Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Awesome group of actors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ash-n-Bone
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Awesome group of actors Reply with quote

As casting announcements continue to be made, I cant help but feel that the upcoming DD series will feature the greatest group of actors ever seen in a comic book-based series.

Unlike Arrow, The Walking Dead, Gotham, or the upcoming Constantine, Daredevil brings together an assortment of movie stars, veterans, theater actors, and TV actors all of whom appear to be very committed and serious about their craft.

As DD fans we should count ourselves very lucky.

Any doubts about Charlie Cox should be answered from watching Boardwalk Empire, Roland Joffe's There Be Dragons, and the BBC film Legacy.

How are you guys feeling about the cast so far?
Guardian-Devil
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to keep my expectations low so I can be extra enthusiastic when i finally see the series!! I love Deborah Ann (True Blood fan here..) i think she is going to be great!! As far as all the other cast members haven't seen any of them in anything but reading all the comments i'm pretty confident about them!
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, have a look at "Stardust"! He buckles swash with the best of them! And against Superman no less!!!
Darediva
Wake Up

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen Charlie Cox in anything, so I'm waiting for this release to get to know him. From the panel at NYCC yesterday, he seemed to be a cheerful guy, and truly happy to meet and greet fans at the signing.

The rest of the cast look very capable of their roles. D'Nofrio will make a great Kingpin.

Looking forward to this series.

Those who throw dirt merely lose ground.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
McFly
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for anyone who is still not convinced that Charlie Cox can play "grim and gritty":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG9ciFytP8A
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, that's literally the only thing I've seen him do. It would be nice to hear him deliver dialogue.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Ash-n-Bone
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then try watching the show, its awesome. Or watch some of the other ones I listed.
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any opinions on some of the more recent casting decisions, like Bob Gunton as Owl or Ayelet Zurer as Vanessa Fisk?
Bullseye11
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fine with ayelet Zurer as Vanessa but I don't know about bob gunton as the owl. The owl is always shown as a large powerful man shaped like an owl. This guy is a skinny old man. It would make more sense if he was Eric Slaughter.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'd have preferred Slaughter, but Slaughter isn't as well known (and honestly doesn't have as much personality).

Ash-n-Bone
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to see Slaughter in this series too, and then see his character battle the Kingpin. But I think the Owl will definitely make things interesting. And Gunton is more than capable of delivering a great performance. I'm just happy that Elektra isn't in it (as we know so far). I just don't think she can exist alongside Karen Page as they represent two very distinct phases in Matts life.
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bullseye11 wrote:
I'm fine with ayelet Zurer as Vanessa but I don't know about bob gunton as the owl. The owl is always shown as a large powerful man shaped like an owl. This guy is a skinny old man. It would make more sense if he was Eric Slaughter.

I have a feeling that in this series Owl will be a composite character, containing elements from most of Kingpin's rivals/precursors over the decades.

Owl is the second most prominent and prolific crime boss DD has ever faced, with far more appearances then Eric Slaughter. Owl seems to have more of a defined personality then the other rivals Kingpin has faced. It seems like in recent years, they tried to make Owl the anti Kingpin, making far more impulsive and prone to random violence then Fisk is. It seems like this series is setting up Owl to be the crime boss that Kingpin displaces during his rise to power, playing a role similar to Alexander Bont or Don Rigoletto. Really other comic book adaption franchises have used composite characters before (Whiplash in Iron Man 2 and William Stryker in X2), so it makes sense to use one here, especially since a lot of Kingpin's rivals and precursors are redundant anyways.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I agree. To me, the Owl had two useful purposes. Either as the precursor to the Kingpin that gets displaced or as the successor if the Kingpin falls. He's filled both roles in the comics before. He's a more established character than any other name suggested, so I can't complain too loudly (as much as I'd like Slaughter). I hope he gets to wear ugly green suits, though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: