Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Charles Soule and Ron Garney -- New DAREDEVIL team
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoeWithoutFear
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that blind kid from... volume 3? I think it was earlier on in volume 3. The one who overheard something at work in Latvarian and got fired and etc etc.

Maybe it's that kid? Maybe DD is training him for ... some reason.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryu Murdock wrote:

Alonso: Charles and Ron come in with a vision for what they want to do with Daredevil. While this series definitely builds on what came before, they are going to leap headfirst into noir -- delving into the darker corners of Murdock's world without getting lost in it. And they are going to bring in a host of fascinating new characters that are going to make Daredevil's job a lot more complicated. Oh, and Charles is a practicing attorney, so expect Matt Murdock's closing arguments to be really on-point. And the rumor sites have one thing wrong -- that's not Gambit next to him.

Delving into the darker corners without getting lost in it is exactly what I'm looking for. Daredevil shouldn't be a bubblegum pop character, but it shouldn't be Bendis/Brubaker dark. I always say the best tone is the original Frank Miller run (before Born Again). It got dark with Elektra's death and Matt's emotional consequences for that, but it was also light and campy with The Paper Chase or Foggy's wedding.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
kentuckydevil
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes..

Frank Miller knew how to balance the character...hopefully Soule understands this as well..

and the apprentice is none other than a de aged Danny Rand..

or a de aged Donald Trump..

ky.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be ... disturbing

Anyway, I'm starting to read She-Hulk. Soule definitely wears the fact that he's a lawyer on his sleeve. I cheered when they were concerned about the one year deadline for Asylum. That's an attention to detail that's important but only a lawyer would care about.

The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Murdock wrote:
Ryu Murdock wrote:

Alonso: Charles and Ron come in with a vision for what they want to do with Daredevil. While this series definitely builds on what came before, they are going to leap headfirst into noir -- delving into the darker corners of Murdock's world without getting lost in it. And they are going to bring in a host of fascinating new characters that are going to make Daredevil's job a lot more complicated. Oh, and Charles is a practicing attorney, so expect Matt Murdock's closing arguments to be really on-point. And the rumor sites have one thing wrong -- that's not Gambit next to him.

Delving into the darker corners without getting lost in it is exactly what I'm looking for. Daredevil shouldn't be a bubblegum pop character, but it shouldn't be Bendis/Brubaker dark. I always say the best tone is the original Frank Miller run (before Born Again). It got dark with Elektra's death and Matt's emotional consequences for that, but it was also light and campy with The Paper Chase or Foggy's wedding.

Well there are noir stories they can do without Matt suffering a mental break down or having his life destroyed every 5 minutes. Matt can engage in noir stories that have more general stakes then personal ones.

I don't think Matt has had to deal with a Serial Killer or a Cult (maybe bring Synn back as a psychotic cult leader) in a long while, those could dark stories that Matt could deal. Heck you could take almost any B-list villain and give him or her a darker story line. Mr. Hyde kidnapping people and performing experiments on them, to perfect his Hyde formula could be dark. Or you do a story where the Wild Boys are now a street gang that recruit disadvantaged youths into its ranks. Really if Silver Age villains like Mr. Fear and Purple Man can get serious stories in the modern age, then surely other B-list DD villains can do the same, its all a matter of artistic imagination.

There is a middle ground between aping Miller and trying to recreate Silver age stories.

Ryu Murdock wrote:
Anyhoo...going back to what this thread is really about.

I read She-Hulk. Not really impressed with Soule. So, I hope that he brings something else writing DD.

Ron Garney. Well this guy I am impressed with. If he is responsible for the redesign of DD's outfit, kudos to him then!

To be fair the only thing She-Hulk and DD have in common is that they are both lawyers. The tone of the two books are totally different. She-Hulk is far more goofy and self aware then DD, DD tends to deal with more realistic legal cases, while She-Hulk deals with legal cases that highlight the over top nature of the Marvel Universe.

Soule's job on She-Hulk should not be a big reflection on his potential work on DD, because these two titles are so different.
Dragonbat
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking at some of his recent tweets and finding them intriguing...

https://twitter.com/CharlesSoule/status/617497634396315649
https://twitter.com/CharlesSoule/status/617497937652883456
https://twitter.com/CharlesSoule/status/617498227810693120
https://twitter.com/CharlesSoule/status/617501646768222208
Ryu Murdock
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Overlord wrote:

Ryu Murdock wrote:
Anyhoo...going back to what this thread is really about.

I read She-Hulk. Not really impressed with Soule. So, I hope that he brings something else writing DD.

Ron Garney. Well this guy I am impressed with. If he is responsible for the redesign of DD's outfit, kudos to him then!

To be fair the only thing She-Hulk and DD have in common is that they are both lawyers. The tone of the two books are totally different. She-Hulk is far more goofy and self aware then DD, DD tends to deal with more realistic legal cases, while She-Hulk deals with legal cases that highlight the over top nature of the Marvel Universe.

Soule's job on She-Hulk should not be a big reflection on his potential work on DD, because these two titles are so different.

Well let me clarify that I did not read She-Hulk and looked for Daredevil in it. I read She-Hulk as it is and as it's supposed to be read. It was okay but I was not impressed.

As for the apprentice...if I were writing this book. I would make that Raymond Connor.
Ash-n-Bone
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those tweets from Soule are very interesting, I can't wait to read some DD again.

So we're definitely going into darker territory again which is great. And the villains will be new, which is also great.

Hmmm? Could the apprentice be from another universe???
Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots and lots of spoilers in this interview with Soule and Garney at The AVClub.

They talk about the new status quo, secret identity and the sidekick...

http://www.avclub.com/article/daredevils-new-sidekick-and-status-quo-221786
DesignDevil
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the genie is going back in the bottle. How without some major world and history changing event is anyones guess.

One thing that stood out to me in that interview was in regards to Matt's new job. Soule used the words "junior guys like Matt" and "young ADAs". Makes me wonder if Matt isn't getting de-aged along with the secret identity returning. I think we may be getting more of a "reboot" than we think.
Dragonbat
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No mention of whether Foggy will still be part of the book. I really really hope he is...
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt is going to be a DA. Booooooooooooooooooooo.

This is what you get when a corporate lawyer writes DD I guess.

Boo.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
Matt is going to be a DA. Booooooooooooooooooooo.

This is what you get when a corporate lawyer writes DD I guess.

Boo.

So what would be the problem with Matt working for the DA?

Do you think that because Matt is working for the DA, he will not be able to crusade for the little guy or real justice?

Just because Matt is working for the DA, doesn't mean he is going to become some ultra Republican who will want to lock up poor people for the slightest infraction, he can be the same person in a slightly different role.

The various Law and Order series present members of the DA's office as sympathetic and heroic, it really depends on who is being prosecuted. If a DA is prosecuting mobsters, rapists and serial killers, that person would still be sympathetic, if a DA is trying to railroad some person for dubious reasons, then the DA will seem like a creep.

So Matt can be sympathetic prosecuting some nasty criminals and if the DA tries to railroad someone, Matt can argue with him or her on that point. Forcing Matt into a larger organization can present him with different moral challenges then he would face in a private practice. You can even do a story with Matt investigating corruption in the DA's office, that could interesting. A new writer could just have Matt quit the DA's office in disgust and return to private practice, Matt doesn't have to work for the DA forever.

I do like that Soule is putting Matt into different situations, rather then recycling stories from past writers, whether it works or not depends on the execution, but I'm not sure the idea in of itself is a bad one.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm not a fan either. To me, having him be a defense attorney fit the idea of him as protector of the little guy - the defender of Hell's Kitchen. Yeah, there was always a weird little contrast, but I don't think that contrast is a bad thing (nor do I think it remotely goes away if he's prosecuting the cases he was personally involved in as Daredevil). There's a bit of a bullying aspect if Daredevil has the full power of the state behind him in prosecuting and punishing (and it takes away the aspect of Daredevil loving and wanting to help his enemies, which he has done in the past).

That being said, it's something different that I wouldn't mind seeing.

The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Murdock wrote:
Yeah, I'm not a fan either. To me, having him be a defense attorney fit the idea of him as protector of the little guy - the defender of Hell's Kitchen. Yeah, there was always a weird little contrast, but I don't think that contrast is a bad thing (nor do I think it remotely goes away if he's prosecuting the cases he was personally involved in as Daredevil). There's a bit of a bullying aspect if Daredevil has the full power of the state behind him in prosecuting and punishing (and it takes away the aspect of Daredevil loving and wanting to help his enemies, which he has done in the past).

That being said, it's something different that I wouldn't mind seeing.

To be fair, Daredevil clearly has given up on some his enemies. Psychos like Bullseye, Mr. Fear and Purple Man have clearly demonstrated they have no interest in reforming and I doubt Matt would have any pity for those guys at this point, those people clearly belong in prison. I think protecting Hell's Kitchen would involve keeping people like that off the street. Not every villain is going to be the tragic case like Gladiator or some pathetic loser like Stilt-Man, some of them are irredeemable and are guilty of serious crimes, like mass murder and rape.

There is more then one to protect Hell's Kitchen and let's face it if he is prosecuting people that are as bad as his worst villains, he would not seem like a bully. Justice means defending the innocent and punishing the guilty, Matt can still serve justice if he is putting some really heinious criminals behind bars. Matt would just be naive at this point, if he didn't think there some criminals you can't reform.

Again I think whether DD as a ADA is a good story or not will depend on how its executed, but I don't think its a bad idea in of itself, showing the other side of the legal system could be interesting and show DD trying to serve justice under different circumstances.

I can understand why some people would unhappy with this development, because it seems to go against DD's traditional role, but it could work if executed well.

Also in the Wire, they had some pretty corrupt and slimy defense attorneys, who broke the law to get their obviously guilty clients off the hook , so I don't think defense attorneys are instantly more moral then prosecutors, it depends on how they are written.

That is why I think Matt could serve justice as either a defense attorney or a ADA, his role would different, but his morals would remain the same.

Last edited by The Overlord on Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:41 pm; edited 4 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: