Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Daredevil Spinoff Books Coming
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darkdevil
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I love it when Mike and others point out any real legal snafus. I don't expect DD to be completely accurate in such regards but it's still fun to read any discrepancies.

As for these new spinoffs, meh. I may try the first issue of both just to see what is going on but neither one are screaming to be a must-buy title right now.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some talk about the spinoffs

Spoilers for Civil War II. But it talks about Marc Guggenheim writing for Daredevil as well as the role of the Kingpin going forward (in both Civil War II and in the Marvel universe).

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interview with Ed Brisson about his new Bullseye book

Quote:
Marvel.com: What do you have planned for the first story arc?

Ed Brisson: Without spoiling too much, we’re sending Bullseye to Colombia. It’s Bullseye vs. a crime cartel that makes Pablo Escobar look like Mr. Rogers.

What I really wanted to do with this series was to tell a solid Bullseye story that feels like a good, street-level crime story. Those are the types of stories that tend to get me really excited and something that I think the reader will dig.

He also mentioned there will be a few characters from the Nocenti/Romita run. I'm guessing it's probably one of the villains like Bushwacker, Bullet, Ammo, etc., but I'd love if they actually drew attention to that final arc that featured Bullseye as well.

Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updates to this story

Two big things:
One, there's an Elektra book coming out too, which makes a lot of sense (I still need to read Elektra: Assassin)
Two, these books will interact with each other.

The second one is intriguing, but makes me sad for my wallet. Basically, it's a Daredevil universe like the X-Men have one (or Spider-Man back in the 90s). My plan was to wait for reviews, but I might have to check out the first arc on each of them.

Dayle88
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayle88 wrote:
Kingpin is an obvious choice for Marvel considering his Netflix popularity.

I expect Daredevil season three will be announced soon and a certain bit of casting soon after that just might explain the other book... Laughing

I think I nailed it.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running With the Devil

*Cue guitar solo*

Short version - we'll finally learn how Daredevil got his secret identity back, followed by the spinoff books:

Kingpin

Bullseye

Elektra

I was skeptical at first, particularly Bullseye, but I think these might be fun. Bullseye will apparently send him to fight a drug cartel in another country, which will be perfect to allow us to root for him while he's killing people. Elektra will apparently involve Arcade and Murder World. I don't know who else will like that, but it sounds awesome to me. Kingpin I'll wait and see. Regardless, this sounds like a fun "event."

Darkdevil
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's about time that DD got his own small stable of related books. Avengers-related books have skyrocketed over the last few years, the X-franchise, Spidey and his set of books, it's good to see DD getting some of that high visibility as well.

However my wallet may not like it. *sigh*

It's also nice to get a target issue for finally learning this almighty secret. Though by this point, I can only wonder if it's actual reveal can live up to any and all fan expectations.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not super excited about these books to be honest. Remember last time they tried to give DD an expanded event? Didn't go so well.

The other problem is can any of these characters actually sustain a book? I mean maybe Elektra can. Even with her though I feel like that have to make her less interesting to actually build a book around her. My favorite Elektra portrayals have always been when she's a force of nature. Which is cool as a character in a DD book but not as the main character in her own book. Same thing but maybe double for Bullseye and Kingpin. They work really well as foils or opposites to Daredevil. Which makes them good bad guys but bad main characters. All that aside, can anyone name an ongoing book based on a villain that has endured?

One last negative point: the fact that it's also built around what can only be a disappointing reveal regarding DD's newly secret identity just makes me more wary.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
I'm not super excited about these books to be honest. Remember last time they tried to give DD an expanded event? Didn't go so well.

The other problem is can any of these characters actually sustain a book? I mean maybe Elektra can. Even with her though I feel like that have to make her less interesting to actually build a book around her. My favorite Elektra portrayals have always been when she's a force of nature. Which is cool as a character in a DD book but not as the main character in her own book. Same thing but maybe double for Bullseye and Kingpin. They work really well as foils or opposites to Daredevil. Which makes them good bad guys but bad main characters. All that aside, can anyone name an ongoing book based on a villain that has endured?

One last negative point: the fact that it's also built around what can only be a disappointing reveal regarding DD's newly secret identity just makes me more wary.

I think with Kingpin you can tell interesting stories with a mob boss character, look at Breaking Bad, Boardwalk Empire and the Sopranos, big TV series that feature criminal protagonists.

Bullseye is a harder sell, because he is pure evil with no redeeming qualities, you can't root for him as a protagonist in the long term.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why sending him to another country to assassinate a cartel leader makes sense. You have him kill other bad guys and he's easier to root for.

The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Murdock wrote:
That's why sending him to another country to assassinate a cartel leader makes sense. You have him kill other bad guys and he's easier to root for.

That makes sense for a mini series, but as an ongoing, what is he going to do next story arc? Sooner or later Bullseye will kill innocent people, for kicks, its really hard to make him an ongoing protagonist, without changing him.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Overlord wrote:
Mike Murdock wrote:

That makes sense for a mini series, but as an ongoing, what is he going to do next story arc? Sooner or later Bullseye will kill innocent people, for kicks, its really hard to make him an ongoing protagonist, without changing him.

Well, to be fair it is a mini-series.

Why aren't you laughing?
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
The Overlord wrote:
Mike Murdock wrote:

Well, to be fair it is a mini-series.

Oh I missed that.

Okay that canwork, I actually liked some of the villain minis that come up now and again.

Garth Ennis wrote a mini series staring an evil scum bag villain he created for the Punisher Max series, the Barrcuda. That mini was fun, despite the unsympathetic protagonist.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Overlord wrote:

I think with Kingpin you can tell interesting stories with a mob boss character, look at Breaking Bad, Boardwalk Empire and the Sopranos, big TV series that feature criminal protagonists.

Maybe. The problem is that Tony is a good (or at least conflicted) guy. I haven't watched the other two but I assume a lot of the drama comes out of the "bad guy"'s conflicted struggles. Kingpin works best when he's pure bad.

We'll see though.

Why aren't you laughing?
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
The Overlord wrote:

Maybe. The problem is that Tony is a good (or at least conflicted) guy. I haven't watched the other two but I assume a lot of the drama comes out of the "bad guy"'s conflicted struggles. Kingpin works best when he's pure bad.

We'll see though.

Except Kingpin has had humanizing moments through out the decades. Not just the stuff with Vanessa from the Miller era and beyond, but also stuff the Brubaker era, where he starting dating a Spanish woman and adopted her kids as his own.

Lets face it DD has a bunch of irredeemable scumbags in his rogues gallery, mass murderers, rapists and slavers.
I think Fisk not being pure evil makes him stand out from the pack.

I don't think Fisk is the most evil crime boss in the Marvel universe, Owl is a psycho who feeds his men to rats and is a would be rapist and Crime Master from Agent Venom was a perverted murderous pychopath who wanted to sell weapons to genocidal dictators. I think Fisk might be better then those guys by default.

I think the Punisher Max version of Kingpin is the most evil version of that character.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: