Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL #14 Preview, Reviews and Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What did you think of DAREDEVIL #14?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
26%
 26%  [ 5 ]
21%
 21%  [ 4 ]
47%
 47%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 19

Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, I'm pretty sure everyone involved with this comic is aware of how awful this suit is. Notice the cover: It's all Owl's daughter, and features nary a stitch of Matt's red suit.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimetre wrote:
To be fair, I'm pretty sure everyone involved with this comic is aware of how awful this suit is. Notice the cover: It's all Owl's daughter, and features nary a stitch of Matt's red suit.

Can I just go on record that I would kill for a real life version of that suit.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voted 1.

I don't know or care whatever happens on DD from now on. Even without the completely idiotic idea of Matt becoming a colorful dumbass (because that's the point, not simply the stupid suit) for the heck of it, I'm sick of the way Waid writes this book. Sick of all the in-jokes, sick of the hamfisted "look mom, I'm not depressed!!!", sick of the uninteresting and convoluted villain plots. I'm tired of "look, I'm mentioning Twitter, google, facebook, I'm making the book so 2.0!"
I'm dropping this book until we get a new writer. Oh, and a new artist too. This one sucks and is not fit to draw my favorite character. There, I said it.
train
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what to make of the issue. I respect Waid for throwing caution to the wind. I understand the concept that he was going for. If everyone knows MM is DD then why wear a mask? I felt like I did after I read the 'monster issue'. Completely unsatisfied.

I agree with most on the board, it's time for Waid to go.

On a related note, I have a theory on how the Marvel re-boot will play out. I can't remember where I read it, but one of the "Battleworld" components is the '92 X-men. What I think is going to happen, is each Marvel character will be rolled back to their respective high water mark. According to article that I read stated that the '92 X-men was the high point of sales for the book. I don't know if sales will be the defining factor on which to roll back the character to or if a creative factor will be considered as well. If I was making decisions, it would be the Clairemont/JR Jr. X-men, but that's just me. So my question to the board, is what would you consider to be the high water mark for Daredevil?

If I can find that article again, I'll post the link.

I think this is it

http://comicbook.com/2015/03/13/marvel-announces-x-men-92-secret-wars-series/
Darediva
Wake Up

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
Dimetre wrote:

JC, I think you can probably buy one at Pimps R Us. And they'll throw in the red shoes for free.

Those who throw dirt merely lose ground.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darediva wrote:
james castle wrote:
Dimetre wrote:

JC, I think you can probably buy one at Pimps R Us. And they'll throw in the red shoes for free.

*high five*
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RGdesigner wrote:
Quote:
Just curious what other people think about Kirsten. After reading recent issues in vol 4 I really don't know how Waid is trying to portray Kirsten. Last issue she basically made a joke of someone trying to kill her and this issue she is complaining that Matt is making a joke out of his current identity status. Does anyone else feel like Kirsten is just there to antagonize Matt and tell him "I told you so" when things don't go the way he thought they would?

I've enjoyed Kirsten in the past in certain issues/stories, but overall looking back at Waid's run as a whole, I can't stand her. Those aforementioned stories were good in spite of Kirsten, not in any way because of her. If I ranked the women in Matt Murdock's life, she'd be just above Heather Glenn but below Glorianna. She can't hold a candle to Karen, Natasha, Milla, Becky, or Dakota and I hope the next writer drops her from the book and forgets her as soon as possible. She exists solely to tell Matt he's wrong or make him look like a fool through her very childish jokes and antics. Of all the silly things Waid has in his run, the idea that this 13 year old in a 30-something body was a DA is one of the most unbelievable.

The only way she could be redeemed as a character is if Waid reveals her to a be a villain this whole time who has been using psychic powers on Matt Murdock to deliberately turn him into an unrecognizable buffoon.

Thats what I think of Kirsten.
I can write an essay on how much I hate Kirstin.She's another part of this series that sums up how ridiculous and childish one of the most grounded books in comics has become.She honestly can't meet Bullseye fast enough.I wouldn't put her above Heather Glenn.At least she entertained me.This chick is just flat out annoying.
DesignDevil
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirsten's not worthy of a death at Bullseye's hands. She should trip and fall down an open manhole and break her neck.
Acerbus
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last time I posted... years ago... it was to express my desire for Mark Waid to go away.

The contrarian, self-aware retro/hipster thing had run its course within all of ten issues.

It is now March of 2015.
He is still on the book. (Though thankfully, from what I hear, not much longer) I bought every issue of this series until Waid stepped up to the plate with his Kesel 2.0 run. There's a massive, meteor crater-sized hole in my collection in the shape of Mark Waid. I think that speaks for itself.

To continue the Karl Kesel analog, Kesel's run by itself wasn't that bad. A fun little experiment. Not my favorite, but I can live with it. It's the maladies the book suffered in the wake of Karl Kesel bugging out to go write DC stuff that caused the real problems. That's when Daredevil really went off the rails with the Jack Battlin stuff. Until Waid, I considered this to be the all-time low point for the book, in fact.

I can see this coming from 9 blocks away. He's written the next guy into a corner. Whoever it is, can't take it anywhere but further down.

Marvel. I rarely ask for this, as continuity is a huge part of the appeal of the character. But hit the reset button. Hit it now.
Hit the reset button so hard, the janitors at the DC offices can feel the impact tremors.
lonerangerninjutsu
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

train wrote:
According to article that I read stated that the '92 X-men was the high point of sales for the book. I don't know if sales will be the defining factor on which to roll back the character to or if a creative factor will be considered as well. If I was making decisions, it would be the Clairemont/JR Jr. X-men, but that's just me. So my question to the board, is what would you consider to be the high water mark for Daredevil?

I think the most notable and iconic would be the Frank Miller/Klaus Janson run, although my personal favorite is the Brian Michael Bendis and Alex Maleev run. If they resumed where Miller left off, then I feel like that'd be the ideal entry point for new readers thanks to the Netflix show coming out.

Acerbus wrote:

Hit the reset button so hard, the janitors at the DC offices can feel the impact tremors.

I couldn't have said it better myself. It pains me to think that Daredevil has fallen so low that it actually needs a reboot... Still, I suppose it's a necessary evil if we ever want the character to rise to both old and hopefully new heights.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ I'd say the high water mark was Born Again. Starting post Born Again would actually work quite well with Karen alive, but the Kingpin knowing Matt's identity. The only thing is whether Foggy should be on the loop or not. If they went post-Inferno/Purgatory/Paradiso, it would be Karl Kesel, which certainly wasn't the high water mark.

Acerbus wrote:

To continue the Karl Kesel analog, Kesel's run by itself wasn't that bad. A fun little experiment. Not my favorite, but I can live with it. It's the maladies the book suffered in the wake of Karl Kesel bugging out to go write DC stuff that caused the real problems. That's when Daredevil really went off the rails with the Jack Battlin stuff. Until Waid, I considered this to be the all-time low point for the book, in fact.

I think you have your timeline mixed up. Jack Battlin came before the Karl Kesel run. Karl Kesel was followed by Joe Kelly, followed by, uh, mumble mumble mumble to end Volume 1, followed by Kevin Smith. I think it might have ended with a whimper, but it didn't really go off the rails and Kevin Smith directly referenced Joe Kelly's run that followed Karl Kesel.

Jack Battlin, iirc, was D.G. Chichester and was mixed up with the new suit and all that. Although it might have been DeMatteis or something else in there. Point was it was a time of very dark, serious (and macho) Daredevil.

I'm not defending Karl Kesel's run (I liked it in parts, but it wasn't always my cup of tea), I'm just saying the analogy isn't very strong (although the analogy might make sense that Kesel followed Chichester's run, which had the death of Glorianna and all that to go with something lighter and simpler, while Waid followed Diggle's Shadowland, which was also convoluted and dark with something much lighter). Who knows what'll happen next. Maybe to complete the analogy they'll bring back Kevin Smith and we can all have something to complain about.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
train
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we found something we can agree on, Mike. I think a rollback to just post- Born Again would be the best point to start over. We'll see if my theory is right.
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

train wrote:
I think we found something we can agree on, Mike. I think a rollback to just post- Born Again would be the best point to start over. We'll see if my theory is right.
As much as I'd hate to see Dakota North go along with the Bendis run I think it's necessary to start fresh and Born Again is a great place to start. Marvel has back themselves into a corner with DD where a reboot of some sort is a necessity .I have no idea how some people are surprised this book has fallen this far since Waid took over.I knew from the moment DD busted in a mob wedding and tongue kissed the bride and wore a sweater that reads "I'm not Daredevil" the Matt Murdock I loved was dead.I am dumbfounded why a book that has DD running around in a pimp suit, living in a sunny city is being published when a very serious depiction of his character is about to be launched on the tv and seen by millions is beyond my comprehension.I know Quesada hired Waid but I have a feeling if he was still EIC this wouldn't have gone on this long.Please,save DD Marvel!
Nightwing2001
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I think about it the more I think that the Mark Waid DD run will go down in history as the "Achy Breaky Heart/Who Let the Dogs Out" of DD comic book runs. Something that at first so many people loved and couldn't get enough of but felt that after awhile it had worn out its welcome and you got soooo sick of it you never wanted anything to do with it again. A moment of sobering clarity at the end of it for those who once loved it as "what the hell we're we thinking?!"

At least that's the analogy that I'm feeling these days about it.
admiralpetty
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nightwing2001 wrote:
The more I think about it the more I think that the Mark Waid DD run will go down in history as the "Achy Breaky Heart/Who Let the Dogs Out" of DD comic book runs. Something that at first so many people loved and couldn't get enough of but felt that after awhile it had worn out its welcome and you got soooo sick of it you never wanted anything to do with it again. A moment of sobering clarity at the end of it for those who once loved it as "what the hell we're we thinking?!"

At least that's the analogy that I'm feeling these days about it.

I honestly don't think that I'm going to change my mind on his run, seeing as how it took a while to grow on me, re-readings have actually shown me that there is more depth to his run than I initially recognized. Howevere, I think his run climaxed with the Bullseye/Ikari storyline and has been on a slow decline ever since. I liked the story line following Foggy's struggles with Cancer, but that has been pushed to the back these days.

The noteworthy issues of Vol. 4 are the ones involving Matt's Mother(really nice to see the issue's portrayal of postpartum depression, and some of the fan letters regarding it were pretty heartbreaking too) and the Purple Man storyline was great for the way that it dealt with depression(I have never personally been diagnosed with this disorder, but my Mother has struggled with it her whole life, as well as some other close friends of mine). I'm happy that Waid was able to pen those issues, however I think he is starting to run out of gas and it is time for a new writer.

The thing about Waid's run is, it is not nearly as lighthearted as people seem to think, the ones that write it off as such are failing to read between the lines, Waid actually deals with a lot of serious subject matter in his run, and planted seeds for potential issues with the way Matt is handling things in his very first issue(see the way Foggy reacts to the new Matt). However I feel that a writer shouldn't overstay his welcome once he has said what he wanted to say. I think Waid has mostly said what he wanted to say, but now he is drawing things out with this volume in particular.

We may see him finish what he has to say with Matt's seemingly impending breakdown, these last few issues will tell us for sure, but I'm definitely ready for a new writer to takes things back to a more noir-ish feel, but please nothing as dark as Brubaker and Diggle's runs. The great thing about Miller's run on DD, is the fact that he managed to balance mature darker themes with more lighthearted fare, thus giving the darker moments that much more punch, something they would have lacked had it all been doom and gloom.

I suppose I can handle a dark run fine, but successive dark runs is what wears readers down. Vol. 2 set a darker tone right out of the gate, but particularly going from Bendis to Brubaker to Diggle, we just had to much darkness in DD's life, to the point were the dramatic beats weren't really standing out anymore, because everything was already dramatic and dark all the time anyway.

As for rolling back DD's continuity, I would be fine if they took it back to the Born Again era, or even the beginning of Miller's first run even. We could see new takes on some of these relationships, and good characters like Dakota North could be brought in earlier(and as a bonus, Matt wouldn't have to cheat on his wife with Dakota). Frankly, I'm not overly attached to whether they keep any old continuity or not, as long as they are true to the character. I always have my DD trades on my shelf if I want to read the old stories again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: