would have taken Bendis 2 dozen issues to complete a story like Born Again. I'd hate to see him back on the book.
humanaccident
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bendis had no idea how to write Matt Murdock, thats why half his stories don't really involve him (End of Days, the one with Silke overthrowing the Kingpin, that nonsense story about the support group, the one set in the 60s was more about the old gangster guy), the Murdock papers and Hardcore were good but mostly action based, maybe the only action based stories.

His returning would be awful, End of Days awful.

Maleev was awesome though, I would love to have seen him draw Waids work, I think it would have added so much and made it seem far far more dark and gritty, the depression storeis and the cancer stories would have been far more meaningful.
Acerbus
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kentuckydevil wrote:

It wasn't meant as a dig at Maleev. It's just... after his run, Michael Lark came in, and then Roberto de la Torre... both of whom kind of had similar angular, sketchy approaches to drawing the comic as Maleev. Awesome art all around, but it's nice to have variety.

Photorealism hasn't been the consistent stylistic approach on Daredevil since the mid-'80s.
Nightwing2001
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to see Epting draw the book, his artwork seems to get better every year but I think he is one of those great artists like Jim Lee and George Perez that have trouble getting their work out on a monthly basis on time. But maybe he could just do a shorter story arc on the book, I'd still love to see that.

As for Bendis, I hope he stays far away from Daredevil. I appreciate what he was trying to do in his writing of the book before but I thought it was about as exciting as watching grass grow. It just wasn't for me, sorry.

Maleev was a big favourite of mine... until I met him in person. After that experience I don't think I want to support anything he ever does again, so I hope he wouldn't come back to the book again too.

I wish I could remember the name of the artist that was drawing Green Arrow when Jeff Lemire was writing the book, that is someone I'd love to see draw Daredevil.
Ryu Murdock
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nightwing2001 wrote:
I wish I could remember the name of the artist that was drawing Green Arrow when Jeff Lemire was writing the book, that is someone I'd love to see draw Daredevil.

That's Andrea Sorrentino, I believe.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nightwing2001 wrote:
As for Bendis, I hope he stays far away from Daredevil. I appreciate what he was trying to do in his writing of the book before but I thought it was about as exciting as watching grass grow. It just wasn't for me, sorry.

I can't think of a writer I would want less than Bendis. Perhaps Diggle.
Nightwing2001 wrote:
Maleev was a big favourite of mine... until I met him in person. After that experience I don't think I want to support anything he ever does again, so I hope he wouldn't come back to the book again too.

I never met Maleev. I respect his artwork to an extent, but I always found I couldn't follow his action sequences from panel to panel, which is a big problem in sequential art.

Butch Guice is another artist who I think would be a good fit for Daredevil.
kentuckydevil
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrea Sorrentiono would be a great choice for Daredevil..

I think he is marvel exclusive except for some creator owned stuff at image..would love him paired with Charles Soule..the Charles Soule that worked at DC..his marvel stuff hasn't hit for me yet.

Either way we should hear something soon.
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked Axel Alonso a question on CBR regarding a new Daredevil creative team and he said'who said there will be a Daredevil series."Do you guys think there's a chance that we may see a Defenders title with the Netflix roster rather than a monthly DD comic?I also heard Bendis say he has a big upcoming project for Marvel.We know how much Bendis loves DD,Cage,and Jones(who he created).What do you guys think?Maybe Marvel feels like making DD more gritty again is easier by doing it in a team book first before a regular monthly series.Just a thought.
Acerbus
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nightwing2001 wrote:

Have to echo that sentiment. I worked a Free Comic Book Day in '04 and we had him as a guest to celebrate the 40th Anniversary. He's a great artist, but... he knows it. I remember a kid walking up to him, couldn't have been older than 7, and asking if he would draw him Captain America.

His response?

"I draw Daredevil. Don't ask me to draw anything unless it's one of my characters."

Kid walked away looking dejected, and we just shook our heads.

Incidentally, I witnessed a similar experience when Bendis was judging art at SDCC one year. Just... ripping into some exceptionally talented artists, left and right. We've all seen Bendis' sequential art. I have no idea why he was considered an authority on the subject.

Mark Waid's recent Twitter escapades seem to suggest personality issues are a line of commonality between DD creators.

(Brubaker and Lark were exceptionally nice when I met them, in the interest of full disclosure)
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Waid has been accused of being a diva many times so that doesn't surprise me at all.
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like Greg Rucka to write next, if possible. The next writer is going to be really important, a post rebooted MU Daredevil would essentially be a blank sheet and this next writer could define DD's mythos in a new Marvel Universe, similar to how John Byrne defined Superman's mythos in 1986 after Crisis.
Dayle88
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved Bendis' run and especially Maleev's art but I wouldn't want Bendis back. I'd love Maleev back but not both because it would never be as good as the first time. I often find I'm unique in loving Decalogue. My first time reading this stuff was in the Ultimate Collection format so I could see the frustration reading one a month. I loved the King of Hell's Kitchen stuff and it was great to see how it affected some normal people all the while Matt was there hidden.

I don't really know who I want next. Maybe some new talent? I just know I want it in that Miller/Bendis vein and not cartoony art.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: