Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Will Kevin Smith really finish DD:Target?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The off-topic section
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will Kevin Smith really finish DD:Target?
Who cares?
71%
 71%  [ 10 ]
No.
14%
 14%  [ 2 ]
other
14%
 14%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 14

Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Will Kevin Smith really finish DD:Target? Reply with quote

SMITH: No, it's been such a f---ing long time. Yeah, I am pretty close so it might be something that I'm actually gonna finish up. And that's the book I never thought I'd finish up. I was saying for years, "That will always exist as one issue and never finish." And now I can conceive of an ending.

So, it seems like Kevin Smith has expressed the possibility that he, at long last, "could actually finish that Daredevil story now".

What do you think?
jumonji
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted for "who cares?". He might finish it. He might not. I'll read it if he does, but I'm not holding my breath.
train
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i voted who cares as well. if anyone on this board buys this book, i will personally drive to your house and punch you in the throat.
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol!
You made me laugh for real, train.
jumonji
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

train wrote:
i voted who cares as well. if anyone on this board buys this book, i will personally drive to your house and punch you in the throat.

You are welcome to visit me in Sweden anytime, train. Laughing

Remember, I'm the farthest thing from a Kevin Smith fan you could imagine. However, I'm also a completist so don't hold it against me.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted no. My big thing with Target has always been that Smith didn't even start the thing. Go read issue #1 again. We learn that:

1. Karen is dead.
2. Matt is sad.
3. Bullseye exists.
4. Terrorists want to hire Bullseye.

That's it. There is absolutely no idea there. There were no plot set ups, no foreshadowing of things to come, no nothing. And it's a mini-series. Given that that's all Smith ever produced I seriously doubt he ever had an idea not only regarding how the story would end but how it would even start.

He's a hack.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Pete
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Target #1 was the worst comic book produced, ever, anywhere. We should be grateful that there was no second issue, and despite what Smith says, he knows it'll never happen.

It's of no consequence to the fine history of this character. Why is he even bothering talking about this? Did anyone ask him? Is there someone on this Earth who is waiting with baited breath for this thing? Does Smith have a death wish?

Thanks for Guardian Devil, Kevin. Now go away.
Neilan
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Will Kevin Smith really finish DD:Target? Reply with quote

Francesco wrote:
SMITH: No, it's been such a f---ing long time. Yeah, I am pretty close so it might be something that I'm actually gonna finish up. And that's the book I never thought I'd finish up. I was saying for years, "That will always exist as one issue and never finish." And now I can conceive of an ending.

So, he basically says that he never had any idea of how to end the series. And based on the 1 issue, he didn't have much of an idea of what it was about.
I'm a "Who Cares", but if he does get around to doing it, I'll be getting a visit from train.
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Will Kevin Smith really finish DD:Target? Reply with quote

Neilan wrote:
Francesco wrote:

So, he basically says that he never had any idea of how to end the series.

Good observation there, Neil. Exactly what I thought.

btw, I have the impression that either jumonji or train have actually not voted, by error.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Will Kevin Smith really finish DD:Target? Reply with quote

Francesco wrote:
Neilan wrote:
Francesco wrote:

So, he basically says that he never had any idea of how to end the series.

Good observation there, Neil. Exactly what I thought.

I think it's pretty clear that he didn't know how to end Guardian Devil when he started that nightmare.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way Smith would finish Target would be if it came with french fries. And who gives a ****, anyway. Kevin Smith took a royal crap in the DD universe and we're stuck with it. He need not return.
Dash
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think his contribution was thaaat bad. I mean guardian devil was a solid enough story. No more flimsy than pre-1998 DD. But those writers seemingly can be forgiven.
Stanley
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dash wrote:
I don't think his contribution was thaaat bad. I mean guardian devil was a solid enough story. No more flimsy than pre-1998 DD. But those writers seemingly can be forgiven.

This is a good point.

I think a lot of DD fans get hung up on this:

We know DD isn't the flagship. I know I'd personally be fine with it if he was, but I won't speak for anyone else. In the meantime, since he isn't, we (here I ~will~ speak for others) take pride in the fact that he's OUR character and that we make the effort to follow him where a non-thinking typical comic buyer wouldn't.

So when you attach someone with instant pop-cultural cache to Daredevil, such as Kevin Smith, and his presence alone DOES boost the visibility of Daredevil, then it sure would be nice if the story put our hero's best foot forward. If I wanted an incredibly visible yet utterly average story that pissed everyone off, I'd read One More Day.

The same reaction with the movie. Now it's our boy's time to shine, except they cut all the heart out of it (even with the director's cut).

So the other writers get some slack because they can anonymously toil away and put crap out. Nobody knows it but us. But when Kevin Smith does it, it's a problem--there's an inherent lack of respect there on his part.

When you can't get your work done in a prompt fashion in 95% of other industries, you get fired. He comes to our sandbox and says "they'll get it when they get it, and if they don't like it, they're just fanboys". Also, this latest revelation of NOT EVEN KNOWING where he was going with the story...pretty clear cut case of a lack of respect to the character and his fans.

So while I do understand what you're saying Dash, and it's not like I've burned my copy of Guardian Devil, Kevin Smith is held to a higher standard. And when he doesn't meet that standard, and in fact sets lower standards for himself than ohidontknow Alan Smithee, fans tend to get unimpressed real quick.

Famous guy wants to try his hand at Fringe Hero Mag? Sounds like a no-lose situation. Story sucks and everything goes downhill? It was already cancelled. Moderate story and audience is huge? He SAVED everything!

Not every comic reader is a 9 year old that only loves Spiderman and Wolverine while thinking girls are icky. Quesada would do best to learn that.
Dash
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Smith is a decent enough director, but as far as comic book story writer goes...I wouldn't get too carried away. That's like saying Michael Jordan would be good at baseball because he was good at basketball. Confused

So if anything, I hold Kevin Smith to a lower standard than someone like Bendis, Quesada...etc etc. That's not saying he couldn't have done a better job. I mean I like Guardian Devil, but def think it could have been done better. Looking back on it though, it almost seems like more of something that should be in vol. 1 and not the kick off to vol. 2. Because the subsequent issues are drastically different.

But at the end of the day, it's part of the DD saga now. So the good with the bad I guess.

Unless they tell us that Karen is a Scroll and Bullseye has been dead since the the 70's.
Stanley
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dash wrote:
Kevin Smith is a decent enough director, but as far as comic book story writer goes...I wouldn't get too carried away.

...And I don't think anyone's getting too carried away.

Dash wrote:
So if anything, I hold Kevin Smith to a lower standard than someone like Bendis, Quesada...etc etc. That's not saying he couldn't have done a better job. I mean I like Guardian Devil, but def think it could have been done better.

Yeah, to quickly restate my whole point, Kevin Smith comes with a built-in audience who's not only gonna judge his work but the character that he plays with. Since our boy DD is going to be more visible due to Smith's...'fame', the writer should be (and typically is, I think) held to a higher standard. And if the hardcore fans do indeed hold him to a lower standard, then he's like Sarah Palin in the VP debate: "Oh, he didn't vomit and stab a cheerleader? Good for him. He wrote 22 consecutive pages, each with words on it! He's doing a bang-up job."

There's a similar split for the DD movie: "At least it was made" vs. "Man, there was so much they got wrong". While I'm as positive as the next guy, it sure is a kick in the teeth when your friends all watch that piece of crap and say, "THAT's what you're into?"

I've been known to say smart things from time to time, but my words about how epic the comic can be just can't fight a bad script that gets greenlit. Or bad CGI. Or Ben Affleck.

Mostly Ben Affleck.

(I mean, he ALMOST killed Smokin Aces in the first 10 minutes. Go back and watch--it's close.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The off-topic section All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: