Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Charles Soule and Ron Garney -- New DAREDEVIL team
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darkdevil
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ideally, the legal system's focus should be justice, but the system is flawed so sometimes justice is swept to the wayside in favor of the law.

This reminds me of a quote that is sometimes attributed to why Bruce Wayne chose to become Batman instead of a cop or FBI agent- 'Is it Justice? No, it's the Law'

Bruce's concern is more about true justice than the broad limitations that the law carries that sometimes prevents or alters true justice being meted out. I think the same could apply to Matt. By working within the DA's office, Matt could witness innocent victims not being served the justice they deserve and see criminals passed over for the real justice they require. That would certainly have an effect on his activities as DD as well as disturb his own principles.

Depending on how Soule portrays this, I think he is setting Matt up for some quality drama and conflict.
Dragonbat
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, there goes all the sadness and respect about people fighting against cancer blah, blah, blah. A good reset of the universe and they're like new.

A little hard to judge that this early, don't you think? We don't know whether Foggy will still be in treatment, whether he'll be in that critical five years after the cancer appears to be gone, when he needs to watch and worry that it might come back, whether it'll be referenced, etc. Yes, the whole cancer plot line might get tossed out amid all the other changes. But we don't know that for sure, yet. The only thing we know is that Foggy is still in the book.

A big part of why I read is the Matt-Foggy friendship. It's far from the only reason I do, but it's one of the things I really love. (And hey, just because Foggy's in the book is no guarantee that they won't be facing each other at opposite ends of a courtroom and thoroughly hating each other—though that is not something I want to see.) At this point, I'm just glad he won't be killed off/in limbo.
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They said Matt is now a young man out of law school hired to work for the DA office or some **** like that, didn't they?
That pretty much means a big reset button.

edit: sorry, I mean "stuff like that". geez.
Dragonbat
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading over the interview, maybe not. What Soule says is:

Quote:
Basically, there are a lot of ADAs like Matt, and the junior guys (again, like Matt) are on a sort of rotation, something called ECAB [Early Case Assessment Bureau]. The court runs until 1 a.m., two full shifts, and you don’t necessarily know ahead of time when you’ll be on call to appear, work cases, etc. It’s all really fast-paced, both grueling and exciting, and there’s a bunch of horse-trading that goes on with the young ADAs as they try to figure out how to work those shifts and still live their lives.

Reading that paragraph, it might mean that Matt's been de-aged, agreed. However, looked at in the context of the rest of the interview, Soule seems to be keeping the past firmly in mind. There are two ways to read it:

1) Junior=young. Matt is a young ADA.
2) Junior may = young but may also = newbie. As in 'has been a defense attorney since the get-go and now working for the DA's office, this is new to him. He's relatively inexperienced in this aspect. Many of his colleagues are now younger than he is (the 'horsetrading young ADAs'), but Matt is still the same age he's been for the last some-odd decades.

Of course, this could be the usual time-compression thing that happens when a character's been around for 50 years and hasn't hit 40 yet. I.E. Yes, Matt and Foggy are young. Not 24, but 29-30 type young. Yes, everything that happened in canon pretty much happened over the last 5 years. Don't think about it too hard.

I'm not saying your view is wrong. I'm just saying it's too early to be sure of anything much right now.
Ash-n-Bone
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samuel Chung sounds like a really interesting character. Cant wait to see how Matt adapts to being the master as opposed to the student.

Tenfingers sounds awesome too. I really liked Bloody Lips from the Elektra series and so hopefully we can get something a little like that.

Everything I've read about this new story sounds awesome.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My interpretation of young ADA sounds like new ADA more than anything else. I also trust Soule to do his research (he certainly did for asylum petitions in She-Hulk). Do Manhattan ADAs really work until 1am? That's insane!

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Jonny_Anonymous
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soule said that Matt's boss was inspired by Robert Morgenthau who is mostly remembered for investigating corruption in the NYPD and clamping down on blue collar crime so I would expect to see a lot of that kind of stuff in his run.
humanaccident
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very excited for this new creative team, seems like just what we need!

Couple of points on the costume -
1) like that its black, really makes more sense for a ninja based superhero!
2) love the wrist tape! although he is martial arts trained DD learned his trade as a boxer first, it makes sense that he would tape up his knuckles, and it just looks really cool too!
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait to read this and finally put the current series to rest.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished reading Soule's first She-Hulk trade. While it's fun, it's light on superhero action. While the legal drama was interesting, at times it felt that he might as well have been writing an Ally MacBeal comic. The tone was very irreverent, and I'd say even more so than that of Waid's Daredevil.

I'll give Soule's Daredevil a chance, but I'm not sure, based on his She-Hulk run, that he's the appropriate man to steer the post-Secret Wars Daredevil.
Daredevil51
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimetre wrote:
I just finished reading Soule's first She-Hulk trade. While it's fun, it's light on superhero action. While the legal drama was interesting, at times it felt that he might as well have been writing an Ally MacBeal comic. The tone was very irreverent, and I'd say even more so than that of Waid's Daredevil.

I'll give Soule's Daredevil a chance, but I'm not sure, based on his She-Hulk run, that he's the appropriate man to steer the post-Secret Wars Daredevil.

Whatever he Soule does on DD, I know I'll like it better than what Waid has done to my Man Without Fear. W took my favorite Marvel book and 1 of 2 all-time favorite characters (just behind Batman) and made him completely unreadable & unrecognizable in one fell swoop.

Miller/Janson Vol 1
Miller/Janson Vol 3
Miller/Janson Vol 2
DesignDevil
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Who knows for sure whats coming, but having read both his She-Hulk and various other work, I'm confident that Soule knows how adapt his writing for different characters. Everything they've announced regarding the relaunch has suggested a return to a more mature and darker take on the character. Just the art style alone that Garney is showing fills me with confidence.
Daredevil51
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh god yes, I love the art I have seen for the new book! I'll even go so far as to say DD's new costume has really grown quickly on me. Of course I am so excited to finally get my Daredevil back, that I'm willing to happily accept numerous style changes to the character, as long as they bring back the darker gritty tone and feel, and go back to some sort of semblance of what made the superhero Daredevil Man Without Fear such a icon to me.

Miller/Janson Vol 1
Miller/Janson Vol 3
Miller/Janson Vol 2
Dayle88
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Junior is definitely rank and not age. It's an exciting change because it aligns his interests. As a defense attorney I always imagined he'd have a lot of guilty people walking through the doors wanting to get off a sentence. We never saw an overload of that and it gave Daredevil something to investigate when it went the way of an innocent wrongly accused. Now he is going to actively pursue criminals in court and probably still be let down.
Wheelie
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RGdesigner wrote:
Quote:

Who knows for sure whats coming, but having read both his She-Hulk and various other work, I'm confident that Soule knows how adapt his writing for different characters. Everything they've announced regarding the relaunch has suggested a return to a more mature and darker take on the character. Just the art style alone that Garney is showing fills me with confidence.

Yes, I agree 100%. Soule can definitely write different tones.

The best work he's done at the Big Two is, imo, Swamp Thing over in DC. Swamp Thing is definitely not camp or light-hearted, so I agree that you shouldn't judge Soule on She-Hulk, which was a good comic for She-Hulk's light tone.

I think Soule is one of the most talented young writers working at the Big Two these days, and I'm very happy he's on Daredevil.

I also admire his work ethic: https://charlessoule.wordpress.com/2013/12/30/how-i-do-it/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: