Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Paris Hilton is free!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The off-topic section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: Paris Hilton is free!!! Reply with quote

We can all sleep well tonight!

Hey, if only Matt Murdock, with his celebrity status (well, tabloid celebrity, but a well respected lawyer don't forget) had been given this kind of justice Razz

Seriously, thinking back on that wonderful debate between jc and MurdockBell, I'm sure Paris's lawyers loved upholding the law! How does that "ethical code" go again? Very Happy

Like I said, lawyers USE the law. That's what they are paid for. Here is some cash, be by mouthpiece, get me out of here!

C'mon, Paris could run over a nun and some school children and still get off. She's, Paris, for God's sake! Hell, she could run over God!

Lawyers. God bless them and their sense of upholding the law!

rgj Laughing
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me thinks Paris' new found freedom might have more to do with the US Judicial system specifically and the US's looooooooove for money generally than it has to do with lawyers.

So at this point the plan is to hold people from other countries without trial forever and let guilty rich Americans out of jail immediately. Hell of a plan. Hell of a plan.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These news bring to mind that issue of CW:frontline, where Sally Floyd explains Captain America that he doesn't know today's America, which is all about Paris Hilton, YouTube and who knows what else.
One of the worst pages of comic book writing in history.
Neilan
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
So at this point the plan is to hold people from other countries without trial forever and let guilty rich Americans out of jail immediately. Hell of a plan. Hell of a plan.

See, this is what we Americans mean when we say "They hate us for our freedom". Wink

Quote:
These news bring to mind that issue of CW:frontline, where Sally Floyd explains Captain America that he doesn't know today's America, which is all about Paris Hilton, YouTube and who knows what else.

But then, Sally was right. More Americans know who won American Idol then who their congressmen are. And 50% of us still think Iraq attacked us on 9/11.
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the news comes out it appears that the county Sheriff was the one who let her out, disobeying a court order from the judge that explicitly said she must stay in jail.

But, you can't tell me that her lawyers didn't do everything in thier power (both public and behind closed doors) to spring her, knowing that in reality, yeah, she probably does desereve some time in jail, just like every other average joe would get. Like I said, that's what I would want from my lawyer.

Seriously, I'm just waiting for her to run over someone while intoxicated. She'd probably have to do an entire week behind bars! Razz

rgj
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francesco wrote:

Amen! A thousand times "amen!"

That moment, along with The Confession and the end of Civil War #7 left such a bad taste that I lost all interest in sticking around to see where the Marvel universe's America goes from here. Right now, the American dream is completely dead/in a coma, in the Marvel universe.

...I guess this Paris Hilton incident goes to show that the American judicial system is very far removed from the American dreams of equality and freedom.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the same time, in my experience people who run jails are very busy....running jails. As much as I hate the very idea of prison, I do appreciate that it might be fairly difficult to run one. "Okay, we've taken a bunch of people who have proven themselves as people who hate authority and who might be violent and put them all in this building. They hate being here but your job is to keep them from leaving. Plus, you have to try to prevent them from hurting each other. Oh, and you have to feed them and do their laundry too".

The last thing any prison official/guard probably wants to deal with is having to babysit some starlette. Most prison people I've talked to take the position that unless someone is a real threat to the community they should be bounced on parole ASAP. Not for any "fairness" or "justice" related reason but just because prisons are overcrowded as it is. And this is in Canada. I imagine the situation is worse in the States given that the US has the highest percentage of it's population in prison in the world (something like 0.7%).

Why aren't you laughing?
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hold the phone!!!

Apparently, lastest word is that Paris is going back to jail!!! Oh, the humanity!

As far as jc's comments about giving Paris a break because of overcrowded jails, then it should be across the board, not just for the rich and famous. And, I thought that Paris was a threat to the community, since people can die when drunks take the wheel.

rgj
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neilan wrote:

But then, Sally was right. More Americans know who won American Idol then who their congressmen are. And 50% of us still think Iraq attacked us on 9/11.

(A bit off topic.)
Sally was wrong because she entirely missed the point of why Cap was fighting. She just kept insisting that Cap didn't know some Mass Media s**t. And for some reason, to her (to those who were writing her), this was the prerequisite to defend a country's ideals.

Quote:
Most prison people I've talked to take the position that unless someone is a real threat to the community they should be bounced on parole ASAP.

Someone should remind those people that inprisonment is also punishment, not just temporary removal from the community.

Quote:
That moment, along with The Confession and the end of Civil War #7 left such a bad taste that I lost all interest in sticking around to see where the Marvel universe's America goes from here.

Also, why was a complex, layered character like Ben Urich portrayed like a cross between a retarded Woody Allen and Lt Columbo in that comic is beyond my understanding,
Neilan
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francesco wrote:
Neilan wrote:

(A bit off topic.)
Sally was wrong because she entirely missed the point of why Cap was fighting. She just kept insisting that Cap didn't know some Mass Media s**t. And for some reason, to her (to those who were writing her), this was the prerequisite to defend a country's ideals.

I strayed from context. What I was trying to say, is that, unfortunately, in the real world, not the comic world, that's what today's Americans are about. Celebrity, good times and little knowledge of what's going on beyond TV and Hollywood.
Punisher74
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Paris Hilton is free!!! Reply with quote

rgj wrote:
We can all sleep well tonight!

Hey, if only Matt Murdock, with his celebrity status (well, tabloid celebrity, but a well respected lawyer don't forget) had been given this kind of justice Razz

Seriously, thinking back on that wonderful debate between jc and MurdockBell, I'm sure Paris's lawyers loved upholding the law! How does that "ethical code" go again? Very Happy

Like I said, lawyers USE the law. That's what they are paid for. Here is some cash, be by mouthpiece, get me out of here!

C'mon, Paris could run over a nun and some school children and still get off. She's, Paris, for God's sake! Hell, she could run over God!

Lawyers. God bless them and their sense of upholding the law!

rgj Laughing

I wish she had gone to jail. I don't like Paris Hilton. She is a very bad role model for kids. Plus she gets payed for acting like a complete moron (talking about The Simple Life).
Stanley
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first thought when looking at the title of this thread?

"Given her 'prowess' as seen on videotape, I don't think she cost all that much to begin with."

...I can be such a bitch.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZING!

Why aren't you laughing?
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forrest wrote:
Francesco wrote:

Amen! A thousand times "amen!"

That moment, along with The Confession and the end of Civil War #7 left such a bad taste that I lost all interest in sticking around to see where the Marvel universe's America goes from here. Right now, the American dream is completely dead/in a coma, in the Marvel universe.

http://mightygodking.livejournal.com/300945.html#cutid1

I had to do it.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...WOW.

I never actually read that issue and her dialog (which was left unchanged on that link) is so much worse than I expected. I am sooo very glad I did not read CW: Frontline! At the time I'd heard that it was actually good (versus CW) but no matter how good the earlier issues may be, that ending is just pathetic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The off-topic section All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: