Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL #15 Preview, Reviews and Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What did you think of DAREDEVIL #15?
18%
 18%  [ 3 ]
31%
 31%  [ 5 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
18%
 18%  [ 3 ]
31%
 31%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 16

LightningandIce
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say something. A lot of people might hate me for this, but here's a little disclaimer: I'm speaking purely aesthetics. That's it. The following line applies ONLY to the "look" aspect. Okay?

I like the suit.

DON'T KILL ME! I'm speaking strictly from a visual standpoint. From a plot perspective, I hate it. I hate everything about the way it's used in the story. With that said, if somebody said to me "imagine an awesome Daredevil-theme three piece suit," that's pretty much exactly how I would want it to look.

As far as the actual quality of this issue, it has it's ups and downs. I don't like what has been going on in volume 4 (with the exception of the Purple Man stuff.) This is definitely an improvement over the last four issues, and may be the highlight of the Owl/Shroud storyline so far.

So Matt's life suddenly comes crashing down around him, again. I like the way it's done. The Shroud is a good villain here. The Owl taking over the internet is a little odd but not so out of the ordinary to make me dislike it. In fact, I like it. I also like how fast paced it is, how Shroud has Matt backed into a corner and tears him apart.

I'm a little mixed on Jubula Pride. I like her design but I don't like how quickly Matt starts to open up to her. As stated in story, I also don't like how she's supposedly been there for years and yet we've never heard of her before. She does not fit into the previous Owl character or any of this story arcs at all. She's a walking plot hole, and I'm really hoping it's revealed that she's a kidnapped child with falsely implanted memories or something. If she really is the Owl's daughter, that's pretty stupid.

The scene with the mayor was pretty dumb as well. Her reasoning against Matt was contrived, and the entire misunderstanding just seemed arbitrary to force Matt into more desperate measures. Maybe it would have worked better if the scene lasted more than a couple panels and we had gotten more dialogue and drama in place of a bunch of mindless, poorly drawn pages of Matt and Pride running around the city for no apparent reason.

And finally, like others said, I see no reason why Matt would go to Fisk instead of Shield. This comes up every time Matt's cycle comes back around. Even after Born Again, we see Black Widow asking why Matt didn't come to her for help when he was at his worst. It has only happened again and again since then. When Matt is at his worst, he just suddenly and stupidly forgets that he has plenty of powerful friends in high places. Just a couple weeks ago I read The Murdock Papers for the first time, and in that, it's explained away in that Widow tries to help him but the then-current director of Shield wasn't having it. At least that's an explanation. Here, among other times, there's really no excuse.

So overall, this issue was okay. It could have been worst, but it could have been a lot better as well.
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait a minute, "Matt's life crashes down on him" in the space of an issue?
I know it has happened in the past, but in those instances it was carefully crafted. Bendis spent three quarters of his run setting it up, Brubaker spent a year worth of issue, or maybe even more, to do so, and now not only Matt goes from being jolly jolly, happy-go-lucky etc. in the course of an issue but also resolves that the only one who can help him is Kingpin?
Dayle88
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a lot of pride would make Matt want to do things on his own. In this case he has already thrown that away by going to the Kingpin so it's nonsensical that he wouldn't go somewhere else first.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francesco wrote:
Wait a minute, "Matt's life crashes down on him" in the space of an issue?
I know it has happened in the past, but in those instances it was carefully crafted. Bendis spent three quarters of his run setting it up, Brubaker spent a year worth of issue, or maybe even more, to do so, and now not only Matt goes from being jolly jolly, happy-go-lucky etc. in the course of an issue but also resolves that the only one who can help him is Kingpin?

It's almost like that time where Matt's entire life falls apart in the space of one issue and in the end he decides (with no real proof) that it was due to the Kingpin.

What was the name of that issue again?

Plus, to be fair, the first three quarters of Bendis' run could have been done in an issue.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the feeling that Waid isn't walking away on his own terms even though Alonso said he is.But maybe I'm wrong.
Dragonbat
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could also be biting off more than he could chew. I don't know the timeframe from when a script is written to when it's out on the stands or if Waid is normally ahead of that curve, but this month alone, he's had DD, S.H.I.E.L.D, The Fox and Princess Leia come out, which means that he was probably writing them all around roughly the same time. He's also probably been writing Archie scripts.

Factor in his involvement with Thrillbent and his new comic shop and I'm thinking his overall work may be suffering due to there being only 24 hours in a day.

(I'm not trying to make excuses for him. I'm just pointing out that Volume 3 was a lot better and he had a lot less on his plate at that time.)
DesignDevil
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's almost like that time where Matt's entire life falls apart in the space of one issue and in the end he decides (with no real proof) that it was due to the Kingpin.

Plus, to be fair, the first three quarters of Bendis' run could have been done in an issue.

The "proof" was that only Kingpin would've had all the connections to dismantle his life so completely. As it says in the text "Nothing about it said gangster until this." Kingpin overplayed his hand, by blowing up Matt's home. Until then it was all seemingly unrelated aspects of his personal and financial life being take apart slowly over the course of many weeks, then he's almost assassinated. It made him realize one person was behind it. I doubt he would think Bullseye or Stiltman could manipulate the IRS.

Also more happened in that one issue in 1986 than in any twelve issues of a book published today. And again, it happened over the course of weeks in Miller's story, whereas Waid had it all fall apart in an afternoon and then Matt goes to his mortal enemy for help instead of his numerous "super" friends, many of whom have appeared in Waid's run.

I can only guess 3 possible outcomes to this garbage.
1) Some moronic deu ex machina. Oh Kingpin, who just happens to be in San Francisco, just happens to have a reality warping super hacker who can erase everything about anyone from every device on earth.

2) It won't really be resolved, but life will go on with no real consequence. Kinda like Matt outing himself at the end of volume 3 and not being immediately hunted down by everyone and God, then being able to move to another state like its nothing.

3) Marvel basically told Waid "Just take a huge **** on our best character, we're rebooting the whole thing this year anyway." Which unfortunately means this version of the brilliant and mature character we all love will end his story/existence/whatever as a complete clown.

All three are just bad storytelling.
Dragonbat
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Kingpin wants to set up shop in San Francisco. He tells Matt that he'll pull strings to get him readmitted to the bar in New York. Oh, and just to ensure Matt's cooperation, Foggy and Kirsten remain behind under Kingpin's 'protection'.

I'm working this next bit into a fanfic, actually, but it's occurred to me that

1) Kingpin is adept at twisting screws and manipulation.
2) Julia Carpenter was in New York at the end of Spider-Verse (and she's been in a coma for some time prior).
3) Kingpin does not like Leland Owlsley.
4) Kingpin does like making heroes squirm and do things that inspire self-loathing.
5) Kingpin was in New York for a very long time.

So, what if he's learned that Shroud has been looking for Julia, got to her first, and is holding her somewhere BUT as a precaution, he's told his people not to tell him where she is? Then he seeks out Shroud. Tells him that Julia will remain safe, so long as Shroud does what he asks. Assume Shroud threatens him, but it's useless, because Kingpin genuinely has no idea where Julia is. Kingpin's been planning to set up shop on the West Coast for some time, and he knows that to do so, he needs to take out any opposition. That means Owlsley. It means the Shroud. And now, it means Daredevil.

That whole fibre-optic tech stuff? Not his doing, but after Daredevil catches Owl and leaves him for the authorities, Kingpin arranges for Shroud to break him out and tells him how to use Owlsley's... what? Interface? to destroy Matt's new life. Of course, he knows that the Shroud is going to keep looking for Julia. Most likely, she's being held in some room somewhere with no computer screens/smart phones, etc.

But IF things go according to plan, when the dust clears, he hopes to have: two costumed crime-fighters neutralized and dancing to his tune. One living spy satellite/enslaved competitor.

That leaves Kingpin in one heck of a strong position.

Anyway, that's my theory.
Wheelie
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daredevil24 wrote:
I get the feeling that Waid isn't walking away on his own terms even though Alonso said he is.But maybe I'm wrong.

I think Charles Soule wants the toys back in the sandbox before he begins his run. So Kingpin is back and he's going to deus-ex-machina Matt back to New York and reset everything.
Wheelie
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... A relatively clean slate following the Secret Wars Marvel reset, as well.
Dragonbat
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has Charles Soule been confirmed as the new DD writer? I can't find an online source.
Thayrone Ibsen
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

So, "JC", you're so much of a DD fan that you don't even like "Born Again" or Bendis' run? What do you like, great DD fan, after all?
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:

Hold on. You're saying that the current issue is on par with that issue of which you can't remember the name? Because that would be extraordinary, and my guess is that the current issue only contains the usual "tell, don't show" shenanigans typical of Waid's run.

Also, Bendis' run might have been decompressed, but no way what he did to the character could have been done in an issue.
also the argument still stands for Brubaker.
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thayrone Ibsen wrote:
Quote:

So, "JC", you're so much of a DD fan that you don't even like "Born Again" or Bendis' run? What do you like, great DD fan, after all?

He's fixated with Nocenti's run.
Don't ask.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thayrone Ibsen wrote:
Quote:

Is this a joke? I was obviously being sarcastic. Francesco was basically saying that having Matt's life fall apart in one issue was bad because it had to be earned or set up. I was, sarcastically pointing out that Miller took Matt's life apart in one issue during the best Daredevil comic of all time as a way of pointing out that taking Matt's life apart in one issue isn't necessary a bad thing.

Obviously, I know that the issue is Apocalypse and anyone who has been on the board for longer than the last couple months should know I love it.

As for Matt "knowing" it was the Kingpin I said "real proof". It's logical, sure but there's no proof. Even in the next issue Matt isn't quite sure. BUT the issue ends with him saying that it was the Kingpin for sure because that makes a better ending for the issue.

And I did like Bendis' run when it came out. I was just making a joke about how decompressed his writing is.

Also, Nocenti is the best.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: