Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Interview with Alan Brennert

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:43 am    Post subject: Interview with Alan Brennert Reply with quote

It's been a while, but finally got a chance to do another interview, this time with former DAREDEVIL writer Alan Brennert, who talks about issue #192... his story about Ben & Doris Urich, and some surprising info about Frank Miller and some of his story ideas that were used by Denny O'Neil.

Hope you enjoy it. This one is interview #140! Yikes.

http://www.manwithoutfear.com/daredevil-interviews/Alan-Brennert
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool interview. I have to confess that my reading of comics between the two Miller runs is somewhat spotty, so I haven't read #192. I did read #195, though, and I like the idea. It's essentially the same idea Frank Miller eventually did with Born Again. Although the consequences aren't as profound, they do ultimately lead to Heather Glenn's suicide, which I think was a pretty big moment.

Aside from that, he has good insight into how to make Daredevil work (and helps explain why it'll do better in television format rather than movie format). It seems he's a really big fan of the character he worked on all too briefly.

I'm not sure when I'll get to it, but I'll certainly have to place #192 on my list to read at some point.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
LightningandIce
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never read this issue but I read the interview, and it makes me want to pick it up now. One part that stood out to me was the thing about the radar sense:

Quote:
I remember asking [Frank Miller] how he saw DD's radar sense, and I'll never forget his reply: "I think it's like touching everything around him at once." (That never made it into my story, but I did pass it on to my pal Mark Waid when he took over DAREDEVIL.)

The thing is, I'm fairly certain I read that exact wording in a recent issue of Waid's. I thought it was a great way to describe it, since that is basically how I always thought of it as well. I guess there was a lot more too that line than I thought at the time. I wish I could remember which issue I read that in.
jriddle
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Interview with Alan Brennert Reply with quote

Kuljit Mithra wrote:
It's been a while, but finally got a chance to do another interview, this time with former DAREDEVIL writer Alan Brennert, who talks about issue #192... his story about Ben & Doris Urich, and some surprising info about Frank Miller and some of his story ideas that were used by Denny O'Neil.

Hope you enjoy it. This one is interview #140! Yikes.

http://www.manwithoutfear.com/daredevil-interviews/Alan-Brennert

Thanks. I've always thought "Promises" was an exceptionally good story (from back when DD had real writers and artists). The Kingpin throwing that business with Vanessa in DD's face, Ben having to turn in his friend, the ending--lots of great stuff. Brennert did some good Batman work--it would have been interesting to see him do a run on DD.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LightningandIce wrote:
I've never read this issue but I read the interview, and it makes me want to pick it up now. One part that stood out to me was the thing about the radar sense:

Quote:
I remember asking [Frank Miller] how he saw DD's radar sense, and I'll never forget his reply: "I think it's like touching everything around him at once." (That never made it into my story, but I did pass it on to my pal Mark Waid when he took over DAREDEVIL.)

The thing is, I'm fairly certain I read that exact wording in a recent issue of Waid's. I thought it was a great way to describe it, since that is basically how I always thought of it as well. I guess there was a lot more too that line than I thought at the time. I wish I could remember which issue I read that in.

I'm pretty sure Miller used that exact phrasing before as well. If not, I suspect Waid was aware of this conversation. While it defies real world explanation when phrased like that, that's my preference for the radar sense as well. It clearly doesn't work like real world sonar, so I don't think it's appropriate to just think of it as sound. The alternative "a combination of all other senses" isn't entirely helpful either. I remember Denny O'Neil described it as "paranormal waves." I have problems with that as well (mostly the "waves" part), but I do think it's worth believing that this is not a real world sense, it's something special on its own.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: