Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Hopes for the new show (not predictions; just hopes)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What are your feelings about the new show?
I think it'll be great!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I'm cautiously optimistic - I can see a way that it might be good, if they go about it the right way.
75%
 75%  [ 6 ]
Reserving all judgement until I see it.
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
I'm skeptical - after what they did to the movie, I don't think it'll be good, but I'll give it a chance.
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
It'll be bad. I don't see any possible way for it to be good.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 8

Katerine
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Hopes for the new show (not predictions; just hopes) Reply with quote

I posted this reply in Ash-n-bones' "predictions" thread, but in retrospect, it's a little off-topic, and I don't want to hijack that thread. Smile So I've moved the reply here.

These are the things that I'm hoping the writers do with the new TV show. What are you guys hoping?

---

I'm hoping to see a character evolution. Events (and writers, but mainly events) have changed DD a lot over the years.

What I'm really hoping for, is that the writers of the show will... avoid what happened in the movie. That's the short version. [Disclaimer: I haven't seen the Director's cut of the movie, just the theatrical release.]

Writers, if you happen to be reading this: please, please begin by analyzing Matt's character from sometime before Elektra was murdered by Bullseye, and either begin by portraying Matt from when he was a child (who actually has to earn his skills... *ahem*), or by portraying him as a somewhat-rational, compassionate, decent adult human being.

And then, have things happen, and have the PTSD begin.

Please?

Showing who he is before the trauma, then showing the trauma, then showing who he is after the trauma, shows the audience a strong, but flawed and tragic, figure, deserving of respect and sympathy. As opposed to a sadist who deserves no respect whatsoever, who audiences can't root for (and therefore have no reason to want to watch).

Or, flashbacks would be ok too. Smile If they show somebody decent, and mentally super-strong, but still relatable. And if they reveal the traumas that led to who he is today.

All of this is, of course, assuming that the writers intend to show DD as he is today in the comics at all. Which it does sound like they're planning to do, from what you quoted. Or maybe they're planning to put "The Man Without Fear" (the Miller origin story) on film, and portray him as he's portrayed in that story - that would be perfectly fine with me too. Smile

The one thing I'm afraid of, is that they will show him as he was in the Bendis/Brubaker run, without showing what all led up to it, and without showing who he used to be, before everything happened. Please don't do that, writers. Please?
Ash-n-Bone
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you cant have any of the Born Again or Bendis stuff without having some history to begin with, so I hope they start with an origin.

What I'm really anticipating is the tone for these Netflix shows. First I thought that it would be a typical family friendly Marvel series, but the more I think about it, the more I don't feel that way. The press release itself used the word "gritty", and if they really wanted to, Marvel could have neglected these particular characters and gone for some more friendly material. I'm starting to believe that these shows will come with a much more mature tone.

And I hope that we get Killgrave as the overall villain. It would make such a change to have a psychological threat as opposed to the physical threats we get from the movies.
thank god for stilt-man
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ash-n-Bone wrote:
Yeah, you cant have any of the Born Again or Bendis stuff without having some history to begin with, so I hope they start with an origin.

Yeah, before the rights defaulted, I heard a rumor that a reboot was being planned and it would be based on "Born Again". And that made no sense unless they were going to drastically alter it, or the movie would be several hours long.
thank god for stilt-man
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopes I have:

-Karen Page is more of a presence than she was in the movie.

-The origin segment is based more on Miller's "The Man Without Fear".

-They get to use the Kingpin (at some point.)
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank god for stilt-man wrote:
Hopes I have:

-Karen Page is more of a presence than she was in the movie.

-The origin segment is based more on Miller's "The Man Without Fear".

-They get to use the Kingpin (at some point.)

I think Marvel has the TV rights to Kingpin, would be hard to make a DD series without him.
Guardian-Devil
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to see an origin story but in flashbacks (maybe the yellow costume) and not just in the first episode. I want the fisrt episode to be the day Karen was hired and go on from there. I want to see a GOOD DD costume!! I don't mind an update (like the movie) but i want the DD logo in the middle of his chest and finally i would love to see Chris Pine as Matt (i know it's impossible but a man can dream)!!

ps: I would die if i see the real life version of my sign as a promo pic at some point!!
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey GD, remind me, what sign are you referencing? GD
Guardian-Devil
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh... i meant the photo in my signature.
This one

Sorry my bad!! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: