Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Radar vindication from Brubaker

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Radar vindication from Brubaker Reply with quote

Ed Brubaker wrote:
“And just to satisfy the three people online who will tell me that I'm retarded and that he should have been able to tell that Foggy's body wasn't in the coffin, you're crazy. That's not how his radar sense works. He can't tell the difference between one corpse that's filled with embalming fluid and inside a coffin and another one.”

After the issue which had Matt attend Foggy's funeral I made a comment that "something" had to have been in the coffin because Matt's radar would pick it up. I can't recall who, but they said I was "wrong" (imagine that!) and that the radar cannot penertrate the coffin. Well, guess what, (at least according to Bru) I wasn't.

I find Bru's comments about the sense of smell interesting and I have no argument there (I had no issues about Matt being able to smell Foggy's body). Bru states that Matt can't distinguish the odor of a body that has alredy been emblamed. Now, I know that Matt can sift though different sensations (ie. smells), he does have that power of concentation. I guess in the end a writer can have it both ways depending how he needed the arc to go. If need be, Matt might be able to cut though the embalming smell. But, it wasn't needed here. Now, some might say, does a person retain their distinct odor if they are dead. Well, I don't know, but I know dogs can find a dead, nude body in the forrest based on scent. But, again no protests here. My point back then was the radar and Bru backed me up.

But, this opens a whole new can of worms for Brubaker. Bru is saying there was, indeed, and logically since Matt was fooled, a body in the casket. The thing is, why didn't they have an open casket funeral? Didn't someone (ie. Fog's mother) have to identify the body. They just don't throw funerals without id's. Why didn't Foggy's family see his body? (they were sure he was dead in the story). Intersting.

rgj

p.s. someone could have put some of Foggys clothes on the corpse to reinforce Matt thinking it was Foggy. Just a little assist.
Blind Alley
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To fool Foggy's mother, a LMD (Life Model Decoy) from the shield might do the trick.
In that instance, it would be a DMD (Death Model Decoy) !

I was glad to read from Bru that the radar could not penetrate the casket, I've been thinking so.
And it's also nice to see that DD won't be too involved in Civil War.
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Bendis would've wrapped this with a plain and simple: "They used a technology capable of making his radar sense believe that it was actually Foggy's real corpse".
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have been wondering why the funeral wasn't an open casket funeral. Out of all the funerals I've been to in my life, only one has been closed casket. Lark clearly showed Foggy being stabbed in the torso. I'm curious to find out how Alton Lennox or whoever pulled off this funeral stunt. And rgj, you brought up an excellent point about somebody having to identify the body.

By the way, if you read the quote from Brubaker again, he never said the radar couldn't penetrate the coffin. He said that Daredevil couldn't tell the difference between one embalmed corpse in a coffin and another embalmed corpse in a coffin. I fully believe Daredevil's radar sense can penetrate a coffin, but you might be able to fool him with corpses, since they don't have a unique pulse or pheremones etc. All you need to do is find a dead guy with the same build as Foggy.

But I'm still interested to find out how Mr. or Ms. Whoever pulled all this off.
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too think DD's radar can penetrate the casket, since his radar acts like sonar too. I thought Bru meant that his radar cannot distinguish the difference of the corpse his radar picks up. I really thought he meant it could penetrate the casket. I guess Bru can't always be right (if he meant the radar can't penetrate) Wink . In the past, his radar has been shown to penetrate solid objects like walls and work underwater.

rgj
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: