Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Spider-Man 3?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The off-topic section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Spider-Man 3? Reply with quote

What did everybody think? For my part I was a little disappointed. I really liked the Harry stuff and I really liked the Venom stuff. I really didn't like the Sandman stuff. Why in the world was he included? The movie would have been so much more streamlined without him. Weakest one in the series.

Also super disappointed that the games got panned too. I was looking forward to the Wii one but apparently not so good.

Disappointing.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
hylozoii
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam Raimi tried to make this movie a comedy/musical. The script and plot was horrible. Between Harry, Venom, and Sandman and juggling between the love situation with Gwen and Mary Jane, you couldn't follow the storyline. Everything was crammed together like X3 was. Also, why spend 400 million on CGI that the audience can't even follow. That fight scene at the beginning with Harry in the tiny space between the buildings was horrible and I got dizzy trying to follow them dodge pipes, clotheslines, and pumpkin bombs and web shootings. Sandman being Uncle Ben's real killer with a sob story conclusion was stupid. Harry losing his memory was pointless, since he regained it the next day. The stupid stupid stupid disco Night of the Roxbury scene down the streets of New York was the funniest thing I've ever seen. Then he goes into the clothing store and comes out dancing in front of the camera with hip thrusts? He all of a sudden knows how to play the piano and dances in the bar like on Dancing with the Stars swinging around the walls and bar counter! I thought I was watching Jim Carrey in The Mask, but more retarded. I wanted to walk out right then.

Sigh...also Raimi making Parker's hair the sign between good Parker and bad Parker was so stupid. And the apartment super and his daughter's giggling and making cookies....geezus. Raimi really wanted to make this movie a musical. Stan Lee's appearance was forced and corny. Bruce Campbell's part was utterly comedic ridiculousness with the marriage proposal back-and-forths.

The meteor dropping 10 yards from Peter, Sandman happens to jump into a radioactive plant...all random and all rushed to get the villains origins out quick.

So, yes. Disappointment is what I felt as well.
Punisher74
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was good. I liked it. Although I wish they hadn't killed off Venom. Oh well. Carnage isn't really PG-13 material. And I liked Sand Man. I'd give it an 8/10. It was good. And I'm glad Venom didn't look like the action figure, all silvery.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big disappointment. Spoilers ahead.

I like the Sandman as a character, but he wasn't needed. I was surprised how much I was enjoying James Franco in this movie, and I thought the best scenes involved Harry Osborne.

I find it difficult to believe that a meteor could land a dozen yards away from Peter and Mary Jane, and they wouldn't notice. The symbiote gets burned up in an explosion at the end, but it survives entry into the earth's atmosphere and impact into the ground? And it heads straight for Peter? Why? How?

Why would Peter kiss Gwen at the rally, knowing Mary Jane is there? Just to set off a conflict for our benefit? It didn't make any sense? Another thing that didn't make any sense: How did he know to go to the Church and ring the bell to get rid of the symbiote? Because it worked in the comic and the 90s animated series, which a lot of the audience wouldn't have seen or read?

The decision to have Sandman kill Uncle Ben instead of the burglar needlessly screws around with the origin and the fabric of what Spider-Man is all about. Peter chose to become a crimefighter instead of an entertainer because someone he allowed to get away ended up killing his uncle. Now that is found to be untrue. The lesson? With great power you may run into some responsibility from time to time.

The moment in this movie where I wanted to shoot the screen? When Harry's butler, after waiting almost the length of two complete movies, figures that NOW is the time to tell Harry that Spider-Man is not responsible for the death of Norman. We didn't know he had that knowledge, but it turns out he did. He just was in this mansion with this guy who's been brooding in front of his father's portrait, stroking a dagger and creating a collage out of newspaper clippings about Spider-Man. But no Bernard. Wait. Neglect to tell him a little longer.

I can't fault the actors. They were all great. The failure is all Raimi's, which is a shame, because I don't believe this is the movie he wanted to make. I watched Spider-Man 2 again after seeing 3, and I can't believe they sprung from the same mind. I think Sony or Marvel pressured him to put Venom in the movie, and that's just a mess. You can't have the symbiote realistically show up, fuse to Peter resulting in an internal battle, leave Peter, go to Eddie, creating an entirely new villain, and finally have a satisfying battle all in one movie. He should have just waited to have Eddie Brock appear as Venom in number four, but I don't think they were going to get Tobey Maguire or Kirsten Dunst for a fourth movie. It had to all be done in one movie and thus, the resulting mess. Why was Sandman there? Perhaps that's the villain Raimi wanted to use in the first place.
Punisher74
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too would have rather seen Venom in his own movie with Spider-Man. Saved him for 4. But we might as well not get upset. It was just a movie.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, not to get technical but I did pay money to see the movie. Then I spent time watching it so it's a bit of a let down when it's not very good. It's like buying food that makes you puke. Not the end of the world but vaguely upsetting.

Why aren't you laughing?
Solid Snake PAC
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seriously...since when did Venom have an Arc where he was worth damn? I mean, I like him yeah but...save for a few issues JRJR worked on and the whole appearance of Venom I can't name too many times he was used to any good use. I think it's his visual and evil spider-manish appeal that make him popular but I was pleased that he was only in it for a bit. I didn't like the whole retcon on Ben's Death and Bernard was just...worthless. They really wasted the appearances of The Stacy Family. And the whole Jazz Club scene was a disaster including the Travolta crap he was pulling. I give it a B-. I gotta admit the first act was very comic book like in a good way. I liked the beginning and a bit of the end.
Punisher74
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Spider-Man 3? Reply with quote

Yeah but we might as well face the truth. They make these movies more for the people who never read the comics. If this was false they wouldn't have Gwen Stacey in Spidey 3.
Neilan
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was okay. There were definitely things that could have been better. The parts that bothered me the most were: 1. The way that Sandman could transport himself through the air after he turned completely to sand. 2. The way that Pete and MJ acted with each other prior to him "going bad". He already was self-involved before the symbiote started taking him over. And I rarely enjoy the plot device of 1 person holding back information from the other, yet getting upset with that other person for not being sensitive, in this case, about MJ's firing. It's hard to lend support to someone having a crisis, if they don't tell you what the crisis is.

Like others have said, it seemed like they tried to throw too much into this film. My preference would have been to leave out the Venom stuff. Granted, I've never been a big fan of the character to begin with, but I would have been okay with a movie that was mostly about Venom as long as they fleshed out that story better.

My kids liked it. The 8 year old didn't understand how Venom was defeated since they never explained the whole sonics deal, and the 14 yr old had the same problem with the Flying Sandman that I had, but we all felt that it was worth seeing (of course it's easier for them to like it, since they didn't have to pay for it).
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They kinda explained the noise thing. Like the second time sound came into play there was the flashback to the bell thing. Sort of related, though, I disagree the movie was made for non-comic people. I feel like Venom would have made way less sense to someone who isn't familair with the comics. There's that five second symbiote scene but surely most people must have been like "what? it's goo. what's happening?".

Maybe 4-6 will be better.

Why aren't you laughing?
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
I disagree the movie was made for non-comic people.

Columbia wouldn't invest such a huge budget towards a movie targeted chiefly at a comic-reading audience. They aimed this movie at a very broad audience, but they did it badly. Much of the symbiote story was not explained, and simply would not make sense to someone who had never heard of Venom before.

It kind of reminds me of when I saw Batman Forever in the theatre. I wasn't really familiar with Two-Face before I saw the movie, and on the way home I asked my buddy what the deal was with the coin. Why does he keep flipping it? If it comes up heads does it give him a power? My buddy explained it to me, and I then realized that the movie didn't properly do it's job of telling me a story. It's not the audience's job to bone up on Spidey back-issues before seeing a movie. It's a screenwriter and director's job to make that step unnecessary for the viewer's enjoyment.
Neilan
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
seriously...since when did Venom have an Arc where he was worth damn? I mean, I like him yeah but...save for a few issues JRJR worked on and the whole appearance of Venom I can't name too many times he was used to any good use. I think it's his visual and evil spider-manish appeal that make him popular but I was pleased that he was only in it for a bit. I didn't like the whole retcon on Ben's Death and Bernard was just...worthless. They really wasted the appearances of The Stacy Family. And the whole Jazz Club scene was a disaster including the Travolta crap he was pulling. I give it a B-. I gotta admit the first act was very comic book like in a good way. I liked the beginning and a bit of the end.

Yeah, Venom is poster child for "all looks and no substance". It's a shame. There's a decent idea buried in there somewhere, but it seems like they could never find it. As far as the movie, I do feel that the jazz scene was the most ridiculous.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The off-topic section All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: