Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Return of Karen Page? Let's get some numbers. :D
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you want Karen to return (e.g. never have been killed)?
Yes, but only if there is a very tight story behind it.
20%
 20%  [ 6 ]
Yes, and I don't care how! :P
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
No, because there is no need to bring her back.
53%
 53%  [ 16 ]
No, only because it could not be pulled off well.
20%
 20%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 30

james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[int. Nelson and Murder. There's a knock at the door.]

Matt: I wonder who's there.

[Matt answers the door. Standing in the doorway is Karen.]

Karen: I have bird flu.

Matt: What? You have...? How is this possible?

[Just then Mysterio crashes through the window.]

Mysterio: Now do you see Murdock? I planned it all along. I payed the Kingpin and did all this nonsense so that you would think Karen was dead just so I could bring her back and make you think she had bird flu.

Matt: Make her think she has bird flu? What do you mean by that?

Mysterio: Oh...uh...she doesn't really have bird flu.

Matt: But didn't she just say she did?

Mysterio: Yeah. But, okay, look, she doesn't. I just wanted the shock. But, okay, look, she doesn't have bird flu but for a minute there you thought she did, so I win.

Matt: Win what?

Mysterio: My plan. I win, my plan okay. Ever since Spiderman did something or other I decided to change my master plan to make you think your girlfriend had AIDS and then died and then came back and had bird flu. That was my plan and now I've done it. Okay? I'm leaving.

Matt: That was your plan? All of that?

Mysterio: Yes. Yes it was.

Matt: That makes no sense.

Mysterio: Yeah, well my plan in Guardian Devil didn't make a whole lot of sense either so whatever.

[Mysterio leaves.]

Matt: What's Guardian Devil?

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course you know that she never had AIDS to begin with right? And you know that this was set up so that Matt's world would come apart. The illusion was made to add stress to Matt's life. It was the only reason why Karen went back to Matt. And in believing that she had AIDS, Karen had a responsibility to tell Matt. If she was to have the bird flu, there would be no guarantee for her to return to Matt. She wouldn't need to involve Matt. AIDS would of been the one major disease that made her return and, in fact, involve Matt to be tested and continually tested in the years to come.

C.
Pete
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor JC. Some vague recollection of Miller dissing 'continuity' used out of context by himself, and then found by KM, and he's out on the town, celebrating some kind of 'victory'. Honestly, his post touches on hysterics, intoxicated by 'sucess' Maybe if he takes the time to read and understand his own post, then place it in context with the Miller interview, he'd spill his beer. It's as if he thinks Miller himself has come riding to his rescue and proved he's right and every one else is wrong (including me, who has directly called him a liar, but more of that later.)

I've read (and understood) a lot of Miller stuff and taken in his thoughts on continuity. It's clear by his own work and his own words he hasn't got much time for it. An interesting early interview I read with him appears in the 'Daredevil Chronicles'. Put into context, here was a guy who was just really starting out on his career on a mainstream superhero title and had taken it into completely uncharted territory. Being inundated by fanboy letters asking for the return of this character/that character/ that bad guy whatever, he was asked what his answer was to people who wanted the whole run of DD to tie into some kind of seemless whole. His answer was emphatic, even for a young guy just starting out; 'forget it'. I'm probably paraphrasing him (like James), but at least this is all in context (unlike James).

Miller simply wasn't beholden to the fact that Gerry Conway did a few DD sci-fi stories .

Now, what we got here. James, your original post please.

james castle wrote:
As for everyone else who's all "dead is dead": I can't find the quote now but there's some famous interview where Frank Miller says something to the effect of "continuity is for the weak and unimaginative". I couldn't agree more.

Gee, thanks very much. Now get this. James new best buddy Frank Miller is being used here to prove his point against people who think 'dead is dead'. Right, that's proving his point to the people in this thread who think Karen P should 'stay dead'. Yep, I've read it again and I understand thats what he's saying. Frank Miller is backing James castle up on this very point in this very thread in a poll that the level headed are clearly winning. Very Happy

But hey, he's got Frank Miller on his side now!!! The tide is turning! But what's the very next thing that Miller says in the interview? If it ain't good enough for you there, he says it maybe once, twice more.

Hardly someone who's on the same 'dead is dead' don't mean a thing' wavelength as our boy James, is it now. I can just see the scene in the barroom now as the fallout begins. Miller smashes the glass over Jc's head. Glass flies everywhere. It's a typically Milleresque violent scene. 'Don't paraphrase/misquote/use me out of context again you S.O.B'.

So congratulations Jc, you managed to half-arsely remember a Miller quote about continuity, granted, You almost managed to get some of the words right, yet still can't use it to prove yer point. In fact, HIS VERY NEXT WORDS ARE CONTARY TO YOUR OWN LOGIC!!

Which is why its still officially OK to worship Frank Miller, everyone.

Next

james castle wrote:
Just for fun, why don't you back up your claim: let's have an example of when and where I lied. If it is, indeed, all there to see and "ain't going anywhere" then you should have no problem finding something to back you up. I'll be waiting

Hope you weren't waiting too long James. Hate to think we were stoping you from doing anything, umm..interesting. OK. James Castle lying. Lets see. Top of my head. That Privateer thread in Hall Of Fame about 'Live8'. Anyone who wants to wade through a thread that long, be my guest, but its there somewhere among all the vitriol. Along with your own original 'I'll be waiting' a few times if i'm not mistaken. Wait Over.

Quote:
[/Hmmm. Since Frank Miller agrees with me and you disagree with me...wait, does that mean Miller would disagree with you? I think it does.]

Many things spring to mind when reading this last sentence. but given the substance of your points, and Millers thoughts on dead characters, most of 'em just revolve along the fact that you're a bit...well, sad.

A message board can never have too many polls.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get it. Are you saying Frank Miller is in the "dead is dead" crowd? Are you somehow (and unbelievably) saying that deadness is somehow a different kind of fact that sits on some sort of uber continuity level that would escape Miller's general lack of respect for continuity? That's crazy wrong. In any case have we read Dark Knight Returns and DK2? He brings characters back just cuz (and thus still agrees with me (hence me and Frank are still sharing a drink peacefully (?)).

I know it's tough (given the nonexistence of the subject in question) but I'd still like an actual example of my lying as opposed to a vague hand wave.

In any case, you called me a liar and suggested that I had fabricated the Miller quote. I didn't.

Now, there was a thread a while ago when Pete said "I've heard it before and it wasn't funny the first time". I think I made fun of him and was like "whatever". But then Pete pointed out (quite rightly) that the line was the line that followed the line in my signature from A Killing Joke. Given that I was out smarted and that Pete had me dead to rights I admitted both and went on my happy way.

You got caught out Pete. Let's not be a sore loser.

Why aren't you laughing?
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rgj wrote:
Francesco wrote:
What would be disappointing is that an important, miliar character such as Karen would be treated superficially, like an ordinary supporting character. A character who can be killed and then resurrected as if it was nothing.

As opposed to just killing her as if it was nothing?

rgj

No! That's not what I'm saying. Only by giving a meaning to her death can writers, IMO, make justice of the error Kevin Smith did in killing her.
Don't know if I made myself clear.
Pete
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey JC, judging by your last post your intoxicated euphoric high with the finding of the Miller quote seems to have worn off, let's jaw some more. ( i don't begrudge you your euphoric high BTW, I've been kicking yer ass on this board for years Razz ) Anyway let's keep it in context and answer each others points. Yeah, I know the quote is there, I can concede at least that, but the beauty of it is in the context of this thread and it's sharp division of opinion concerning one particular character it really ain't doin' you any favors. Honestly.

james castle wrote:
I don't get it.

Look, its not rocket science. Here we are talking about Karen P and her death. Yeah, sure its Guardian Devil, written by Smith and all the baggage that brings to this particular board. But she gets killed. Should/could she be brought back?

Miller and his obvious apathy for continuity aside, just what does the guy have to say about Elektra? She's dead. Oh, did he happen to mention, she's dead. By the way, did you know she is dead. Yes, Miller brings back people 'from the dead' just because, (forget DK2 and Dark Knight and Ronin...stay within the context of this thread, this comic book). Yep, the Hand show a knack just for that kind of thing really early on, but you can't compare the likes of Kirigi with Elektra in the scheme of things in Matts life. In fact who can you compare her too? She was Matts partner, was once deeply in love with him, plays a decisive part in his life, returns into that very life after many years and eventually gets murdered, killed by the hand of his deadliest enemy. Guy named Bullseye. And Miller says shes dead. Good enough for me.

Who on Gods earth could compare? Who? Karen P? Star of this very thread? Centre of the debate between stay killed or never was killed/resurrection/ blah blah? Well, I suppose she was Matts partner, was once deeply in love with him, played a decisive part in his life, returned into that very life after many years and eventually got murdered, killed by the hand of his deadliest enemy. Guy named Bullseye. And I and many others on this thread, like Miller with Elektra, say 'dead is dead'.

So yeah, your quote is there, but look and your original para where you first brought it up and the reason you bring it up and it does jack to back your case. But yea, James, your quote does exist.

Now for your downright dirty filthy lyin'!

Quote:
I know it's tough (given the nonexistence of the subject in question) but I'd still like an actual example of my lying as opposed to a vague hand wave.

I'd have honestly thought that on a message board with, what thousands of messages in hundreds of threads, me giving an actual example of one particular thread wasn't too bad. C'mon James, we both know you were lying through your teeth through that one, especially the 'private message' thing. I say as much myself at the time, I think.

I give you this example only because you ask for it. I'd actually rather look to the future than the past, believe it or not. But a possible failing of mine amidst the many, many positive attributes Wink is that having someone lie once makes me wonder if their ever really genuine. Isn't it called The Boy Who Cried Wolf?

Quote:

Win? Lose? It's a frickin' message board. Wrong? yep, about the quote. Right? yes about the whole Karen thing.

Right? Wrong? Win? Lose? Most agree with me? Most don't? Not on a thread in the MWOF message board. Not unless we wanted to maybe 'measure' opinion. Not unless someone, say Forrest, started something like a poll specifically designed to get 'the numbers' down.

Now where do I find me one'a those?
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete wrote:
Hey JC, judging by your last post your intoxicated euphoric high with the finding of the Miller quote seems to have worn off, let's jaw some more. ( i don't begrudge you your euphoric high BTW, I've been kicking yer ass on this board for years Razz ) Anyway let's keep it in context and answer each others points. Yeah, I know the quote is there, I can concede at least that, but the beauty of it is in the context of this thread and it's sharp division of opinion concerning one particular character it really ain't doin' you any favors. Honestly.

Context of the thread? You can't be serious. First off, my quote from Miller lands squarely within the "context of the thread". One of the main complaints against bringing Karen back (brought up in this thread) is that it would mess up continuity; that it wouldn't make sense. My response (and the one I used Miller for back up on) was and is "who cares?". Go look at my first post on this thread. I say Karen should just walk back in the door.

I've always been talking about Karen. I've just been talking about continuity while I do it.

Pete wrote:

james castle wrote:
I don't get it.

Look, its not rocket science. Here we are talking about Karen P and her death. Yeah, sure its Guardian Devil, written by Smith and all the baggage that brings to this particular board. But she gets killed. Should/could she be brought back?

Miller and his obvious apathy for continuity aside, just what does the guy have to say about Elektra? She's dead. Oh, did he happen to mention, she's dead. By the way, did you know she is dead. Yes, Miller brings back people 'from the dead' just because, (forget DK2 and Dark Knight and Ronin...stay within the context of this thread, this comic book). Yep, the Hand show a knack just for that kind of thing really early on, but you can't compare the likes of Kirigi with Elektra in the scheme of things in Matts life. In fact who can you compare her too? She was Matts partner, was once deeply in love with him, plays a decisive part in his life, returns into that very life after many years and eventually gets murdered, killed by the hand of his deadliest enemy. Guy named Bullseye. And Miller says shes dead. Good enough for me.

Who on Gods earth could compare? Who? Karen P? Star of this very thread? Centre of the debate between stay killed or never was killed/resurrection/ blah blah? Well, I suppose she was Matts partner, was once deeply in love with him, played a decisive part in his life, returned into that very life after many years and eventually got murdered, killed by the hand of his deadliest enemy. Guy named Bullseye. And I and many others on this thread, like Miller with Elektra, say 'dead is dead'.

Haha. What a pathetic back peddle. Okay, so only hyper specific arguments about DD (and more specifically Karen) are allowed. Get real. Even a child could see that your little song and dance is nothing more than a sad attempt to muddy the waters by arguing about what we're arguing about as oppsed to just having at it. Sad.

Pete wrote:

So yeah, your quote is there, but look and your original para where you first brought it up and the reason you bring it up and it does jack to back your case. But yea, James, your quote does exist.

Oh, so now it's "yeah, your quote is there". What happened to the "James is a liar and made the whole thing up"? Who cares why I brought it up (even though it's insanely obvious that I brought it up on point and in context)? You specifically called me a liar, then KM backed me up and now you're trying to pretend you were really just saying something about the context in which I brought it up. You didn't mention context before the quote was verified. You just called me a liar. This isn't about "context" and no amount of worming around can make it about context. "Context" is your sad little red herring designed to draw attention away from the fact that you squarely called me a liar and then got caught out. This crappy double speak about context can't change that.

Pete wrote:

Now for your downright dirty filthy lyin'!

Quote:

I'd have honestly thought that on a message board with, what thousands of messages in hundreds of threads, me giving an actual example of one particular thread wasn't too bad. C'mon James, we both know you were lying through your teeth through that one, especially the 'private message' thing. I say as much myself at the time, I think.

I went through that thread. No lies. Some truly hilarious jokes about your wife but no lies. How does the private message thing amount to lying? I message you and say "let's just leave each other alone" you say "piss off, no deal", I keep responding to you. Where's the lie? Now, maybe you consider some of the wife stuff a lie. Like, I haven't seen her lately so I don't know if I really would take to (or on) an island but me guessing that I might isn't a lie, it's just a guess.

Pete wrote:

I give you this example only because you ask for it. I'd actually rather look to the future than the past, believe it or not. But a possible failing of mine amidst the many, many positive attributes Wink is that having someone lie once makes me wonder if their ever really genuine. Isn't it called The Boy Who Cried Wolf?

What example? You still haven't given an example.

Pete wrote:

Quote:

Win? Lose? It's a frickin' message board. Wrong? yep, about the quote. Right? yes about the whole Karen thing.

Right? Wrong? Win? Lose? Most agree with me? Most don't? Not on a thread in the MWOF message board. Not unless we wanted to maybe 'measure' opinion. Not unless someone, say Forrest, started something like a poll specifically designed to get 'the numbers' down.

Now where do I find me one'a those?

The "lose" I was referring to (and obviously very specifically referring to) was the "oh snap, the quote exists" thing. Look, you came out and point blank said I was a liar and that I'd made up the quote. Quote materializes. You lose.

No amount of trying to change the "real" subject of debate can change that.

And if this really is just a message board why are you going so far out of your way to try to complicate the fact that you were so very, very wrong about the quote?

Again, another truly pathetic argument with Pete.

Give my love to the Mrs.

Why aren't you laughing?
Stanley
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KM, I vote that whenever you have to lock this thread...which seems to be an inevitability, whether it's me or not that brings it--we just immediately stick this bad boy in the hall of fame.

(Pete and JC often lock up with each other. I wonder why I've never tangled with either. Not that I want to, but after 3 or 4 years, you'd just think percentages would catch up.)
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If KM decides to lock anything, perhaps it should be jc and Pete (this thread only, of course), because this thread is damn interesting and it's obvious that Pete and jc have some unfinished business here. Now, don't get me wrong, I'd love to continue reading the back and forth jc and Pete have going (it's damn interesting too!), but I hope this thread isn't locked. Let it die on it's own until it's only Pete and jc going at it (always good stuff) and when they're tired of the whole thing, then it can go into the Hall of Fame, as Stanley suggested.

rgj
fox_limbo
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a Hall of Fame? Confused
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez, you guys sure love to get sophisticated.
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, just a few pages back I spotted this:

Quote:
This could fill in any number of holes, including why Elektra thought she was gathering the "Murdock Papers," after Born Again, Urich's fairly spineless nature in the Murdock Papers, etc.

Fairly spineless? Are you crazy [friendly tone intended]?!? That filthy FBI director had threatened to separate him from his sons and wife if I recall correctly!
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stanley wrote:

(Pete and JC often lock up with each other. I wonder why I've never tangled with either. Not that I want to, but after 3 or 4 years, you'd just think percentages would catch up.)

Hey, you wanna rumble, just say something silly (or call me out directly as Pete did in this thread).

That said, I imagine most people have heard enough of me and Pete for one thread so I bow out and return you to your regularly scheduled topic:

Comon, everyone at least has to admit that it'd be cool if Miller wrote Karen Lives Again.

Why aren't you laughing?
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the God damn Karen Page! Want a rat sandwich? Yum. Laughing

C.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francesco wrote:
Anyway, just a few pages back I spotted this:

Quote:
This could fill in any number of holes, including why Elektra thought she was gathering the "Murdock Papers," after Born Again, Urich's fairly spineless nature in the Murdock Papers, etc.

Fairly spineless? Are you crazy [friendly tone intended]?!? That filthy FBI director had threatened to separate him from his sons and wife if I recall correctly!

I do see your point and I don't entire disagree with you. Bendis did go to lengths to show that Urich is traumatized by his past, etc. Still, many of us readers felt that his behavior near the end of the arc was quite uncharacteristic, particularly his lack of ingenuity and backbone, relative to what we had seen from him over the past few years. (E.g. see Out, the first Pulse arc, etc.) The most striking question is why did he cooperate so completely with ratting out the Night Nurse's location? He definitely had the ability to deny his knowledge of her location, claim that she moves shop constantly and lead the FBI to the wrong location a few times, etc.

Last edited by Forrest on Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: