Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DD Book Club: Born Again
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darkdevil
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimetre wrote:

If I have any knock against this issue, it's not a solid one. The Kingpin is understandably disturbed that Murdock is still alive and that he can't find him. That may be informing his decisions, and that may be why his decisions seem quite careless from this point on. Readers at the time had no idea who Nuke was, but employing him to flush out Murdock seems crazy and un-Kingpin-like. Same thing with the psychotic he employs in the next issue. But I guess it can be explained with the perfection of the plan he had put into action in the first two issues, and even though it was foolproof, Murdock survived. How maddening. I guess that's why the Kingpin's head isn't where it should be.

I think you've brought up a good point. In a way, we're starting to see a descent into uncertainty and perhaps even paranoia in Fisk that resembles Matt's fall to this point. His foolproof plan to destroy his enemy failed and now Fisk begins questioning his own choices moving forward to fulfill this goal once and for all. The fact that Wesley even dares to question Fisk's decision to summon Nuke is a sign of how desperate and unusual the situation has now become.

Juggling four distinct plotlines in one issue can be a challenge, but again, Miller's experience with pacing shines here. There's a certain flow to the sequence of events as we shift from one storyline to the next and back, that in the hands of a lesser writer, could have come off as being completely jarring.

Mazz continues to shine as well. I love the usage here of the slightly larger, one-panel shots with the side-bar of narration. Miller conveys a range of emotion and drama in which the shot Mazz depicts craftily illustrates. Also, the entire sequence of Ben listening to a murder on the phone with the normal background noise of the Bugle behind him is especially chilling and effective.

Karen finally reaches New York and begins searching for Matt. Her talk with Foggy was handled very well. For me, she has the best line of the whole issue, (to paraphrase), "Well, I'm a junkie and I need to find Matt. Else I'll be murdered". I can hear her saying that so nonchalantly and the look on Foggy's face in reaction is priceless. And of course, the fact that Foggy instantly takes up for her, even though Karen knows that he, in no way, can stand up to what's coming after her, is genuinely heartfelt. Like Foggy said, we're all family.

Then, we have Matt trying to recover while also questioning the presence and meaning of Maggie's involvement in his recovery. Again, the singular shot of Maggie praying for his recovery, the triangle imposed over the scene, the narration, really, one of the best scenes of the entire issue.

The question of Maggie being his mother is raised very quietly, isn't it? Usually such a bombshell is announced loudly, with exclamation marks, but here, it's brought up casually, innocently, on the very last page no less. I thought that was a superb choice by Miller in doing so.

I must say, the single panel of Matt asking her if she is his mother, that has to be one of the best facial shots of Matt that I've seen, even with the facial hair.

An amazing issue, 4.5 stars for me.
DesignDevil
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Between traveling over Thanksgiving and then being slammed the last week trying to catch up on work, I've fallen behind so I'll cover two issues here. I barely had time to go grab copy of the new DD#1 this week. So glad I did Smile

Daredevil 229. Pariah - 5/5
Miller continues his masterpiece. A wonderful retelling of his accident and his first experiences with his new senses open the issue. Miller adds something about a woman visiting Matt in the hospital and a gold cross. Probably nothing that will be relevant. Heh.

Now Matt is wondering the streets, a lost man with seemingly nothing, noting but a drive to keep going. And then Turk of all people stabs him and adds more injury to injury. Matt finds himself back in Hell's Kitchen (where he belongs) and makes his way to Fogwell's Gym. There finally collapsing after feebly trying to hit the bag. Now here's a nun cradling Matt in her arms, hey, she's wearing a gold cross. Hmm. The slow burn of this issue was a good choice after the events of the last two regarding Matt.

Ben here takes more active role in the story as does Karen. Miller was a master at juggling multiple characters and stories at once while never faltering or becoming uninteresting. The scene of the nurse coming after Ben and Manolis is just cringe inducing. "The worst thing is that I don't pass out." Karen continues to defend towards rock bottom as well, but she keeps moving and doesn't give up.

Miller wisely moves Kingpin to back burner with just that final iconic page being his only appearance in this issue. Now his weakness and desperation begin to show. The fact that he didn't succeed in Killing murdock eats away at him. "A man without hopeā€¦ is a man with fear". Damn right.

Daredevil 230. Born Again - 5/5
"Then Santa Claus stabbed me with a knifeā€¦" That line never fails to make me smile ear to ear.

Our hero spends the entire issue on his back recovering in a church basement, almost dying from his injuries and fever.
The page juxtaposing Karen and Fisk is just brilliant. Both driven in different ways with the same goal: Find Matt Murdock. The closeup of Karen's eyes are just gloriously rendered by Mazzuchelli.

The reveal on the final page is wonderful. Simple and subtle. "A heartbeat can tell you a lot. Hers just jumped. She's lying." I wasn't gonna go here, but what the hell. Maggie was a great addition to the Daredevil mythos. Almost every writer who has used her since kept with the groundwork Miller laid here. Its a shame a certain writer decided this simple and wonderful character needed to be turned in a hoodie wearing hipster activist with a needlessly retconned backstory that came across like an old GI Joe cartoon PSA.

This issue belonged to Ben Urich. Karen, Matt, Fisk, Foggy all had wonderful moments that drove the story, but Ben was the heart of this issue. You can feel his fear as he is reminded that Kingpin's people are are everywhere, even at his job. Jameson's brief appearance was great here and really showed that at his core, Jameson is a man of principals. Mazzuchelli perfectly illustrates terror in those panels leading to Manoli's death. A lesser man would've given up, but Miller's characters don't give up, whether Ben, Matt, Foggy, Karen, or Fisk. Just that last image of Ben in the issue speaking Matt's name is full of triumph. Ben Urich is not backing down. He is not going to be afraid.

A few other great moments of course are Melvin showing and being forced to create a Daredevil costume replica and the hints of Nuke and what terror he must be for Wesley to question Fisk's judgement openly. Miller, who loves his repetition, of course has Matt always go back to that core defining trait: "Never give up. Never".

I almost forgot to mention the brilliant title pages Miller and Mazzuchelli crafted for each issue so far showing an overhead shot of Matt unconscious symbolizing death through rebirth. First showing him in turmoil, then defeated, followed by the fetal position, to now Matt in a Christlike pose signifying a coming resurrection. It can't be said enough. On their best days, the other writers of Daredevil can't touch what Miller crafted.
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimetre wrote:
More beautiful work from Miller and Mazzucchelli.

Matt narrates in this issue more than I remember. For some reason I thought he was unconscious the entire issue. I wonder if that is what Miller originally had planned, but perhaps Macchio demanded more Matt time. The reason I say that is because Matt's supporting cast is without question the real focus of this issue. We even see Melvin Potter! J. Jonah Jamieson even makes an appearance, and I have never found him more admirable. Ben Urich is even front and centre on the cover.

I don't think I have ever seen so many different characters managed so well and share focus so effectively as this issue. Switching so swiftly from scene to scene is jarring, but that's the point, and I think only this medium can manage it this well.

Mazzucchelli is four issues deep into his work with Miller, and he is taking more artistic chances and risks than he ever did working with Denny O'Neil's scripts. There are little things, like the pattern of the easy chair in the Urichs' apartment, or the pattern of Foggy's jacket, but the scene with Jamieson and Urich is amazingly rendered. It's just red and the shadows from the venetian blinds. And the choice to show the triangle shape during Sister Maggie's prayer? That's just bold.

In four issues Mazzucchelli has been straying further and further from realism, and the results have been astounding. He has always been my favourite artist to ever draw Daredevil.

If I have any knock against this issue, it's not a solid one. The Kingpin is understandably disturbed that Murdock is still alive and that he can't find him. That may be informing his decisions, and that may be why his decisions seem quite careless from this point on. Readers at the time had no idea who Nuke was, but employing him to flush out Murdock seems crazy and un-Kingpin-like. Same thing with the psychotic he employs in the next issue. But I guess it can be explained with the perfection of the plan he had put into action in the first two issues, and even though it was foolproof, Murdock survived. How maddening. I guess that's why the Kingpin's head isn't where it should be.

I'll give this issue a 4.5 out of 5, simply because I suspect Miller wanted Matt unconscious throughout this issue, and that may have been a stronger choice in my opinion. However, I realize that is just my own suspicion.

I feel like Kingpin is having trouble managing his more baser sadistic urges and managing his organization.

Kingpin wants to have his organization be more legitimate, branch into more legal business areas, but is willing to take a big risk by bringing in Nuke to hunt Matt.

Sorry I didn't comment on this story till now, I have been a bit busy and Saturday is the day I have the most free time.

This is kinda of a breather issue, setting up future plot points and giving Matt time to recover from his injuries, most of this issue was about Urich and his struggle to get his story across. Though its sad that journalistic integrity has gone down hill in America, newspaper readership is going into decline and partisan cable news networks that sell. I can see why Urich was given a different path in the Netflix series, his brand of investigative journalism is far more rare now then it was in the late 80s, Urich has unfortunately become a dinosaur in today's media landscape.

I liked the implication that Kingpin's agents were everywhere, it shows how powerful he is, he can have a man murdered by a nurse in a hospital and then have a janitor warn him to stay quite.

There was a sense of hopelessness with Karen Page having to deal with a abusive boyfriend, which contrasts with helpless feelings Urich is dealing with and the helpless state Matt is in. Karen is clearly over her head and is seeking help from the man who she betrayed.

Also the intro of sister Maggie was good, its shame the character was kinda in limbo after this story arc though.
The art is still amazing. I will give this issue 4 and a half stars.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daredevil Vol. 1 #231 - Saved

Quote:
Ben begins to expose the Kingpin and accidentally puts his wife in danger in the process. Matt and Karen are finally re-united!

Due 12/12

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, this is another classic issue. That, by now, goes without saying.

The notion of there being a board of directors running crime in New York is somewhat comical. I wonder if they hold annual general meetings? But it's true to the Kingpin's character, and clearly Miller is addressing the growing irrationality behind Fisk's obsession with Matt's survival. I love the shortness of Fisk's lines -- "Compound fracture. Both legs."

Another thing that has always stood out in this issue, to me at least, is Doris' dress. I love the loudness of the pattern Mazzucchelli chose, and how he simply laid it on and drew over it. And that image of Lois through the peephole has always stayed with me.

What I forgot about, and I found quite chilling, is the way Max Scheele coloured Ben completely blue when he reenters his living room and sees Lois handcuffed. (Where did Matt get the handcuffs?

Mazzucchelli's drawings of the emaciated Karen going through withdrawal are fantastic. It's amazing that Marvel published such a heavy story in 1986. Wasn't this around the time Peter Parker swung around in an old Fantastic Four outfit wearing a paper bag over his head?

I'm going to miss Fisk's verbose man in the field. He was only around for a few issues, but he had a major impact.

I only had two minor quibbles. The very small one is this: Why, if she was just on the phone with Ben, did Doris open the door to Lois? I guess Miller addressed this with the quip about Idaho, but it seems to strain credulity. She's not exactly new to Hell's Kitchen. The other is that I don't think Matt could have knocked the gun out of Paulo's hand with a falling icicle. That really strains credulity.

I give this issue a 4.5 out of 5.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the issue starts, it's clear that the Kingpin's vendetta is starting to be a detriment to his organization. Other cracks are starting to come through too. Ben Urich is speaking out against the Kingpin and the Nick Manolis murder. The nurse decides to take matters into her own hand, which leads to a terrifying moment where we're not sure if she'll survive. But, consistent with the brigher tone so far, she does. More importantly, Ben realizes that Matt's alive and saved him.

I love Melvin Potter. Love the conversation between him and Betsy where she just ended up as a psychiatrist. It's little touches of humor mixed in with serious situations that often get overloooked. The issue also features Karen's recovery. Obviously, physical recovery is important, but it's also important to deal with the past. The two stories suprisingly intersect with Paulo shooting at cops at the same time as imposter Daredevil shows up. I like the sociopath, how he kills his handler just for the hell of it before carrying out the mission. Matt obviously stops the guy while Karen is caught in the cross-fire. I like that Miller doesn't make Karen magically cured. Her thought is "I'm dead anyway, one more high." Luckily, Matt comes in and saves her (in more way than one). Cool little ending recap with Ben Urich. I can see why people view this as the last story. Urich's news report definitely has a conclusory feeling. On the other hand, they've already laid the groundwork for what's to come and this felt like winning the battle, not the war.

This one is definitely "Saved" with multiple meanings. I'd like to give it some other score, but Five Stars.

The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimetre wrote:
Of course, this is another classic issue. That, by now, goes without saying.

The notion of there being a board of directors running crime in New York is somewhat comical. I wonder if they hold annual general meetings? But it's true to the Kingpin's character, and clearly Miller is addressing the growing irrationality behind Fisk's obsession with Matt's survival. I love the shortness of Fisk's lines -- "Compound fracture. Both legs."

To be fair, a lot of mafia organizations have tried to organize themselves like businesses, these mafia groups were called "Murder Inc" by the press in the 30s and 40s. So Kingpin having a board of directors is not that unrealistic.

Though perhaps Kingpin firing and injuring board members who bring up legitimate concerns is not the best way to run a business. Wink

Dimetre wrote:

Another thing that has always stood out in this issue, to me at least, is Doris' dress. I love the loudness of the pattern Mazzucchelli chose, and how he simply laid it on and drew over it. And that image of Lois through the peephole has always stayed with me.

What I forgot about, and I found quite chilling, is the way Max Scheele coloured Ben completely blue when he reenters his living room and sees Lois handcuffed. (Where did Matt get the handcuffs?

Mazzucchelli's drawings of the emaciated Karen going through withdrawal are fantastic. It's amazing that Marvel published such a heavy story in 1986. Wasn't this around the time Peter Parker swung around in an old Fantastic Four outfit wearing a paper bag over his head?

Well Spider-Man is a character that appears in a variety of stories, in 1987 you had Kraven's Last Hunt, where he got buried alive by his old enemy Kraven. There were also some darker stories in the early 80s with the X-Men, with stories like Days of Future Past and God Loves, Man Kills. I think Born Again was one of many darker stories that appeared in Marvel at the time, rather then the story that started Marvel exploring darker materials.

However I will agree, the way they portray Karen Page's drug use is pretty good in this issue.

Anyway this issue was a lot of set up again, but its good set up.

Something interesting was Matt having to deal with his "evil twin" (evil twins are very common in comics), with Matt facing off against a psycho wearing his costume and defeating him. You say this is reflective of the inner turmoil and paranoia Matt has been dealing with for the last couple of issues, with Matt defeating his own dark feelings. Its another demonstration of Kingpin's power, if he can get something that deranged free to run errands for him. Matt stealing his costume and leaving him naked was kinda funny.

I do think Lois attacking Ben Urich at his home is reflective of how crime can affect normal people at their homes and we see other real world problems being addresses, like Karen's drug use and her having an abusive boy friend who won't leave her alone.

The art is still great, I will give this issue 4 and a half stars.

Last edited by The Overlord on Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Darkdevil
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here again, we see the strains and cracks of Fisk's obsession with Matt as various people in this issue, from the board member to the nurse, openly questioning, if not outright defying, Fisk's wishes and intents, something that would seem unfathomable before this situation came about. Crime may be up but others seem to be losing faith in Fisk's leadership over his feud for unknown reasons with a disbarred lawyer.

Karen's drug withdrawal was handled very well, as was her shaky reasoning and thoughts over taking one last hit amidst gunfire. It may be dark for the time, but Marvel has come quite the long ways since the days of Amazing Spider-Man #96, where Stan Lee brazenly defied the Comics Code Authority to do an anti-drug story when you weren't even allowed to mention drugs at all.

The pacing of the action throughout this issue was fantastic, from Ben's apartment to Foggy's apartment. Finding your wife hanging in the bathroom is chilling enough but Ben's dialogue while trying to save her really enhanced the fear and tension of the scene. And I must say, it felt good to see Matt beat the tar out of the nurse. I can't quite tell, but to me, in the last shot where Matt kicks her in the jaw, Mazz makes it appear as if Matt kicked her hard enough to crack the plaster in the wall behind her. Wow.

Then, there's the chaos at Foggy's apartment as Fisk's hasty plan to draw out Matt goes complete awry due to Paulo's actions. The sociopath was an interesting figure, as he can be seen as an extension of Matt fighting against his darker nature and violent impulses. What I think is most impressive is that Matt defeats him by using nerve/pressure points instead of outright rage as the sociopath was doing, a possible indication of Matt's reasoning overcoming his violent passions.

Of course, the full page shot of Matt and Karen grasping each other was well worth the wait, so emotionally fulfilling for this arduous journey so far (especially with the heroin needle still laying faintly in the snow beside them).

It's also interesting that this is the first time in this arc where the full opening shot of Matt is of him standing instead of sleeping/reclining in some fashion. Beautiful imagery.

4.5 stars
DesignDevil
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daredevil 231. Saved.

Another masterpiece from Miller and Mazzuchelli. Magnificently paced and wonderfully written.

Kingpin continues to be a terrifying force under millet's pen, but the cracks in his armor are showing. His obsession with Murdock causes his underling to dare question him. He is becoming reckless in his vendetta. The way Wesley had a check prepared for Switzer before he finished speaking and the cold and chilling way Kingpin says "Compund fracture. Both legs." Perfect.

Meanwhile Matt Murdock is reborn. He's been through the crucible and taken everything Fisk has thrown at him and come out stronger on the other side. There are few more triumphant images of Murdock than the title page of this issue showing him standing tall and strong over the heavy bag he just knocked to the ground.

Ben Urich continues to be the co-hero of the series. Not backing down and telling his story, he almost pays for his bravery with Doris' life, but unbeknownst to him he has Matt watching his back. The horror on his face is expertly rendered by Mazzuchelli as he struggles to saves Doris, all the while Matt gives Lois the epic beat down that beast of a woman so deserves.

The upward shot of Matt racing across the rooftop towards Melvin's with the falling icicles foreshadowing the climax of the issue is so simple yet amazing.

Poor Foggy. Such a good and brave friend who gets knocked out and misses the amazing climax. The way the action culminates here is masterful. Matt is fighting smarter and takes down the DD imposter in short order. Karen finally hits her rock bottom, only caring about protecting Foggy and hoping Paolo won't hurt him. Then it all goes to hell and in the middle of the gunfight she grabs for the syringe for one last high before she dies. With a well placed icicle, Matt saves her. That final full page shot of Matt and Karen in each others arms is such a relief, and fully earned.

Dimetre mentioned the icicle as straining believability, and I used to agree. I've read Born Again numerous times over my many years and that moment used to bug me too, and then I thought about the fact that Matt regularly bounces his batons off of multiple surfaces before hitting his targets, targets that are often moving. If he can do that impossible feat, I've got no trouble believing he could drop that giant icicle at just the right time to hit a target directly below.

5/5
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daredvil Vol. 1 #232 - God and Country

Quote:
Matt helps Karen kick her drug habit. Kingpin hires a deranged Super Soldier to go after Daredevil.

Due 12/19

Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this issue, the Kingpin's obsession with flushing Matt out of hiding has reached its peak, and logic, tact and reason have completely gone out the window. And it's easy to see why.

The tables have completely turned. Where in the second chapter Matt was completely irrational, Matt has found a new lease on life. He has found a new sense of purpose as Karen's guardian, and seems to have no attachment to anything the Kingpin has taken away. The former attorney even seems to take some joy in a job as a short-order cook. It's easy to draw parallels between Matt Murdock and the biblical Job.

The character of Nuke is a complete buffoon, and I think that's intentional. He's American patriotism run amock, but the bloodshed he can generate is very frightening. I, personally think he's a great villain. I enjoyed the What If issue in which he appeared, and I liked when he showed up in Captain America either last year or the year before. I find it tragically funny that it's Frank Miller, of all people, who created him. Nuke is emblematic of the non-thinking goonery typical of many on the far-right of the political spectrum. The scene where Fisk plays Nuke like a fiddle is somewhat funny, but I think it rings far truer today than it did in 1986. (Maybe I'm looking at 1986 though rose-coloured glasses. After all, Reagan wasn't the most honest president.)

Mazzucchelli is, again, masterful this issue. I think the jail scene was his highlight this time. I loved the pattern of Blanders' coat. I loved the way the blood flowed from the butt of the pistol. Every expression on Urich's face.

RGDesigner called Ben Urich the co-hero of "Born Again." That never occurred to me. I always focused more on the Matt/Fisk protagonist/antagonist relationship. When I read the final chapter next week, I'm going to pay special attention to Ben's state of mind, because this story has really put him through the wringer.

I'll give this 4.5 out of 5, simply because I think "Born Again" reached its peak around the second or third issue, and I can feel it winding down. Still, comics don't get much better than this. Classic.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woops. This slipped through the cracks. My apologies.

Early on is Karen recovering with Matt as the caretaker. It's such a change of pace from only a few issues ago when Matt was the one who was helpless. There's something positive and reassuring. Plus, he shaved, which was probably a good idea. This is the start of Matt flipping burgers, which was short-lived, but a nice change of pace (essentially him breaking free of his old life). The narrative on the right side helps give the sense that, by doing this, he can be part of the vibe of Hell's Kitchen.

The second plot is Ben Urich, of course. This time, Glori gets a greater role as a photographer. Her cool under pressure is great as she photographs the action. But Ben is the hero. But for sound effects, it's two and a half pages of silence and action. This feels very much like a modern comic in that regard, and it creates this tense quiet that is truly allowed to breathe.

Given Netflix, this issue feels very timely. I like Nuke. He's crazy, but it's a cool kind of delusion that creates a good sense of menace if you're at the receiving end. The Kingpin's speech could have come straight from First Blood. I love the manipulative lies and half-truths. After all, he is, by strictest definition, a criminal. Nuke's attack on Hell's Kitchen is brutal, but the brutality lies in Miller's prose more than the art (which I think makes it hit even more). At the same time, it's clearly overkill. It's clear that Kingpin is slipping and Matt's going to race in to rescue. As they begin to fight, it abruptly ends.

Having a chance to read it every week as opposed to all at once, it's a different experience. For starters, I thought it ended later (I had to glance ahead to make sure I was remembering a scene correctly). I think the week off helped make clear Matt's recovery. This issue is about the aftermath. Because of that, it's a bit of a step down, but there's some great moments (such as with Ben Urich and Glori) that make up for it. Four and a Half Stars.

DesignDevil
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daredevil 232. God and Country.

I'll just repeat myself. Another masterpiece from Miller and Mazzuchelli. Magnificently paced and wonderfully written.

Matt Murdock still going strong and helping Karen in her recovery. Nothing Kingpin took from him mattered because his career and all his stuff was not who he was. Fisk can't take that away and he failed in trying to kill him. Matt just needs to step back up as Daredevil as Karens sees that he wants to, but he needs that push. Now Fisk is the one losing control and he goes too far in unleashing Nuke into Hell's Kitchen.

Ben Urich and Glori get some great moments in this issue as Miller lets Mazzuchelli's art do the heavy lifting of their big scene. Speaking of the art, that final page is one of the most badass images in the history of the character. Daredevil is back. You almost feel bad for Nuke.

Now lets talk about Nuke. I'm gonna be honest here, so I apologize if I ruffle any feathers. Nuke almost crosses the line into absurd parody, but Miller makes him work. Nuke represents a slight change of tone from the previous issues of this story. He's the perfect representation of the Rambo worshiping, sound bite patriotism, of Reagan's 1980's America. Its ironic and tragic how this cartoonish symbol of the modern American military policy is still very relevant today. Of course the next issue really deals with this more with its juxtaposition of Nuke and a certain other character. Kingpins words of faux patriotism and pro-corporate bull**** to Nuke to get him riled up to unleash his "patriotic" fury are like sound bites from Fox News. The truly tragic thing is that Miller would probably make Nuke the hero of the story if this was written today. Thankfully this was written by Miller at his absolute peak long before he went nuts and it works to setup the finale to the best Daredevil story ever.

The only reason this isn't a 5/5 like the previous 5 issues is you can tell that Mazzuchelli was rushed in some of the panels mores than the previous. Still masterful storytelling though.
4.5/5
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To echo what everyone else is saying, I think its a shame that the Frank Miller of today has become an ultra neo con and would likely argee with the speech Kingpin is giving, Miller has truly lost his artistic touch since the 80s.

I do think is where the story starts getting a bit less realistic, Nuke is a more over the top character then what we had previously seen in this series.

I like the fact that Kingpin was able to get a cop to kill Lois in the police station, its another good demonstration of his power and its kinda looking back at this scene, considering we see Kingpin pull off similar stuff in the Netflix series.

I will say one thing about the Netflix shows, I think they made Nuke more of developed character there then in this comics, where he is a just a caricture. Netflix Nuke develops into the drug addicted, the means justify the means type psycho over the course of several events and the fall from grace, him going to nice guy to this psycho is a real character, I'm not sure Nuke in the comics ever got that level character development. Don't get me wrong, Nuke is a decent character in the comics, but a bit one dimensional. I do wonder if they adapt Born Again to the Netflix series, whether this version of Nuke will appear or not.

I do like the contrast of Nuke fighting dirty secret wars in South America and then using the same tactics in Hell's Kitchen, an example of an out of control military industrial complex who turn their weapons on anyone.

It was also a nice contrast to see Matt get his life together, while Kingpin has become more reckless.

It was nice to see Urich become more confident and defeated the corrupt cop threatening his life.

It was also good to see Karen Page dealing with her addiction and slowly becoming more sober as time goes on, while having to deal to withdrawal.

The art work is still great, I will give this issue 4 and a half stars.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nuke's interesting also as a way to think about Frank Miller's politics. Honestly, if I saw this story, I would think Miller leaned towards the left. It's an attack on the military-industrial complex. It's mocking jingoism. Even the John Rambo boys left behind in Vietnam is done in a way that's almost absurd enough to be parody. Obviously, his politics tend to be much farther to the right (at least today it is), but it's interesting he was able to make this story the way it was.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: