Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL: BORN AGAIN Ratings & Reviews

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> User Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  

User rating (out of 5)
74%
 74%  [ 23 ]
25%
 25%  [ 8 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 31

admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: DAREDEVIL: BORN AGAIN Ratings & Reviews Reply with quote

DAREDEVIL: BORN AGAIN

This classic tale from Frank Miller and David Mazzucchelli originally appeared in DAREDEVIL Volume 1 #227-233. It has been collected in TPB and HC forms in multiple editions.

Please submit your rating in the poll above, or give your opinion below!
Darediva
Wake Up

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Born Again definitely brought Daredevil into being a noir arc-driven book from the somewhat silly one or two issue stories of the early days. Frank Miller showed that the costume didn't make the hero in all cases.

The story has stood the test of time, for the most part, with the exception maybe of the Nuke character, whose cold war influences now seem a little dated.

Almost everyone sees this story as the one which most defines Daredevil, and Miller's shoes have been tough to fill.

5/5 since I can't give it a 4.97 for the Nuke part getting dated. It was totally on target for the early 80s.

Those who throw dirt merely lose ground.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, this is my holy grail of comicbooks. Between this and Batman: Year One, Frank Miller and David Mazzucchelli own the top 2 spots on my list of the greatest stories ever told in this medium. This is partially because I was in my early-mid teens when this stuff hit the stands. It was the truly the "right place/right time" moment for a young mind to be exposed to a period where this medium went into a crazy new territory.
In my mind, Born Again, with its theme touching on the decontruction and redefining of the superhero, offers everything that a Watchmen or a Dark Knight Returns could. I hold this in the same regard.
A must read and a must have. Your shelf would never be more prouder of you for dressing it with this one.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Born Again is the greatest arc in the history of comic books. No one has topped Mazzuchelli's rendition of Daredevil, and Miller never topped his work here. This is better than any of his Batman work. Perfection. If you have any affinity for comics as a medium, this is required reading.
Pete
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted with a 4, simply because reading it issue by issue at the time, as great as it was and remains today, the last couple of issues with Cap America and Nuke almost ruined it for me.
I love Mazz's work on this, and all the issues he did beforehand, and I love the way Miller strips everything down and we end up with Matt and Karen together, but I do prefer the initial Miller run on the book.

Treated as a whole, though, Born Again is right up there with the earlier Miller stuff, Maus, V for Vendetta etc as the best the medium has ever offered us.
fox_limbo
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This masterwork (and it certainly is that, without question) continues to be the piece that all other creative interpretations of the character(s) are judged!

The whole Nuke thing derailed it for me. And because of that, I, personally, wouldn't rate it with "Watchmen" (the be-all and end-all of superhero narratives), but it certainly comes close. It is a great, earnest exploration of the psychology of vigilantism (is that even a word?). It is a taut noir thriller that delves inside the main character's head as well as continuing to develop the secondary characters (Ben Urich and Foggy Nelson).

As exceptional as Frank Miller's writing was, the phenomonal visual work by Daivid Mazzuchelli makes this piece transcendant! His depiction of the title character, along with with the exploration of this character's deepest fundamental core, absolutely defines one Mister Matthew Murdock, esquire.

Still, all that said, the Nuke character was just absurd!

4.5 / 5
Suburban Devil
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Nuke really affected the affection I had developed for this arc leading up to his unveiling. He just seemed like the crazy villain of the day, and his "our boys" lines now seem hokey in retrospect. I also think Matt's life unravels a little too quickly at the start of the this arc, but I do enjoy it overall. 4/5.
phap
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! It's my firts post in this forum. Well, for those which still didn't have the chance to read daredevil reborn, stop everything and purchase the book, it's a masterpiece.
Crimson Cowl
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best thing Miller ever did. Absolutely fantastic.

Unlike may here I don't think the Nuke sequence has dated badly at all and seems just as relevant as it did then (maybe more so). The captain America bit is amazing -some of the best writing. Cap comes in and with his high minded idealism seems like a lunatic -he might as well be from another planet.

Full marks, no question.
thank god for stilt-man
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I'd been reading Daredevil for years before I bought a "Born Again" trade, the story is what cemented him as my favorite superhero. I gave it a five.
Belfan
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave it a 4/5, in part because of the pace at the beginning, it all happened too fast, or maybe I just didn't see it coming.

I actually liked the Nuke/ Cap stuff. The way DD describes what he "saw", especially the Thor panel was great. The way that Thor ,just putting out fires, being described as fantastical... just great writing... made me want to write that way.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this isn't really a user review, but this just came up on YouTube today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9MYjpUDgKk&t=628s
Exilestate
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still a 5 overall for me also, but I do agree bringing in Nuke to the story did hurt it a little.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> User Reviews All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: