Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL #6 Preview, Reviews and Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What did you think of DAREDEVIL #6?
36%
 36%  [ 4 ]
45%
 45%  [ 5 ]
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 11

ManWithoutBeer
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francesco wrote:
The issue was a good one, but the "made everyone except Foggy forget" clearly has glitches. When Matt first met Elektra, during Miller's run, he was already showing off his physical prowess and his abilities, jumping around in a makeshift costume (the one with the bandanna) and then attempting to save her and her dad when they were taken hostages, so it was clear to her that he was no ordinary blind man. Basically if she forgets Matt is DD she basically forgets Matt exists altogether.
Elektra is a master assassin, so she MUST have the necessary brains to make the connection.
It makes little sense that she knows Matt, she knows DD and she knows that Matt and DD are connected without immediately be aware that Matt is DD.

Agree 100%, this was my "WTF" moment while reading this issue. Elektra is one of the most well-trained assassins in the world! How would that not include the ability to deduce or at least suspect the truth about Matt/DD? Absurd, almost to the point of taking me out of the whole story.

There has to be an explanation. It's SUCH an out of character turn for Elektra, coupled with a drag of a first arc on this book where we've not answered the secret identity question for so long and are only just now getting to some clues.. I've really become frustrated with the run overall. There may be a great idea behind all of this- but for now, it's hard not to say this is a clunky execution, at best, of dragging out a mystery.

I'd say this is the best issue of Soule's run by far, and it is. I liked the action, and the art improved on Garney IMO. That the issue still has big concerns only speaks to how bad the first arc was.

The whole issue was an Elektra courtroom sighting and fight- which could have been a sidebar in one of the previous 5 issues, providing us with dangling plot threads, clues as to the mystery of how DD restored his hidden identity, and some actual intrigue to the boring Tenfingers tale. The Tenfingers arc, with this Elektra fight/clues/revelations subplot included, could've been done better in 3-4 issues. But such is modern monthly comics, where everything is sewn up for the trade.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Her memory was magically erased. She never made the connection before because she had no opportunity to make the connection. At least, that's my best guess without more info on this.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
JoeWithoutFear
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue was generally quite good. I liked the art work and what little we have of the story so far is generally intriguing. I was also glad to have so little Blindspot. Daredevil does not need a sidekick.

However, the thing that ticked me off is, have we gone so far with feminism in comic books that DD can't even land a blow against Elektra? Like, she just completely kicks his ass. Even after he collects himself and gets ready to brawl.

Would it be offensive if DD struck a woman even in battle? Is it that uncool to show a woman capable of MAYBE losing a fight? Keep in mind, I'm fine with Elektra winning the battle. I think it serves a narrative purpose for her to beat Matt in that scene. But to depict Matt as so completely outclassed by her? These are warriors who have gone toe to toe a hundred times. Why is she suddenly in a whole other league compared to Matt??
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoeWithoutFear wrote:
However, the thing that ticked me off is, have we gone so far with feminism in comic books that DD can't even land a blow against Elektra? Like, she just completely kicks his ass. Even after he collects himself and gets ready to brawl.

Would it be offensive if DD struck a woman even in battle? Is it that uncool to show a woman capable of MAYBE losing a fight? Keep in mind, I'm fine with Elektra winning the battle. I think it serves a narrative purpose for her to beat Matt in that scene. But to depict Matt as so completely outclassed by her? These are warriors who have gone toe to toe a hundred times. Why is she suddenly in a whole other league compared to Matt??

I think Elektra is someone whom Daredevil would always pull his punches. He will always see some glimmer of the woman he used to love inside of her, no matter what reprehensible thing she does. So it makes sense to me that whenever the two of them fight, he would be playing defence only.

A fight against Typhoid would play out much the same way, because I think Matt blames himself for a lot of what has happened to her. Now, if it was a fight against Insomnia, there wouldn't be that conflict, but who knows when we'll ever see her again?
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally tend to idolize DD's fighting prowess, but in the case of Elektra I think she's simply a better fighter than him.
She's more relentless, being an assassin, while he's more of a vigilante who fights to incapacitate the opponent.
JoeWithoutFear
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can accept those explanations. I think they make sense from a narrative standpoint. I guess I would be much more comfortable with all of it (and not leap to the conclusion I did) if it didn't seem like there were so many narrative choices made by Marvel lately that were fueled by, shall we say, non-story-driven philosophies. =\
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: