Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

This has been a bad week for me
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The off-topic section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darediva
Wake Up

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: This has been a bad week for me Reply with quote

Two reasons:

1) My mother died.

2) The Virginia Tech massacre. I am a Hokie.

Those who throw dirt merely lose ground.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My condolences Alice, both for your mother and any losses you felt this week from Virginia. Take good care of yourself.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to hear the bad news, Alice. I don't know what to say other than I feel for you...

Take care!
Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My condolences Alice.
Neilan
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although it’s difficult to cope when one’s heart weighs so heavily, know that others share in your sadness and wish you the strength to get through your sorrow. Hang in there.
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were there, I'd give you a warm hug.
Take care.
Meador
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alice my sympathies and prayers go out to you. I am very sorry to hear of your personal loss and the horrible incidents that have taken place.
Be sure and take care of yourself.
Eric
fox_limbo
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Alice,

I'm sorry to hear of the difficulties you have faced. The loss of your mother and the situation at Virginia Tech. Yeah, I'd say that would definately make for a rough week.

Lossing a parent, no matter what circumstances (illness, cancer, accidental death, etc.) it can be a very trying ordeal to work through. Anytime a(n immediate) family foundation is shaken (be it by divorce, tragedy, outstanding personal grievences, or in your case, Alice, a death), your world is rattled.

I, myself, had lost my father a couple of years ago. We weren't too close growing up (my mom and him had gotten a divorce when I was two years old; and I saw him, at best, once a year). When I went to college, we got closer. We spent more time together. After I graduated from college and I bounced around trying to find my place, he was diagnosed with prostate cancer (the same thing that nailed my uncle, his brother) and he pretty much gave up. He was always a drinker, but after being diagnosed, he drank HARD (and that's saying quite a lot, given how he would drink from the moment he got out of bed until the moment he passed out at night prior to his diagnosis). I finally got a job, but he called me, asking me to come visit him. He sounded terrible, and I knew it wasn't long. I told him I could not until the end of the summer. It was busy at work and they would not allow anyone to take any vacation time. I told him I'd visit him after summer, planning on some time in August. He passed away at the end of July. I never got the chance to say good bye, and to this day that still bothers me.

I cannot say I empathize with you, Alice, because we all experience things differently, making it virtually impossible to completely understand what one is going through. I cannot empathize, but I can sympathize. Given my own struggles with my father (and other) deaths I've had to endure, I can understand your pain, your helplessness, your numbness, your anger, all of that; at least to one extent or another.

Death can be a difficult thing to face. It sobers us and reminds us of our own mortality. But it should also be a celebration of who that person was and what they meant to our lives, and with knowing them, for however short a time as we have, how they helped us become the people we are.

You appear to be a great person, Alice. With that, I'm sure your mother was just as wonderful.

The Virginia Tech episode was horrendous and it illustrates the escelating violence in our society (and in the world as a whole). As sobering as a loved ones' death is, this is just as sobering on a broader scale, but it doesn't make it any less potent. And for the people that are tied close to the situation (and like you, are a Virginia Tech Hokie, past or present), it makes what had happened all the more vivid and dispicable.

The thing that got me the most was after all the speaches, the eulagies and all the Presidential propaganda hoopla, what touched me the most was the (to me) transcendent battlecry of "Let's go Hokies!". It was powerful and triumphant. That moment was transcenent because it represented hope in the face of shattered lives. It represented resistance to one person's violent and hellish acts of (quote, unquote) "martyrdom". We are going to stand together and move on and, hopefully, take this and make us stronger as individuals and as a societal whole.

There may be times, Alice, where you feel alone. Where you feel you are fighting the war entirely on your own. BUt, rest assured, you are not alone. People do not exist in a vaccuum (as the morally decrepit gunman at Virginia Tech showed us, he name does not come to mind, off-hand, just as it shouldn't... that bastard isn't going live in infamy in my head). There are family and friends and other Virginia Tech Hokies (and, given this thread here, the message board community at Kuljit's manwithoutfear.com) are all standing by you.

I hope my rambling does not offend (and that it does not come off as saying, "look at me! look at me! I can write a large posts on something other than talking about Daredevil comic books!"). But these were just a couple of thoughts I had.

Be well. Be kind.

Take care of yourself, Alice.

You are not alone.
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fox_limbo wrote:

I hope my rambling does not offend (and that it does not come off as saying, "look at me! look at me! I can write a large posts on something other than talking about Daredevil comic books!").

Well, Fox. I think that if we really couldn't write large posts on anything other than talking about comic books, including our emotions, our feelings... we could as well throw ourselves in the trash right away.
the truebeliever
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so sorry to hear about your lose. I know the pain of losing a family member. Maybe but not my parents but I know how it feels. I've lost Grandparents, cousins, aunts and uncles. I truly can't tell you how bad I feel. It was a tough week for everybody, or at least that's how it felt. Virginia Tech was a big thing and everytime I think about it angers me. All you can do is pray.
EightiesCartoon
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My condolences, Alice.
Sending a big hug out to you mate.

Take care of yourself.
Darediva
Wake Up

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, everyone for your kind thoughts. I have a lot of catching up to do now, and will see you around the boards.

Those who throw dirt merely lose ground.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
mhs_111
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to hear about your mom, Alice.
My condolescenes for your loss.

"...I don't have sixth sense
I just don't have the fifth."~Virge
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I echo everyones sentiments. Wishing you well Alice.

rgj
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am really sorry to hear about this Alice. My prayers are with you.

C.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The off-topic section All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: