Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Free Comic Book Day - How was yours?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The off-topic section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neilan
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Free Comic Book Day - How was yours? Reply with quote

What a cool day! I woke up with a 102 degree fever but still went with my 8 yr old daughter to the LCS where I scored a slew of Archie’s for my 14 yr old at 40% off. For myself, I only got the last issue of The Authority that I needed before I start reading Stormwatch/Authority and now Planetary (I picked up the 1st 2 trades) and in keeping with the Archie motif picked up Archie Meets the Punisher. I don’t really care about the story. The cover and the idea alone, keep me chuckling. We then went to a different store about ½ hour away where they were having a 50% off sale!. I went a little nuts. First, I tracked down a half dozen Wolverine issues. I know a lot of people on the board have spoken poorly of this title, and I believe what they’ve said, but I want to know what his whole story is, once and for all, and besides, I’ve got too much invested in the collection at this point not to get the complete set. I also bought Vols 2-6 of Invisibles (based on JC’s recommendation), Vols 2-3 of Swamp Thing (can’t go wrong with Alan Moore), 3 volumes of Universe/Paradise X and a few more. Oh and I mistakenly bought 2 copies of Planetary Vol. 2 because they had completely different covers and I didn’t realize. I felt like an idiot when I got home and saw this, but I rationalized it by telling myself it’s just like paying full price for 1 copy and I’ll try selling one at the next yard sale. While we were waiting in an incredibly long line to check out (for about 35 minutes) my daughter spied a brand new bust (at 20% off) of Mad Eye Moody from the 4th Harry Potter movie, which will be the perfect gift for my other daughter whose birthday is next week. She’s been a gigantic HP fan since she was 5 or 6. I guess I’ll be brown bagging it to work for a while. There seemed to be more free books than I remember getting in the past, but I usually go a lot later in the day. Free Comic Book Day. What a concept.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whiteout #1 by Greg Rucka --> Shocked Shocked Shocked

The more I read from this guy, the more I'm in love. :p Seriously, he's quickly becoming my favorite writer, even beating out Brubaker ...but still behind Geoff Johns because honestly I don't know if it's even possible to beat Geoff Johns. Cool
Neilan
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forrest wrote:
Whiteout #1 by Greg Rucka --> Shocked Shocked Shocked

Ironically, that's the only free comic that I've gotten around to reading, so far. It was pretty good. It succeeded in making me consider picking up the trade. I thought that the lack of color would bother me, but black & white (mostly white) fits this story perfectly.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I will definitely be picking up Whiteout in trade. Oni is releasing a new definitive edition TPB, this summer. Also, there is a Whiteout movie in production.

I actually appreciate the black and white look when it comes to more realistic comic stories (e.g. Whiteout, versus less realistic stories like superhero and sci-fi comics). Considering coloring technology and technique is the most dynamic aspect of the comic industry, black and white art gives the title a more timeless feel.

Of course, updated coloring can help, too. I LOVE the look of the new Spirit trades! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The off-topic section All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: