Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Marvel Universe = Coocoo Land
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Marvel Universe = Coocoo Land Reply with quote

Sigh. And with that Marvel officially becomes ridiculous. What am I talking about? Thunderbolts. Thunderbolts? What in god's name is going on? So apparently there's gonna be a new Thunderbolts team featuring, amoung others, Venom, Bullseye and The Green Goblin. My understanding is that this "team" is going to be tasked by the government to hunt down unregistered heroes. Sigh. Where to start.

First off, the idea of Bullseye being on a team of any sort is just ridiculous. I'd say it's the most ridiculous idea of all time if it weren't for the fact that having Venom (the one who wants to eat your brains) on a team. Obviously, someone was like "let's have a team of the baddest of ass villians" and someone else went "yeah!" and someone else went "wait, you can't put those guys on a team...it's way, way out of character" and then someone else said "shut up" and they did it anyway.

The second thing is that now it's like Marvel is flaunting the ridiculousness of Civil War. See, my biggest problem with the series has always been that SUPER HEROES WERE ALWAYS ILLEGAL. Hence, the many, many scene of heroes swinging away from cops after having done a good thing. The government has always been trying to "register" heroes. Guess why they haven't succeeded? Because they're SUPER heroes. They're so powerful that they can evade whatever the government throws at them. As a counter example I've always thrown up super villians. Super villians have always been super illegal. The government has never been able to register (read: capture) them because they're super. In fact, the only people who have been successful in bringing in super villians are super heroes.

But wait? Now villians are gonna catch heroes? WHAT? This is ridiculous.

Thirdly: anyone want to make a list of the stuff Bullseye has done? I'd rather not since it'd be pretty long but one thing we know is that that list would include nun slaughtering. Now he's working for the government? Sigh.

Oh, Marvel.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jc wrote:
Obviously, someone was like "let's have a team of the baddest of ass villians" and someone else went "yeah!"

Sounds like something thirteen year olds would be discussing at a comic shop (you know, about a real boss super villain team up, forget that it's stupid and illogical), and sadly, this is the brainpower at Marvel? Again, Civil War is nothing more than an illogical (plot-wise) exercise in heroes fighting heroes. And, now this "Thunderbolt" (is the Government trademarking the name Rolling Eyes ) crap is nothing more than a "let's have a supervillain team!" exercise. Joe Quesada is a chimp.

rgj
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Villains hired to bring heroes to justice? It's nonsensical! It should be the other way around!

This proves that saying "It won't happen because it would be ridiculous/lame" is a rule that cannot be applied to the Marvel Universe.
While they're at it, they could add the "Bont-bot"/"Demo-Bont"/"whatever version of Bont returned from the grave" to the happy brigade of hired supervillains, with the specific task of hunting down Daredevil.

Right, enough of that.
But...Bullseye hired by the government.
Bullseye. The psycho who would slaughter your girl in front of you and laugh about it in your face. The cold-blooded killer who massacres nuns with forks. The lunatic who kills bystanders with glass shards just to distract the hero.
They've reached the bottom. Hope they stop in time before it gets worse.
Isaac
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's time for Marvel to move all teenagers to ultimate versions of the comics, and let the old characters grow up.
One thing I also hate about Marvel is the cross-over thing, to attract the public of one character to buy comics about the other character. Please let Daredevil out of this all.
The industry would need a change.
If it wasn't all about money...
train
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bullseye working for the US government isn't all that crazy...at least from the government side. After World War 2, US Army Intelligence (and later the CIA) hired Shiro Ishii. A Japanese microbiologist. He was a pioneer in the field of weaponized biologics and biological warfare. Some experiments included vivisection of American POW's.

It's not out of the questions that the government would hire someone like Bullseye. But JC is right....BE wouldn't be on a team. It is out of character...
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My initial reaction to this?

Oh, Marvel want their own Suicide Squad. (see Checkmate)

Oh, Marvel want their own Villains United. (see Secret 6)

Oh, Marvel want to do something like DC. (see DC)

It may be 3 reactions, but they all mean the same thing.

C.
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I question the wisdom of allowing a psychopath like Bullseye on the Thunderbolts, but every cloud has a silver lining.

The DD vs. Bullseye thing as become cliched and played out, he is overexposed in the dD universe. This the prefect chance to give Bullseye a vaction from the DD universe and allow him to fight some other villains. Why does he have fight the same psychopath over and over again, let him fight some other psycho (like Mr. Hyde). This is a good chance to let the DD mythos grow beyond DD fighting Kingpin, Bullseye and his latest psycho girlfriend, over and over again.
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulls is overexposed in DD. But, overexposing him elsewhere in the Marvel Universe doesn't help either. Civil War is total crap.

rgj
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clayton Blind Love wrote:
My initial reaction to this?

Oh, Marvel want their own Suicide Squad. (see Checkmate)

Oh, Marvel want to do something like DC. (see DC)

It may be 3 reactions, but they all mean the same thing.

C.

Well really Marvel did Villains United first, remember Acts of Vengeance?
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rgj wrote:
Bulls is overexposed in DD. But, overexposing him elsewhere in the Marvel Universe doesn't help either. Civil War is total crap.

rgj

Whatever, Bullseye is Warren Ellis's responsiblity now, it gives DD the chance to do new things in his title not just the same old stuff again and again.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clayton Blind Love wrote:

...Villains United was about the Secret Six, a group of B-to-C-list villains gathered together by Lex Luthor to fight his doppleganger who was forming the Secret Society of villains... it really has NOTHING to do with Marvel's Thunderbolts, other than the fact that it was a book centered on villains.

As others said, the very idea of Bullseye and Venom being on this team is as ridiculous as Iron Man trying to kill Captain America...

Last edited by Forrest on Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...I don't think I have ever liked post-O'Neil Bullseye, including in Nocenti's work.
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forrest wrote:
...I don't think I have ever liked post-O'Neil Bullseye, including in Nocenti's work.

I wouldn't go that far, but it does seem like the whole Bullseye vs. dD thing as been played out over the last 20 years and has gotten stale. There are other psycho villains he can fight besides old Lester.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forrest wrote:

I hate you.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
Forrest wrote:

I hate you.

Razz

Because you liked Nocenti's Bullseye? ...I can see that, but I didn't care for the weird personality switch fight. It seemed too daytime soap opera to me. ...Still, it was Nocenti... Nocenti's daytime soap opera is miles above Smith's terrible summer blockbuster that will be in the $5 DVD bin at Blockbuster 2 months after release...
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: