Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Hey, are you new here? Introduce yourself!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wheelie
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

This newb was first introduced to Daredevil during Nocenti's run (in my younger days, I liked Longshot and followed Ann to Daredevil). I enjoyed her run on DD but stopped reading after she left. Randomly picked up DD again towards the beginning of Volume 2 ("Parts of a Hole") and have been with Matt since. One day I'll have to fill in the gap between Nocenti and Vol 2. Liked Bendis' run. Went back and read Miller's run and LOVED that. Brubaker and Diggle were blah.

Overall, DD is my favorite character and Kingpin my favorite villain in the Marvel universe. DD is the only book I consistently pull from Marvel. I do consider myself a DC guy (pulling Batman, JLA, and Vertigo stuff like Scalped).

Right now, I'm just looking forward to the end of Diggle's run and hope that we can get a good writer on board.
WithoutFear86
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello forum!

My first introduction to comics was in a '96 issue of Spider-Man. My favorite comic character is Daredevil and my favorite Daredevil story is "Born Again." I think the most overrated DD writers are Frank Miller and Ann Nocenti, and I think the most underrated DD writers are Gerry Conway and DG Chichester.

Other favorite Marvel character are pretty much everyone that qualifies as a "street level" hero. Never cared for Cap, Thor, Iron Man, etc. I prefer to read Moon Knight and Iron Fist.

My favorite non-Marvel characters are Green Lantern, Flash, Dick Grayson, Huntress, and Invincible.
Marty
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afternoon all,

Looking forward to taking part in a few discussions.

In terms of my affinity to Daredevil, it originally came from when I was growing up. The local newsagent used to get Marvel comics in, but sporadically, and rarely got a run of consecutive issues per title! Which meant jumping from one character to the next. The bonus of this was my discovery of Daredevil, quickly becoming a favourite.

After a time in the wilderness, I rediscovered my love of reading comics thanks to Kevin Smith's run on the title, and have been keeping up to date since through the hardcover omnibuses. I'm just starting the second Brubaker omnibus to give you an idea of where I'm up to storyline wise.

Excited about the potential of a new Daredevil film, but after watching the director's cut of the Affleck version, I just hope it's better than that!
Styleshift
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys!

I'm a frequent poster from Spidermancrawlspace.com
Lately I've been talking alot about DD over there and one poster asked "Doesn't anybody talk about Spider-man anymore"? LOL

So I decided to branch out and find a DD website that is as equally good.

I haven't been too happy with how the Spider-man comics have been handled lately, and while I love DC comics I'd rather jump in and out than follow their comics because of the continuity reboots.

So I decided to drop all new comics and use this time to become more familiar with older issues.

I'm still pretty "new" to the DD universe.
I only have the first 84 issues under my belt. DD just met the Black Widow.

I first got interested in the character through the 90s Fantastic Four cartoon. I was a huge Batman/Spider-man/Bruce Lee fan and I thought that DD embodied ALL of that. He was the perfect superhero. The 90s Spidey toon later reaffirmed that.

However...my first DD comic was fall from grace and as a kid I had no idea what the heck was going on. I loved the armored costume though. (Not saying I wanted to stick but as an alternate it's pretty cool.)

Later my sister would buy me a marvel legends toy when I was in high school that was based off the movie. She knew if I didn't like the toy I would dig the comic. Not sure where it's at but I still have it and have used it as a statue on my desk.

(I should mention that the comic was #164 written by Roger Mckenzie with art by Frank Miller.)

That story is how I like my comics. It's why I still read comics today.

This led to me finding every bit of DD comic I could get my hands on at my library.

Love's Labor Lost.
Essential vol 1.
Wake up.
Parts of a hole.
Underboss.

Later I would really get into the JMS Spider-man and that took up most of my cash. Now I feel burned and I'm tired of complaining. So I figure I'll keep up with DD since his book has been consistently written for years.
jriddle
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy.

I'm not really new here--I was around for a while when this board was new, but I am newly returned to it. I'm a writer and would-be filmmaker who came into DD in the late '70s, just before Miller turned up and ensured I'd be a permanent fan. The best DD story is still Miller's second run on the character, the "Born Again" storyline. After that, the book became pretty spotty for quite a few years. Volume 2 brought back everything I loved about DD (except for that unfortunate Bob Gale arc), and had me reading it regularly for the first time in ages. I dropped out shortly after Brubaker took over, but it was because of money troubles, not any gripe with his work. I've been away ever since. I thought I'd start checking in on where DD has gone more recently, and this is where I turned up.
McFly
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there!

I am one of these long time reader - first time posters Smile

My name is Marc, I am 20 years old and I'm from Germany. (so if my english is sometimes whacky, dont hate on me, its not my native language Wink but I'll try my best!)

I am a Daredevil-fan (and a comic fan in general) since 1997' when my dad gave me a few of his old treasures, from grandpas basement. I came across a fantastic four book, where Matt acted as an attorney for them. I was instantly interested to learn more about him.. I actually read every marvel book I can get my hands on, so I am also a huge fan of xmen, avengers, ghost rider, punisher and all the others... but Daredevil was, and will forever be the most interesting character to me. So well. Thats my story!

Smile
The Devils Sacrifice
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new and I love Double D!
ALY
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! My name is Aly. I’m a 25 year old woman from Sweden.

In my childhood I never ever read any comics at all. I first came across Daredevil when I saw the movie. Me and my friend wanted something funny to watch. We laughed a lot at what we thought was a purely silly premise for a movie. At first I had an ironic love for the movie. It was my guilty pleasure and it represented the first of many times I rented a movie with my best friend. But then slowly a fascination with the superhero grew. I went to the library and found Born Again. I read it and again I laughed. This was not how I previously had imagined a comic book hero and I figured this was a special thing I had found. I liked it a lot and thought about it several times over the years but I didn’t read any more comics.

Then recently I found out that they want to make another movie, and once more I went to the library and I completely fell in love with Daredevil. I read Underboss, Out, Golden Age and Decalogue. This was a little over a month ago, so I’m a new fan. But since I’ve had a lot of time to read.

These are some of the things I liked immediately:
- when Matt is not in the costume
- when he gets beaten a lot
- when he just can’t win and when he loses it mentally
- the tiny horns on the costume
- Foggy
- people hanging out in the dark

Daredevil is still the only comic I’ve read and I don’t know anybody in my life who reads comics.
Man_Without_Fear_
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello. I'm Adam Stabelli. I've been a reader of comics since I was a kid. Batman was the character that got me into comics. And Superman cemented me as a comic reader. I'm now branching off into Marvel Comics. And I'm going to the comic shop next week, and I will be picking up some Daredevil. As well as Cap, and Spidey. Possibly some X-Men.
Suburban Devil
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first DD story arc was Guardian Devil, which made me fall in love with the character. After that, I got hooked onto the Bendis/Maleev stuff, stopped reading comics for about half a decade as a result of finances, and have recently picked them up again and am trying to catch up on all things Daredevil. He's the only character I really care about or follow in comics. In my mind, he's one of the most complex superheroes around, and has a lot that can inspire a person, as well as make a reader cheer him on.

For me, if literature or art doesn't motivate a person to apply some of what they've learned to real life, it's just noise. DD provides brain food, and Matt Murdock's sense of justice, as well as his physical discipline, have inspired me to become a better person overall.
barberdave
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: new Reply with quote

Hello

I've been reading comics all my life. I stared Daredevil with the kevin Smith run, took a break about a year ago but started up with the new series.
phap
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and first of all big thanks to the webmaster.
i just realised I forgot to introduce myself so here we go!
I'm a french man which follow DD everynow and then since I'm 9 or something. I'm currently 38. I had the chance to have DD in french at that time. At first I wasn't really a big fan. I prefered X-men or Spidey. Guess what changed my mind? Yeah, you're right, Miller came in the way and changed it all. I don't know how many times I've read his story full of ninja and Elektra. I was really amazed. Then The censure came... In the middle of Born Again. What a shame! So I let my hero live in USA. I didn't even know at that time I could order the US titles, I thought french was the original language. Well, then years passed... And one day I see DD is out again, so I pick up to see how it is. Wonderful! That was Nocenti with the woman animal freedom arc and what follows. And DD in hell, still one of my favorites. At this time I started to buy also the originals. I didn't read it all but most of it since Miller. I liked almost everything, except some Chichester like you know what and the tree of knowledge which I still don't understand the story... Then DD vol2 I love everything from Bendis till now, (but not before), except also shadowland. So usually I stop two years reading DD, then come back to see everything I missed, read it again and one more time again and reread some of my favorites, then I let DD do his way without me but he calls me back 2 or 3 years later again... In circles.
I hope someday Matt will be truly at peace... But I guess it won't sell well!
ToonOzAndy
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I'm a long-time fan and collector from Melbourne, Australia. I still fondly remember picking up my first Daredevil comic, which was issue #25 featuring Leap Frog way back in 1967 !!!!!

It wasn't until the early seventies that my real passion for reading DD was fuelled. During this period I managed to pick up ALL of the back issues I had missed as a kid. I still remember the thrill of opening a package of old comics I had ordered from Howard M. Rogofsky who was in New York, and I had to wait months for the darn thing to arrive. In that package was a NEAR MINT copy of DD #1 (1964) which I paid $8 for in 1973.

It's been a long, and somewhat harrowing journey, following the exploits of Matthew Murdock, but the rewards (as a reader) have been huge! Staring at the beautiful artwork of Wally Wood, John Romita Sr, Gil Kane, Lee Weeks, Frank Miller, John Romita Jr and the great Gene Colan has been a joy. How we have been spoilt over the years with such great inkers as Tom Palmer, Klaus Janson, Al Williamson, Frank Giacoia and Syd Shores lending their embellishment to the great pencillers on this book. And we have had some of the best writers in the business in Stan Lee, Roy Thomas, Marv Wolfman, Frank Miller, Anne Nocenti, Bendis and Brubaker. And now a great new era has commenced with Mark Waid, Paolo Rivera and Marcos Martin.

I also have the unfortunate OCD of collecting lots of Daredevil Artwork, which I have amassed over the years, and kept my bank balance on near empty.

After 40 years of following and collecting DD, I still get a buzz with each new issue of the book.
rwcoop
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:13 am    Post subject: Introduction Reply with quote

A long-time (US/American) fan, not as long as Oz (or as fortunate to have a NM DD#1), but I'm starting to feel old... except every time I get a new issue of DD... it can still take me back to how I felt when I was twelve. Originally, I was a big fan of Iron Fist (still am), and at the time it was a Miller/Janson DD running around, which had a similar essence, then I met Elektra... then Stick... then The Hand... I was in martial arts heaven... I couldn't get the issues fast enough back in the 80's, (I was a military brat my entire childhood) and somehow we ended up in Kuwait (yeah, that Kuwait, that eventually was invaded by Iraq... but I degress...), and I can still spilling out 300 fills for issue 181... It was the first time I ever saw a character I loved killed in a comic... I felt it, the emotion of that entire issue (I can still remember how I felt that day reading it... in disbelief...but knowing this was a comic universe and no one ever really dies... please God...not her). DD is really the only comic that I continued to collect through high school, but somewhere between college and work, I left the mid 90's issues on the shelf at the comic store... until I saw DD#1 in 1998, and I'm like cool cover, who's this Quesada guy who draws DD all dark and shadowy (cool!) and Kevin Smith (that Clerk's guy write's comic books... wha?!), couldn't put it down and then it happens again,... he killed her... no way..., I didn't love her like Elektra, but it had me hooked... then Bendis, Mack... Echo (man, we need to see more of her in the Universe). 5 years ago I started filling in every DD and Elektra story I could, and then found I just couldn't stop... ending up now (and the forseeable future) as a DD comic book (wannabe) completist. I still have a ways to go before collecting every appearance of DD in a standard comic book... and I love that the list still continues to grow (he's a New Avenger... sweet). Although I work a lot and am a family guy now, I still have a passion for comics, and especially DD... and look forward to reading and contributing to the manwithoutfear.com community of fellow fans.
--Coop
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a way, I should reintroduce myself here. Been away too long. A lot has happened, but some things don't change. This is an awesome site and I feel spoiled that my favorite Marvel character has such a fantastic site.
What is new? Well, my son (9) and my daughter (11) now read and love Daredevil as much as I do. I guess that is a small part of the reason for my disappearance. All the torture/brainwashing work on the kids to get them into Daredevil and comics in general. Wink (actually, it was too easy)
I went through a crisis of sorts beginning back in 2007, but that is past. Hopefully, I can find the time to post/comment more. Should be a great year for DD fans. I hope End of Days begins to see some light in 2012.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 15 of 19

Jump to: