Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Creators on the Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The off-topic section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Creators on the Board Reply with quote

Everyone loves when creators drop by and say a few things on the board. That said...has anyone else found the last two drop bys a little suspect. Like, first Bru drops by and he's like "hey, everyone let's buy Iron Fist!". Which is, you know, okay. Maybe he wants us to buy Iron Fist. But then, all the sudden, within, like, a week Mack drops in and says "hey everybody, let's buy my books".

Maybe it's just me but both post stike me as odd. Firstly, they're not very substantive. Like, there's no real chat about DD or whatever's being discussed. Second, they're straight up marketting pitches. Bru says "check out Iron Fist" and then tosses in "hey, and have a look at criminal too". Mack's is the same only a little wackier. He say (and this is a direct quote this time) "hope you are ejoying the current KABUKI: THE ALCHEMY from Marvel's ICON". Why in god's name is he name checking the imprint?

Am I all on my own on this? I find the tone, content and timing of these posts highly suspect. I wouldn't be surprised if they were little more than some new marketing thing from Marvel. Anyone go to any other boards and notice creators popping up to push their books?

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Darediva
Wake Up

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they do this all the time, JC. Marketing ploy? Sure it is. After all, these guys make their living by people like us buying what they write/draw. I have no problem with it. Almost all the creators have their own board/website where they talk to the fans, and that discussion is not limited to just comics many times. Never been to Jinxworld and looked at all the creators with boards there?

Now, if you order quickly, you can get a custom-made Braille tshirt from me at www.brailletshirts.com in time for Christmas. Sorry, KM. Couldn't resist. Cool

Those who throw dirt merely lose ground.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What? People make money doing things? I'm shocked!

First off, Jinxworld is an entirely different thing since it's actually a creator's board.

Second, what I'm actually suggesting is that the posters who dropped by this board recently weren't even Bru or Mack. That is, that some Marvel marketing monkey is just going around dropping these messages on fan boards. Both post just seem so off to me.

Obviously Alice doesn't agree (though she also doesn't seem to think there's a very important difference between marketing in general and a marketing ploy). Doesn't anyone thing these posts are weird?

Why aren't you laughing?
Darediva
Wake Up

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea if that was really Ed Brubaker or not, but I would bet that was David Mack posting on his own behalf. I've seen him post similar things elsewhere, and this rings true because he always thanks his readers. He does care what people think about his work, and goes out of his way to get feedback from the fans. He also works tirelessly to promote his work. If no one knows about it, no one buys it, right? Kabuki is his creator-owned title, and as such is published under the Marvel Icon label. Since that is fairly new, I think it makes sense to reinforce the recognition of the line. Help the fans know where to look, you know?

So, yeah, I'm sure that was David posting. I don't find it odd at all, considering this is the time of year people are picking up series trades for Christmas for gifts.

Those who throw dirt merely lose ground.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if it isn't Mack, I know someone who's fallen for the marketing hook line and sinker.

Why aren't you laughing?
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I don't like it is that they seem to stop just to promote products. While they're at it, they could show some appreciation to the board by posting some of their thoughts, some opinions.
I'm not saying that they should participate actively to the running discussions. Even if they stopped by to drop just a line or two it would be okay.

Quote:
That is, that some Marvel marketing monkey is just going around dropping these messages on fan boards. Both post just seem so off to me.

Nah, I don't think so. It wouldn't even be worth the effort.
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, Kuljit has locked that topic, but I was the first to reply to Brubaker. So I think that I should clarify something.
With my two lines of a reply I wanted to tell Brubaker that, I appreciate his work on DD and Iron Fist, and his way of narrating makes me like him more than any other present comic writer.

But---

I wanted to suggest him that it may also be a bit disappointing for fans in a message board to see creators opening topics that contain just mere promotions of their works.

I had no intention to make useless criticism. I did it only because it's not the first time it happens. And everytime it happened I always felt a bit disappointed, and I clearly wasn't the only one.

Sure, others may disagree with me (which they did, in the same topic, and I have no problem with that).

Besides that-- Am I honored that Bru posts in the boards? Of course I am. I mean, he's Brubaker for chrissake.
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's a big deal if these guys promote their stuff, heck, KM is nice enough to promote stuff for them. But, I do think the Off Topic section is the place for it.

As for paticipation? Bendis didn't do much (but, we all know he loved and read this board--a wonderful compliment to KM, who does a tremedous job championing and promoting Daredevil) and Brubaker has posted consistantly when we review the current issue.
I could care less if a creator posts on the board or not (for heaven's sake, if you really want to talk with them, most of them have there own board), but it IS cool that they read our stuff. I know, if I were a wrtier or artist, I would want to read message boards just to get an idea of what people out there are thinking.

Bru usually chimes in when he takes exception to some critique about his work (and that is his right), and it is cool to read what he has to say when defending himself. And, KM is right about watching the insults.

I know that I call Joey Q a monkey on a regular basis, but if Joey Q were posting (which he has, amazingly to promote stuff too), I would not engage him in a combative manner. If not out of respect for Joey Q, then definitley out of respect for KM.

rgj
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually held back from saying anything mean to Joey Q. On one hand we should "respect" him. On the other hand, he's a public figure who's constantly on the verge of screwing DD up beyond all recognition. Plus, he's an idiot. Sigh, but even I held back.

More exciting is that Steve has (predictably) turned on Bru. At this point Steve seems to have disliked every DD writer for the last 2 decades. Remind me again how he even calls himself a fan?

He obviously likes disliking DD writers more than he could possibly like DD.

Why aren't you laughing?
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
More exciting is that Steve has (predictably) turned on Bru. At this point Steve seems to have disliked every DD writer for the last 2 decades.

Stephen has turned on Brubaker's DD?

...and here I was enjoying reading positive posts from him. Razz
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevermind, I saw Stephan's post that your were referring to.

I can say this, if I ever spontaneously quit posting online (any board), a potential reason would be that I got a job in comics. Razz
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I could care less if a creator posts on the board or not (for heaven's sake, if you really want to talk with them, most of them have there own board), but it IS cool that they read our stuff.

Wait a minute, rgj. I can agree with everything you say, except what's between the parenthesys (sp?). A creator cannot just come in a board to advertise and then justify himself with the philosophy: "Oh, if you want to talk with me visit my boards, cause I only care to visit other boards to drop self-promotions".
Or better --he could do this--. But would you appreciate it? I wouldn't.
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, to be fair, Bru has done more than just advertise. He has discussed each issue with the board. So, we can cut him some slack. And, really, if KM is fine with these DD creators posting advertisements on the Off Topic section, who are we to argue. If you don't like it, just ingore it, as Bru said. Besides, first we're banning writer's advertisements, then what?? NFL Prognostication Challenge threads!? Sorry, Francesco. Brubaker, have at it!

rgj
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So, we can cut him some slack.

But in fact that's what we all (well, most of us) did.

Quote:
And, really, if KM is fine with these DD creators posting advertisements on the Off Topic section, who are we to argue. If you don't like it, just ingore it, as Bru said.

Like it, don't like it, go on their boards, KM decides and we cannot argue...bah. From my point of view, we're just discussing about "creators on the boards" in friendship, nothing more.

Quote:
Besides, first we're banning writer's advertisements, then what?? NFL Prognostication Challenge threads!? Sorry, Francesco. Brubaker, have at it!

But I'm not saying that such threads should be banned. That would be an exaggeration. I'm saying that I don't like it when creators do it. And I felt I had to tell Brubaker. Nothing more than this.
MercifulAvatar
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rgj wrote:
I know that I call Joey Q a monkey on a regular basis...

I take the strongest possible exception to that comparison; monkeys, in general, are a good deal less destructive to things I love.

Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The off-topic section All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: