Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL #14 Preview, Reviews and Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What did you think of DAREDEVIL #14?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
26%
 26%  [ 5 ]
21%
 21%  [ 4 ]
47%
 47%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 19

JoeWithoutFear
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Nightwing2001

The weird thing is, it's not that I feel like I grew tired of Wade's approach. It's that I feel like Waid actually changed his approach since volume 4.

Like, volume 3 had Kirsten flashing her bra to make a joke about DD's identity.

I don't think you would ever see that in volume 4. In volume 4, the DD/Kirsten dynamic is much more ...like this ...

Hey, a variant cover that makes the protagonist look uncharacteristically like a baby. I wonder if there will be a huge uproar to #cancelthecover?? ....nope.
DesignDevil
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly I doubt we are getting any kind of reboot. It would be nice to roll things back to the post-Born Again timeframe, but I don't see that happening anymore. I can only hope Waids' run is quickly ignored like most of the 90s.

Quote:
Like, volume 3 had Kirsten flashing her bra to make a joke about DD's identity.

This moment is a perfect example of Waid either not "getting" the character he is writing or ignoring the character's history/personality so he can get in a cheap laugh. I've praised volume 3 and still consider it mostly amazing, but it was littered with lame moments like this. The next panel not shown on your link I remember has Matt snapping a pencil in his fingers to accentuate his getting all hot and bothered in this "cute" little moment. Pardon my crassness, but this scene belongs in a book about virgin teenagers in high school not a book about a guy in his late 30s who has been consistently getting with prime tail since college. Now we have him as the awkward guy who can't handle "seeing" a pair of boobs and getting all sweaty. This is freaking Matt Murdock. He's been with Natasha Romanov. I don't think Kirsten Mcduffie would have that effect.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

train wrote:
I think we found something we can agree on, Mike. I think a rollback to just post- Born Again would be the best point to start over. We'll see if my theory is right.

For what it's worth, I don't agree with any reboot. I was just answering the question of what the high water mark was.

I think Spider-Man showed the flaws with rebooting and I think a universe-wide reboot is worse infinitely times worse. If a storyline sucks, you end it, ignore it, and retcon a few things. That's how Marvel has been doing it since the beginning and it has worked just fine.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
WilsonFisk
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Matt Murdock that it should be an absolute, resounding HELL NO to any prospect of a reboot.

And that's not just because the hate towards the Waid/Samnee run is incredibly overblown on this site, which seems to stand like the square-shaped Bizarro planet in relation to the general online reaction to the series. It's because arguably Daredevil's greatest strength, the thing that makes Matt Murdock possibly the best-developed character in the Marvel Universe, is that rich sense of history, that over the past 50 years he has evolved and changed with experience, he's lived a life where everything has informed who he is in one form or another.

It would be utter lunacy for Marvel to throw all that away for the sake of, "I don't like what the writer has done on this run boo-hoo, waa-waa," or in the case of some, "I've mostly liked what the writer has done on this run but this one storyline has displeased me boo-hoo, waa-waa." Even if the Waid run for Volumes 3 and 4 was the character-destroying disaster a vocal minority of hardcore Daredevil fans make it out to be - which it categorically isn't - the "scorched earth" approach of rebooting would not be the solution. It's the lazy alternate to finding creative solutions with clever writing. and would do far, far more damage than any poor plotline would.
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen more than a few amount of people bash the series on this site so I wouldn't call it a vocal minority.I personally think it maybe 50/40 in favor of Waid but the margin isn't that great verses the praisers and bashers.Daredevil fans are really loyal.The popularity of this series is also overblown imo.If Marvel can find away to give him back his secret identity and make the world not know his strengths and weaknesses,great but it doesn't seem possible without some kind of reboot.I'd hate to through away a lot of history of Daredevil because one writer that it was hip to merge Matt Murdock and Daredevil and turn him into a parody of himself.Just saying.
DesignDevil
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been saying for years that Marvel should "reboot/restart". Long before Waid went off the rails last year.

Reboots don't take away the older stories.
James Bond, Star Trek, Star Wars, and DC Comics have all thrived while restarting their worlds and characters for the modern age.
WilsonFisk
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In DC's case, some reboots have worked considerably better than others. Overall, I think Marvel's approach of rolling soft reboots to keep their stories up-to-date or to tidy away misfires, rather than a line-wide hit of the reset button, as worked largely to their favor.
admiralpetty
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RGdesigner wrote:
Reboots don't take away the older stories.
James Bond, Star Trek, Star Wars, and DC Comics have all thrived while restarting their worlds and characters for the modern age.

WilsonFisk wrote:
In DC's case, some reboots have worked considerably better than others. Overall, I think Marvel's approach of rolling soft reboots to keep their stories up-to-date or to tidy away misfires, rather than a line-wide hit of the reset button, as worked largely to their favor.

I actually agree with you both on these points. I feel that a line-wide reboot isn't actually necessary, however if it does happen, I'm not going to let it ruin my enjoyment of Daredevil or Marvel Comics in general. I'm glad that RGdesigner mentioned Star Wars in particular in his post.

I used to be a massive Star Wars fan when I was younger, I loved the EU(Expanded Universe) in particular, as it was a way to experience even more Star Wars. I have probably read about 85% of the EU material that has been published through the years, that being the case, I was very attached to the continuity that was created through these books, comics and even video games. Frankly, I'm still amazed at how well they managed to hold the continuity together through the years. The movies of course overrode anything else as far as continuity went, and succeeding EU material would be updated accordingly, but this caused surprisingly few problems, until the Clone Wars television show that is.

As the television show went on, it gradually started to contradict more and more established EU continuity(I wont bore you with all the nerdy details). While this annoyed me as a fan, I figured whatever, its a kids show, I'll just keep reading the books that I like. The game changer for me occurred, however, when a book series I liked was cancelled because of another conflicting plot point brought up in the show. This irritated me to no end for a while, especially seeing as how most of the stories in the books were far superior to those presented in the television show(this was probably due to the fact that they weren't as tightly controlled by George Lucas Wink ). At that point I decided to stop reading EU material, what was the point if an ongoing series could be cancelled due to something that happened in a children's show.

Flash forward to a few years later, and I realized that getting some distance from my continuity obsession was good for me. I actually came back to watch some of the later episodes of the show, and realized that they were actually quite excellent(probably also owing to George Lucas' decreased involvement during later seasons Wink ). Now after the Disney merger, they have branded all the EU stuff Star Wars Legends and instated a much tighter new continuity that starts with Marvel's new Star Wars Comics.

Understandably, this has upset other fans who were still obsessed with the expanded continuity laid down by the EU, because now all those stories they read don't "matter" anymore. If we are being honest though, its not like Disney had any choice, I can just imagine watching the movie at some point where they are discussing the fact that Chewbacca is dead and then we see an asterisk and caption at the bottom of the screen that says "See the book Star Wars Vector Prime for details". Moviegoers can't be expected to be caught up on years of continuity in books and comics to enjoy a Star Wars movie.

Now here is the point of my little Star Wars story Wink. The fact of the matter is, whether or not all those stories I read back in the day still "matter" as to current continuity is irrelevant. The fact is, I enjoyed those stories a great deal when I was younger, and the fact that they are no longer part of the current continuity doesn't change the fact that they were good stories and that I enjoyed them. Looking at things from that perspective helps me enjoy the new Star Wars material as well. The same attitude has also helped me enjoy some of DC's New 52 stories, despite the fact that I still collect and read stories from their previous continuity.

With what seems like an inevitable reboot of some sort coming down the pipeline at Marvel with Secret Wars, I intend to take the same approach to Marvel comics as well. I will reiterate that I don't believe that a reboot is necessary, but it certainly isn't going to ruin my old DD stories which I will continue to reread whenever I like, and it will only ruin the new stuff if I think the new stories suck. Until they break into my house and burn all of my old comics, make mine Marvel!
train
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilson Fisk, you can bury your head in the sand if you want, but an entire 616 reboot is going to happen this summer. Secret Wars will see to that. How much it changes Daredevil will be seen, but to think nothing is going to happen is folly.
WilsonFisk
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

train wrote:
Wilson Fisk, you can bury your head in the sand if you want, but an entire 616 reboot is going to happen this summer. Secret Wars will see to that. How much it changes Daredevil will be seen, but to think nothing is going to happen is folly.

I didn't say it wouldn't happen. i just said I think it would be a bad idea. And that if it does happen, it's not going to be solely based on a smattering of negative feedback for Mark Waid''s Daredevil run.
JoeWithoutFear
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I gather, it doesn't sound (to me) like Marvel is going to do a complete, hard reboot. Sounds like they are just smashing all their universes together.

Depending on how exactly that's done, I may prefer a hard reboot. =)

But, what I would REALLY prefer, is that they try to win us over with quality writing instead of "ZOMG!! EVENTS!!"
train
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't read any other Marvel titles other than Daredevil and Captain America. How many universes are there? I was only aware of 616 and the Ulitmate universes. If you look at all of the titles that are being cancelled (14 in all I think) it looks to me that we will see Steve Rogers become CA again and there will only be 1 Spiderman. My money is still on the 'return to a titles high water mark'. I'm also betting that Wolverine will come back as well. I suppose we will all find out in a few months
Naked Bat
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

even 2099 was supposedly not a future of the 616 universe, until Miguel came back during Slott's superior spider-man run actually.

I think they will retcon some stuff, for instance, Matt may get his secret identity back, but I doubt it will be a hard reboot. I certainly don't think it's needed.
Acerbus
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Murdock wrote:
I think you have your timeline mixed up. Jack Battlin came before the Karl Kesel run.

Yeah, thanks for straightening me out on that. It's been awhile since I re-read all of volume 1 in succession, and at least for me, everything after 'Fall from Grace' is sort of a blur.

I was actually confusing the Jack Battlin storyline with the ridiculous Lobdell arc right before the reboot where Matt Murdock was an agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. living under some assumed French name, and had his memories rewired or something.

Either way, my point about the post-Kesel period being awful stands. I think without a hard reboot, Waid's run will leave the book in similar straits.

What I find most galling about the Waid era... is that a large contingent of comic-related media still consider it superb. I really, really don't get it. I think it may be couched in a cult of personality effect. I remain convinced that if Joe Quesada had written some of the ridiculous storylines Waid has over the past two years, those same fanboys would be raking him over the coals.
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acerbus wrote:
Mike Murdock wrote:
I think you have your timeline mixed up. Jack Battlin came before the Karl Kesel run.

Yeah, thanks for straightening me out on that. It's been awhile since I re-read all of volume 1 in succession, and at least for me, everything after 'Fall from Grace' is sort of a blur.

I was actually confusing the Jack Battlin storyline with the ridiculous Lobdell arc right before the reboot where Matt Murdock was an agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. living under some assumed French name, and had his memories rewired or something.

Either way, my point about the post-Kesel period being awful stands. I think without a hard reboot, Waid's run will leave the book in similar straits.

What I find most galling about the Waid era... is that a large contingent of comic-related media still consider it superb. I really, really don't get it. I think it may be couched in a cult of personality effect. I remain convinced that if Joe Quesada had written some of the ridiculous storylines Waid has over the past two years, those same fanboys would be raking him over the coals.
Your last sentence holds a lot of weight.Had Quesada did this to Matt he'd be crucified as would Bendis.Waid is the golden boy and has his fans just like Grant Morrison.I hope Secret Wars fixes this fast.It's a travesty that this book will be published with the show.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: