Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

The Trailer is Finally Here...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1drman
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought Matt not having any super strength, speed, or durability was what made him so much more badass. Spider-Man is cool, but he never had to spend a second learning to throw a punch or block an attack. Daredevil has to train his mind and body constantlly just to be able to hold his own and he does it willingly so he can stand up for what he believes in. That doesn't make him a weenie.

And as for storyline, I would say it see,s extre,e;y ;ole;y that this first season will be heavily based on Man without fear. I wouldn't wory too much about them reinterpreting the costume because from the promo photos I've seen, it ;ppls ;ole everything they've done so far has looked extremely close to something in some era of the comic. The fray suit thin tie and John Lennon glasses for example straight out of Bendis and Maleev's run.

Personally, I won't be too upset if the suit get's a little black added to it. I just really really really don't want it to be made of leather. Not too many gymnasts, ninjas, or free runners wear leather jump suits
Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Murdock wrote:
train wrote:
Mike Murdock wrote:
train wrote:
Wasn't that a line from Karen in the Born Again story? Not sure if I'm reading too much into that or not.

I remember "Don't think his name" said Ben Urich in Born Again. Could be what you're thinking of.

D'oh! You are right. I might lose my Daredevil card for messing that up.

As far as the whole Catholicism thing...yeah it was started by Miller and then Smith went headlong into it. The way I see it, it grounds the character. It makes him more human.

Technically, Matt being Catholic predates Miller, but don't ask me to remember who the writer was (it was a very short-lived writer or one-off writer). Miller made his mom very Catholic (obviously) so Matt would presumably be Catholic too. Smith is the first to show him going to church, but, with the exception of the letter in the beginning, it was portrayed even then as something out of character.

That being said, I don't have a problem with him going to church in a moment of profound crisis of conscience. As long as every episode doesn't feature it, I'm fine with it happening in the show.

You're probably thinking of writer Tony Isabella.
Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something I noticed (and you probably have noticed it already) when I finally watched the trailer in HD... the rooftop scene is brighter and you can clearly see red lines on the costume.

I showed the trailer to my son and all he said was "blood" and wasn't interested after that. Smile
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing the trailer, there is that shot of the black suited Matt rushing into a room in a building. Then there is the shot of Matt looking out the window. Is this a depiction from the comics where Matt accidentally pushes a woman out the window to her death? Who wrote that story again?
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be. Although this seems a far more intentional action than that one. That was from Frank Miller's The Man without Fear, which is an obvious inspiration. But that was something accidental and something Matt regretted. It's not clear that it's the same here.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
1drman
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rgj wrote:
Seeing the trailer, there is that shot of the black suited Matt rushing into a room in a building. Then there is the shot of Matt looking out the window. Is this a depiction from the comics where Matt accidentally pushes a woman out the window to her death? Who wrote that story again?

Even though your question is already answered, I thought I would add that that incident is revisited in Daredevil/Deadpool Annual..from I forgot what year.. it's the only DD/DP annual. Worth reading to get the full story of what happened that night. I could definitely see them using the Frank Miller version of the incident for the show though. The later version isn't as nevessary as it is a product of every single moment being written about from every possible angle
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fine if they have it, I'm fine if they don't. I would prefer that the woman not actually be Typhoid Mary, though. I thought that was a dumb retcon.

Guardian-Devil
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check Out HD Images From The First Trailer For DAREDEVIL...

thank to Josh Wilding from comicbookmovie.com
Hardcore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that alley screen shot of Matt's dad after he is gunned down? Seriously, don't tell me Matt is a kid when this happens in the show, like in the movie. If that's the case, this seems to be more a take on the DD movie than the actual Daredevil comic.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was drawn pretty young in Man Without Fear. He was drawn even younger by Alex Maleev in a Bendis comic that frankly can only be explained as an error (OK, that or dramatic licensing). But, given those sources, it is drawing from the comics to make him young.

rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt had always been 17 or 18 years old when his father died. I think Miller changed it to when he was a freshman in college where as before he had been maybe a senior in high school (Lee). The movie was the first to depict him as a child. Funny, the movie mentioned nothing about an orphanage Matt would have had to have gone to if this had been the case.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the only reason I don't like making him too young - it makes it hard to explain who raised him (unless it was Stick, I suppose). But it's not as straight forward as you claim:

Conflicting Continuities

Guardian-Devil
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the first time I saw the scene in the alley I thought it was Jack's death scene. I think Matt is going to be 13-14 when it happens...
Hardcore

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bendis and Maleev clearly used the movie as influence. See Bullseye's forehead if you don't believe me.
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt being older is also the reason why he went after the Fixer so fast. Matt designed his first costume out of his father's boxing garb and went after the Fixer. It's ridiculous that he waited 10 years for this to happen. Now, the series, like the film has the right to stray from this timeline or storyline. But, I'm guessing it's not for the better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: