Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Return of Karen Page? Let's get some numbers. :D
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you want Karen to return (e.g. never have been killed)?
Yes, but only if there is a very tight story behind it.
20%
 20%  [ 6 ]
Yes, and I don't care how! :P
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
No, because there is no need to bring her back.
53%
 53%  [ 16 ]
No, only because it could not be pulled off well.
20%
 20%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 30

Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Return of Karen Page? Let's get some numbers. :D Reply with quote

...I'm curious where we stand on this % wise and because we haven't had a poll in a while. Very Happy
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, I answered "Yes, and I don't care how."

Sure, I'd like a tight story, and with Brubaker, I am guarenteed to get one, but if she came back in a single issue with a sparse explaination, I'd get over the poor storytelling the very next month, when I read DD with Karen in it. Very Happy
Pete
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A message board can never have too many polls Wink

Well, I like DD stories with Karen in. She's a great character full of depth. Forget Elektra, the Widow, Milla. Karen is the love of his life.

But if I want to read a story with her in, I've got the back issues.

She's dead. Killed by Bullseye. If she came back now it would be dumb.
Lundonj
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Bucky can return in a cool story, anyone can.

I thought Karen's demise was an empty one, at best. While I don't have to have her back by any means, if it fit in an excellent story, I would certainly accept it.

-Don
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said "No, as in no need to bring her back."

New stories told in past tense can address Karen Page. Like Daredevil: Yellow.

However, if they go the route of Cult of Conner (52) and bring her back with a paper face and body of straw, then I'm all for it. Wink

I join the Cult of Karen then. Until then, ... you're freaks! Razz

C.
Blind Alley
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see a good way to bring her back.

Her death was not a great story but her return would be worse.

Imagining some plots :
- It was a skrull, like the Alicia who married Johnny Storm
- Scarlet Witch reappears and says : "No more dead Karen..."
- the Phoenix Force decides to change from redheads to blondes...
- Iron Man had cloned her
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said "Yes, and I don't care how! Razz"

She's a cool and important character who died a poorly written and pointless death. Someone please explain to me what the hell the AIDS scare was about again?

As for her return, I couldn't care less about whatever" device brings her back. I heard some interviewed with Joss where he was talking about how Colossus came back and he said something like "all that mattered was the moment with Kitty, everything else just had to get them there". I think that's right. If there's a good enough moment I don't care what the backstory is.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Stanley
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blind Alley wrote:
I don't see a good way to bring her back.

Her death was not a great story but her return would be worse.

Just because you can't imagine a good way of doing things doesn't mean you shouldn't hope for them. For instance, I can't imagine how a busload of hot women, all very attractive to me, would break down outside my house just in time for me to save the day. Sure there are logistical questions ("what kind of women?" "how many?" etc.), but come on...it costs nothing to hope.

Foisting your own negativity or lack of creativity on an art form paid to be creative probably isn't the most intelligent thing.

People who voted no: Quit saying there's not a good way to do it. You're a reader, not a writer. Quit saying "the story would be worse". You don't know; you're a reader, not a writer. Closing your mind and forming an opinion before seeing ANY SUBSTANTIVE WORK is exactly why you're a reader. Not a writer.

See, I don't know if her return would be good or not. But son of a bitch, do I want to find out.

I really could understand if someone said, "No. I hate Karen and I just don't think she's a good character." I really could. I'd disagree with you, but that's the ultimate "your opinion". It really does depend on how she hits you. But this "it'll suck" crap? That's not your opinion. That's your fault.

I vote the strongest yes there is. And I also hope someone with some freaking pull at Marvel is reading.

...But I'm not holding my breath.
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel and voted exactly as Stanley did. That's some brilliant stuff, Stan.

Stanley wrote:
I vote the strongest yes there is. And I also hope someone with some freaking pull at Marvel is reading.

Well, we know that they do visit the site. But, I fear, the only thing that may be pulled is Joey Q.'s hammy, as he runs to his next meal (love those enchiladas!).

rgj
Solid Snake PAC
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horrible death or not. She's dead. I would really hate seeing her come back. Bucky's death was known. but was still pretty vague in terms of storytelling. Karen was a full blown billyclub to the chest. And how would you bring her back? Mysticism? It worked with Elektra cuz she was part of that world with the Hand. YES, people have come back from the dead...but some of it was handled in a way that could be believed. Phoenix sure, i can handle it. Bucky, yeah...his death while known had alot of vagueness if you compare it to tales of today. hell Cap...supposedly died..but was frozen. Karen...tell me fellow DD fans, how could someone bring her back to a present setting. True love or not...the girl is dead. Most average humans in the Marvel Uni. stay dead. Heaven forbid Uncle Ben come back...
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted no, because there's no need to.

I agree that her death was somehow pointless and maybe not well written (yet, her pointless death is what makes her demise even more dramatic, in a certain sense). But there's really no need to bring her back.
That the story can perfectly go on with Matt going forward with his life, keeping the memory of her at his side.
Steve Roberts
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, is my answer, don't bring Karen back at all!
How rubbish would that be? Rolling Eyes
When her death appeared, it was shocking, but brilliant, and it would only cheapen the affect to bring her back again.
Short but sweet............NO!!!!!!
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blind Alley wrote:
Imagining some plots :
[. . .]
- Scarlet Witch reappears and says : "No more dead Karen..."

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Funny!

rgj wrote:
But, I fear, the only thing that may be pulled is Joey Q.'s hammy, as he runs to his next meal (love those enchiladas!).

rgj

rgj, if you and JoeQ ever met, would it be something like an encounter between Bill O'Reilly and Al Franken?
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that the return of non-super powered people is not unheard of in comics, nor are the comics inherantly worse off for it.

Aunt May died - I never read this story, so I don't know if she actually died, or if it was a clone, etc. In either case, I doubt many spidey fans today would say they regret her return.

Green Arrow died - ...in this case, he actually did die and then return. I haven't read these stories, either, but I LOVE Meltzer and Winick's Green Arrow, which I wouldn't have if he was still dead...

Admittedly, the return of Jason Todd (2nd Robin) was a little silly in its mechanics, and I wouldn't want to see something like that in DD.

I guess my poll question should be "what if we found out that Karen was never killed in Guardian Devil?"

The body? The world already a body for Matt Murdock, once, but that didn't keep him dead.

In issue #65, why didn't Dr. Strange know Karen had died, when he was appearently at the funeral? This might be a great gateway into some crazy mystical forces, combined with Mysterio's trickery. (Sure, I don't like a lot crazy magic and such in DD, but how else would one return to a story like Guardian Devil. Also, I think Nocenti did a fine job with such topics in her voodoo and Hell stories.)

All I'm saying is there are options. And like other books (Spidey, Green Arrow, etc.), the return of a non-powered human can really bring back elements of a book lost in a shallow marketing ploy.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forrest wrote:
In issue #65, why didn't Dr. Strange know Karen had died, when he was appearently at the funeral?

Hey, while we're at it, we could correct another Bendis mistake, the biggie:

Elektra thought that she helped collect the "Murdock Papers" after Born Again.

What if there is a doppleganger Elektra who actually showed up in Murdock Papers? (Come on, ninja magic!) She's been running around since the begining of volume 2. She's messing with Matt slowly because she's insane, etc. She was behind Karen's fake death, almost killing Foggy, etc.

Sure, it sounds silly, but I think with the right execution, that could be really fun.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: