Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Gap Between Vol 1 and Vol 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DD'sbootyshorts
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:30 pm    Post subject: Gap Between Vol 1 and Vol 2 Reply with quote

I just finished reading the Widow's Kiss trade and it seemed to me that vol 2 started off in a completely different place than vol 1 ended. As an example, I thought Matt and Karen were together at the end of vol 1 but at the start of vol2 they have been seperated for months. Was there something I was suppose to read between these two volumes?

Thanks for the help.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, it was just a gap of a few months. The opening of Guardian Devil pretty much addressed both the fact that it happened and why.

Keep in mind the original plan was to continue the numbering and Kevin Smith's run would just be the next few issues rather than Volume 2.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
DD'sbootyshorts
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that is irritating. It seems kinda like Kevin Smith just came in, made up the history he wanted to set up his story, and killed Karen. Was there any reason that he decided to do that or did he just kill her to create cheap drama?
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably wanted to give the story greater stakes. The story deliberately parallels Born Again in some ways, so I suspect he wanted her to be gone at the beginning for that reason. It's possible he planned to kill her off from the beginning or it's possible the decision to make this story the first story of volume 2 encouraged him to make the ending bigger.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Dayle88
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a good thing sometimes to allow a creator to play with their starting point. As long as it is addressed and isn't ridiculous it can benefit the story. It isn't really different from a TV show shuffling some things between seasons.

History and continuity should be present but they should never hold back a story.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: