Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Losing It: A Frank Miller Chronology of Failure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The off-topic section
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you believe Frank Miller's work has deteriorated over the years?
Yes
75%
 75%  [ 6 ]
No
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
Perhaps...
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 8

Knatty Dreadnok
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Losing It: A Frank Miller Chronology of Failure Reply with quote

An interesting thread regarding Frank Miller.

http://www.whiterose.org/howlingcurmudgeons/archives/010195.html
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, for my part I love Miller's current stuff. I sort of understand people not liking DK2 (even though I loved it) but I am truly blown away by people who don't like All Star Batman and Robin. I think it's pure genius. I think at one point hating on ASBaR became sort of the thing to do and critics were trying to out hate each other, writing more and more ludicris damnations of it. "Largest train wreck in the history of comics"? Really?

On the other hand I realize that his newer stuff is right up my alley both in terms of his treatment of the characters (who doesn't love Plastic Man?) and in terms of overall structure. I feel like Miller's newer stuff is sort of akin to some of Morrisson's stuff where it's more about moments and tone; big ideas linked together in a coherant world. It's not like his old stuff, sure. It's so weird seeing people turn on Miller for doing original stuff.

The other thing is that I think the real question is if Miller is now producing bad stuff, bad stuff compared to what? The funny thing about the thread you posted is that a few people throw out Alan Moore as the gold standard which is absolutely ridiculous. His latest LEG required the reader to be familair with Bertolt Brecht's work. Somehow critics held this up as a good thing as opposed to the stupidest thing in the world. If you want to have a "what famous books have you read?" competition every should just make a list and get out a ruler. No need to actually waste money on comics.

End of the day, I think Miller is still producing original, entertaining stuff. And that's enough for me.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Blind Alley
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
"Largest train wreck in the history of comics"? Really?

No, this title should be reserved for Jeph Loeb : Ultimates III, Wolverine :Evolution, Red Hulk and Ultimatum were horrible.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blind Alley wrote:
james castle wrote:

No, this title should be reserved for Jeph Loeb : Ultimates III, Wolverine :Evolution, Red Hulk and Ultimatum were horrible.

Yeah, but train wrecks happen when trains, which are supposed to stay on the tracks, fall off. Loeb was never on the track in the first place. The man's a bomb.

Why aren't you laughing?
Knatty Dreadnok
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
Blind Alley wrote:
james castle wrote:

Yeah, but train wrecks happen when trains, which are supposed to stay on the tracks, fall off. Loeb was never on the track in the first place. The man's a bomb.

Laughing
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The article was a little harsh on Frank. I mean every writer is going to have some clunkers here and there. Personally I am wating for "Holy Terror, Batman"
Master Murdock
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I was the only one who could see Frank Miller is terrible.... Cool
acnelson
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other night I read "300" again. Frank Miller is brillant
Master Murdock
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

acnelson wrote:

Maybe that's where he excels because when writing for street level heroes..his writing is so predictable.Everything has to be badass and then kicked up in the next issue.There's no thought put into it.His Batman and his Daredevil have the same exact personality and most of the women in these types of comics are whores,strippers,hookers,anything bad a woman can be.His All-Star Batman series was complete garbage.Anyone could have written it.The only reason I kept getting it was for Jim Lee's art.
acnelson
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Murdock wrote:
acnelson wrote:

whores,strippers,hookers,

What else do we need? Razz

But on a serious note, I only have issue #1 of Allstar B&R so I can't really say anything yet. I am a little behind. It seems Frank was writing the Marvel Max line long before it even existed. I would have liked to see Frank write for Marvel without the lousy CCA. I have a feeling the stories would have been even better.
Master Murdock
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

acnelson wrote:
Master Murdock wrote:
acnelson wrote:

whores,strippers,hookers,

What else do we need? Razz

But on a serious note, I only have issue #1 of Allstar B&R so I can't really say anything yet. I am a little behind. It seems Frank was writing the Marvel Max line long before it even existed. I would have liked to see Frank write for Marvel without the lousy CCA. I have a feeling the stories would have been even better.

I think I got up to issue #7 before I stopped reading the dialogue and only looked at the pictures.I think the best thing Miller has ever wrote was "The Dark Knight Returns" anything other than that I can't take it.He almost reminds me of Jeph Loeb sometimes because he seems to write things that don't make sense for the shock value.He is probably the only writer who let's Spider-Man punch women in the face.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite Miller is probably some sort of tie between Elektra Assassin, The Hard Good Bye and Born Again. Which basically puts the lie to the "everything he does is the same" argument that gets trotted out by people who haven't read his stuff. "All the women he writes are hookers, etc" gets thrown around a lot too. Which is actually true, I guess, unless you count Martha Washington and Elektra and Carrie and the Black Widow and Wonder Woman, which, you know, I think you should since they are women and he does write them.

As for All Star Batman and Robin, I love it. There is a sense where he's just kicking it up a notch but if you approach it as "this is Batman in his 20s" then it 1. makes sense and 2. is awesome.

I think the real irony is the people who poo poo All Star Batman probably would have poo pooed The Dark Knight Returns when it came out. It reminds me of the outcry regarding Morrisson's X-Men run. At the time fan boys were freaking out like crazy. Turns out it's actually an awesome run. Some people just don't like original stuff until loads of time has passed and someone else has told them to like it.

Why aren't you laughing?
Master Murdock
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
My favorite Miller is probably some sort of tie between Elektra Assassin, The Hard Good Bye and Born Again. Which basically puts the lie to the "everything he does is the same" argument that gets trotted out by people who haven't read his stuff. "All the women he writes are hookers, etc" gets thrown around a lot too. Which is actually true, I guess, unless you count Martha Washington and Elektra and Carrie and the Black Widow and Wonder Woman, which, you know, I think you should since they are women and he does write them.

As for All Star Batman and Robin, I love it. There is a sense where he's just kicking it up a notch but if you approach it as "this is Batman in his 20s" then it 1. makes sense and 2. is awesome.

I think the real irony is the people who poo poo All Star Batman probably would have poo pooed The Dark Knight Returns when it came out. It reminds me of the outcry regarding Morrisson's X-Men run. At the time fan boys were freaking out like crazy. Turns out it's actually an awesome run. Some people just don't like original stuff until loads of time has passed and someone else has told them to like it.

Well before reading Dark Knight returns.I kept hearing about how good it was.People who don't really even read comics recommended it to me.So when I read it I went in with high expectations and honestly I wasn't disappointed when I got to the end.

As far as All-Star Batman,I didn't like the way Batman was portrayed and when I said "kicking it up a notch" I meant that Batman would do something I found ridiculous and then take it to the next level in later issues.It was almost like Miller was trying to see how much he could make people hate Batman.

"All the women he writes are hookers" is a stereotype I know 100% of the female characters he writes aren't hookers or strippers but people don't just say these things to throw dirt on someone's name.There is an obvious trend in the women he writes.Even some of the women he writes who aren't strippers or hookers are far from the ideal girlfriend.
Knatty Dreadnok
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Miller's best work was Daredevil "The Man without Fear". But over the years I do believe his material has deteriorated.
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knatty Dreadnok wrote:
I think Miller's best work was Daredevil "The Man without Fear". But over the years I do believe his material has deteriorated.

Yes.Kudos for Miller on Daredevil.Alot of the things I like about DD he put into play.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The off-topic section All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: