Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL #14 Preview, Reviews and Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What did you think of DAREDEVIL #14?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
26%
 26%  [ 5 ]
21%
 21%  [ 4 ]
47%
 47%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 19

Nightwing2001
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got to read this issue today....

Shocked Confused

I don't even know what to say about it really... This is just beyond anything I ever thought someone would portray the character of Matt Murdock like. He's gone through some bad phases and changes over the years but this just takes the cake for out of character. I went into this issue hoping that the reason for this was because some posters in this thread said he was having a mental breakdown and that was his reason for being like this, but for the life of me I just am not seeing it in this issue at all. This is just bad out of character writing from Mark Waid and nothing more in my eyes. I just can't believe a writer could start out so well in a title and then get to this point, it is mind boggling. I really pray that issue 16 is the end of his run and we get some kind of a reboot for Matt after because I don't know how you could ever recover from this without it.

I'm sorry but I'm just baffled that anyone could still be sticking up for Mark Waid and his version of DD after this issue....
Acerbus
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naked Bat wrote:

Acerbus should learn not to insult people though. It doesn't make you look smarter, it makes you look childish.

Pardon me?

Before I made one off-color statement, james castle had already insinuated that Daredevil24 had terrible taste in comics...

james castle wrote:

Wow. Mystery solved. You have terrible taste in comics.

...and flat-out resorted to name-calling.

james castle wrote:

If you're going to try to batter someone by playing some ridiculous linguistic "I'm smarter than you" game you better be pretty certain you are, in fact, smarter.

Or you end up looking like an idiot.

I defended myself. Vociferously.
And I'd do it again. In identical verbiage.

But thanks for wearing your bias on your sleeve. It streamlines the process of disregarding your input.

Again... no one compared Liefeld to Waid.
I compared the fact that both men jumped on a trend. Liefeld with 'grimdark'. Waid with its contrariwise counterpart. Both raked in accolades that have since proven hollow.

Don't blame me for comparing like action.

Blame Mark Waid for taking that action to begin with.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acerbus wrote:

Again... no one compared Liefeld to Waid.

Yes you did.

Acerbus wrote:

I compared the fact that both men jumped on a trend. Liefeld with 'grimdark'. Waid with its contrariwise counterpart. Both raked in accolades that have since proven hollow.

See? You did it again! You're saying that Waid and Liefeld are/were unjustly celebrated! See? Do you see now?

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
JoeWithoutFear
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever people start stubbornly splitting hairs about definitions of words and phrases, all hope for a discussion has been lost. This is why online text-based conversations are sometimes doomed from the start. =) But for what it's worth, Acerbus, even if I don't necessarily agree with you, I can follow your logic pretty easily. *shrug*

Anyway, just to restate my take as I think it is somewhat unique, I LOVED Waid's run on Volume 3 and the start of Volume 4. It's only this last handful of issues where Kirsten's character has been amped into eye-roll-inducing and Matt's character has been twisted to cringe-worthy. Just my take.

Because of this, I can't wait to see what the next writer does and I hope they are able to cleverly smooth over what Waid has done in these last few months.
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope we get a new writer soon.
Darkdevil
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, after reading this issue, the most I can say it is that I applaud Waid's continuation of exploring the consequences of Matt exposing his identity. You may not agree with or like it, but I think, having gone down this path, Waid has been faithful in trying to discern its' pitfalls.

The red suit is campy, seeing him swing around in action wearing it is strange (what, did he get it custom-made for him by Melvin??), his buzz-cut hair doesn't suit him though I do wish the shot of him foregoing his glasses was larger, I think that is more symbolic of his decision than his red pimp suit.

But the question raised by Kirsten's father is valid, if your identity is public, then why continue to wear a mask? It's an interesting conundrum but I don't quite agree with Matt's answer.

This change can't be permanent, I've always said, a character's default status quo will eventually be restored at some point, but upon seeing his new direction, I'm concerned over how that will occur now. With Matt and DD being nigh inseparable in the public's eye now, I fear nothing short of a Brand New Day or Dr. Strange magic spell can undo all of this. Unless of course, Secret Wars changes it somehow.

And someone mentioned it earlier, how these latest issues just seem to STOP is becoming annoying. However, such nitpicks and red suits haven't dissuaded me from still enjoying Waid's overall run on DD.
JoeWithoutFear
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkdevil wrote:
Ok, after reading this issue, the most I can say it is that I applaud Waid's continuation of exploring the consequences of Matt exposing his identity. You may not agree with or like it, but I think, having gone down this path, Waid has been faithful in trying to discern its' pitfalls.

True. And hey, I *have* agreed with all of it up until now. So that's something. Plus, after seeing how Bendis' "Mutant Revolution" is adding up to a big steaming pile of wasted time over on Uncanny X-Men, it is nice to see a writer stick to a long-term arc.

...even if the execution is, in my opinion, a hack job at the moment. =)

Darkdevil wrote:
The red suit is campy, seeing him swing around in action wearing it is strange (what, did he get it custom-made for him by Melvin??)

Seriously. Like, just on a practical level it is nonsensical. But, I know, it's a comic. =)

Darkdevil wrote:
But the question raised by Kirsten's father is valid, if your identity is public, then why continue to wear a mask? It's an interesting conundrum but I don't quite agree with Matt's answer.

To me, the answer is clear and simple. It's that philosophy we see every time Batman's origin gets told. The mask is part of the symbol that is Daredevil. The mask is part of the icon that intimidates enemies and inspires the pure of purpose.

Not a bad reason, right? ^_^

The pimp suit inspires.... eye-rolls. =P

Darkdevil wrote:
This change can't be permanent, I've always said, a character's default status quo will eventually be restored at some point, but upon seeing his new direction, I'm concerned over how that will occur now. With Matt and DD being nigh inseparable in the public's eye now, I fear nothing short of a Brand New Day or Dr. Strange magic spell can undo all of this. Unless of course, Secret Wars changes it somehow.

Yea, it definitely won't last long and I'm hoping it will be fixed by next issue. I feel like Chris Samnee actually hinted at that on Twitter. I'm concerned at how all of my favorite heroes will come out the other side of Secret Wars =\

I think Waid is gonna take Matt to a total breakdown before Secret Wars. I wouldn't be surprised if Kirsten really uncomfortably confronts Matt about his emotional state. Then, Waid makes Matt physically lash out at Kirsten in a moment of psychological collapse. That would be pretty drastic evidence of Matt's complete decimation. And it would also give Waid one last opportunity to squeeze a feminist message into his book -- maybe he could partner with the NFL and have a panel where Captain America says "no more." =P I mean, he managed to shoehorn mansplaining into the last issue. So, that shoehorn is pretty big!

Sorry, I really love(d) Waid's writing, I just can't get past the agenda anymore. =\

Darkdevil wrote:
And someone mentioned it earlier, how these latest issues just seem to STOP is becoming annoying.

Yea, the comic book industry is kind of a chicken with no head at the moment. Sad to watch really. =\
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waid and Samnee are done with issue 18.YESSS!!!This is greatest month ever for Daredevil!Well at least for me anyways.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of what thinks of them, I hope everyone wants them to end on a strong note (even if it won't be their cup of tea).

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
humanaccident
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I have said before, we all seem to want something dark at the moment, well this last issue for me has been the darkest, DD has been going slowly insane and this is the latest and biggest example of this. He has totally flipped, we will now see him start to lose people, friends and allies and end up intotal collapse, then we will go to secret wars and then a rebirth of the marvel u, like dc52, where DD will be back in Hells Kitchen gritty and grim as we all hope, echoing the tv show.

God I hope.
McFly
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that because of the fact that this Secret Wars thing is right around the corner, which could possibly reboot the whole marvel universe, Waid is pretty much allowed to go crazy with whatever ideas he had. especially the ones that might have been a bit "too far" for a conventional DD story. like writing his memoirs about being a superhero. or going out to fight crime in a red tuxedo. all this might not "matter" so much in 2 months time, anyway.

I'd bet, that after the Secret Wars event the whole problem with Matts identity and all the baggage with his depression might be solved by the "reboot", too.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

humanaccident wrote:
As I have said before, we all seem to want something dark at the moment, well this last issue for me has been the darkest, DD has been going slowly insane and this is the latest and biggest example of this. He has totally flipped, we will now see him start to lose people, friends and allies and end up intotal collapse....

That's something that has frustrated me about Volume 4. There are passages that show he can't keep avoiding issues with which he must deal -- the Original Sin crossover issues, the crippling immobility he suffered at the hands of the Purple Children -- but the next issue starts with him not dealing with these things and being all cavalier in a shirt with a DD label.

Readers have been saying that Daredevil has been on the verge of a nervous breakdown since Volume 2 #5. Perhaps Shadowland was his nervous breakdown... I'm no psychologist. What I would LOVE a creative team to do is have him actually work through his grief over Karen Page sufficiently, and his feelings of inadequacy over not being able to save her and Elektra. He actually seems to have a lot of issues about women.

The Waid run has been mostly about avoiding confrontation with issues, while acknowledging the potentially crippling ongoing presence of said issues. With only four installments left, I fear they're not going to be sufficiently addressed.
JoeWithoutFear
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daredevil24 wrote:
Waid and Samnee are done with issue 18.YESSS!!!This is greatest month ever for Daredevil!Well at least for me anyways.

I greatly appreciate what the two of them have done introducing me to this character and mythos in such an enjoyable way.

And now I want them to stop and not do it anymore. =P
DD'sbootyshorts
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]
What I would LOVE a creative team to do is have him actually work through his grief over Karen Page sufficiently, and his feelings of inadequacy over not being able to save her and Elektra.

[/quote]

100% agree. Really felt like shadow land was a crap awful "ending" to the whole breakdown he was going through and when Waids run started they just seemed to ignore it completely.
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After Secret Wars Karen Page might be alive and well.Also,I be alive Karen was killed off in 98,it's time to move past that now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: