Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL #30 Preview, Reviews and Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What did you think of DAREDEVIL #30?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 5

Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 10:51 pm    Post subject: DAREDEVIL #30 Preview, Reviews and Discussion Reply with quote

DAREDEVIL #30 by Zdarsky, Checchetto, Hawthorne, Di Benedetto, Menyz and Cowles ships May 19th and here's the cover & preview!

http://www.manwithoutfear.com/gallery/Daredevil-V6-030

Please use this thread for all discussion when the issue ships!
Thayrone Ibsen
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, six issues with Elektra as Daredevil and now she even throws her real ID no problem. Shall we think about her overall agenda? Issue #25 led us to believe that her ultimate plan is to destroy The Hand, right? And for that to be done, one of them must die. So: we believe that the vain, violent, arrogant Elektra really wishes to do this? Why would someone as ruthless as her want to put an end to those undead guys (maybe they are some kind of competition)? And: whatever her reason is, is she already prepared to let Matt die for this plan to work? (Since she is constantly saying that he is a fool and she is so much better, I think that's the case)

Oh, and hurray! Everybody still thinks Matt is a dummy!
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marvel continues their useless identity politics propaganda with this crap. Elektra dressing as Daredevil is pointless seeing she cares nothing about her secret identity. Why can't she just operate as Elektra since everything Murdock does or stands for is stupid and silly and her ways are so great? I really had high hopes for Elektra playing a larger role in Daredevil's universe again but this wasn't what I had in mind. I also don't like the sidekick crap. Let Batman do that. Mike Murdock's existence in the series continues to be an abomination. Matt Murdock forced to be an idiot in order to allow Elektra to dress is costume. What happened to the Murdock that allowed Frank Castle to help him escape from prison? Anyways, I guess I enjoyed the Kingpin stuff and hopefully Bullseye will gain some respectable feats again because he's been pretty worthless the last few years. But I see Elektra or Alice taking him out. Nice to see Close North again. Real representation right there from this black fan. No hand me down heroes.
DesignDevil
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garbage.
Does Zdrasky even like Daredevil? I seriously don't think he does. Maybe he could go write a character he enjoys and leave Daredevil alone.

This was just pathetic. I miss Andy Diggle and Mark Waid. I owe them both apologies, or at least acknowledgements that they have no longer written the worst Daredevil stories of the modern age. I'll say it, Shadowland was better written than this stupidity.

Except for a brief period in Soule's run, Matt has been consistently portrayed as a pathetic idiot since Brubaker left. Also thanks to the Netflix show (which I love btw) portraying Matt and Foggy as antagonists for 80% of the time, that also seems to be the new standard in the books ever since. Sadly after this long, and the praise these terrible stories keep getting, I'm afraid this is the new status quo for the character. The intelligent and capable Matt Murdock who has friends may be a thing of the past.

And Mike "existing" is still the stupidest thing ever.
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DesignDevil wrote:
Garbage.
Does Zdrasky even like Daredevil? I seriously don't think he does. Maybe he could go write a character he enjoys and leave Daredevil alone.

This was just pathetic. I miss Andy Diggle and Mark Waid. I owe them both apologies, or at least acknowledgements that they have no longer written the worst Daredevil stories of the modern age. I'll say it, Shadowland was better written than this stupidity.

Except for a brief period in Soule's run, Matt has been consistently portrayed as a pathetic idiot since Brubaker left. Also thanks to the Netflix show (which I love btw) portraying Matt and Foggy as antagonists for 80% of the time, that also seems to be the new standard in the books ever since. Sadly after this long, and the praise these terrible stories keep getting, I'm afraid this is the new status quo for the character. The intelligent and capable Matt Murdock who has friends may be a thing of the past.

And Mike "existing" is still the stupidest thing ever.
I hate Mark Waid and Andy Diggle's run and probably only enjoyed Soule's first arc lol. This current run is definitely in the ballpark with their crap. Maybe Chip is too focused on Batman rather than Daredevil. I dunno. This antagonistic relationship between Matt and Foggy is annoying now to think of it. It's a tired plot point. Murdock is just being more annoying and idiotic than he was during his affair with Dakota North. Ugh. This is just unfortunate because the arc before Elektra becoming Daredevil was very enjoyable.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to first address my big problem with this issue.

The final page of #29, the previous issue, had Matt getting stabbed in the gut, and thinking these words to himself.
Quote:
Before I pass out, I hear the warden, on the phone, looking down at me...
He's relaxed. He's assured. He says...
"It's done. Daredevil's dead."

Now Daredevil wakes up in what seems to be the prison infirmary. Who got him there? The warden was clearly in on the plot to kill him. We're not told in any way how he was rescued. It seemed that there was no one who wanted him to live. How did Matt survive?

However, I'm far less negative than the rest who have commented so far.

I don't think Matt is being stupid. He believes he has to atone for killing that man. It's true to his character. His supporting cast is doing a good job in explaining the flaw in his logic. Matt is being stubborn, but I don't think he's being stupid.

I'm not a fan of Alice. She was introduced in a very ham-handed way during the King in Black tie-ins, and very quickly Elektra starts training her. I doesn't feel organic at all. I would have liked the scene between her and Butch in the club if Alice hadn't been there. As for Elektra revealing her identity, I don't expect her to operate like Matt. She's employing this Daredevil guise out of love for Matt, and an effort to prove that she can be better than who she was, or at least as good as Matt. It has nothing to do with concealing her identity.

Thankfully, we only had to put up with Mike for one page. As for Butch, I was surprised by how cool he was. He showed no fear of Elektra, and challenged her on every point she was making. It was a little unsettling that her attempts at benevolence like giving her tenants cheap rent ended up making people like Butch richer. I liked how they both doubted that the other really meant the things they were saying. If Chip Zdarsky can give Butch a compelling scene, maybe one day he could do it for Mike. Who knows?

The cliffhanger with Bullseye confused me, because I couldn't figure out the "great experiment" to which he was referring.

With the way North and Foggy are challenging Matt, along with the way Marcus is challenging him on the inside, I don't think he's going to be in prison much longer, which means he's going to have to return to his Daredevil identity and Elektra is going to have to see if she proved her worth to him. That would bring a close to this tale of Matt in prison and Elektra as Daredevil. As much as I have loved Zdarsky's run on Daredevil since the beginning, I have loved this current story a lot less.

So Alice and Matt inexplicably waking up in the infirmary were my big problems in this issue. I don't think those problems make this "garbage" though. I'm giving this a three.
Thayrone Ibsen
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was not surprised (by the least) that the sidekick thing was going to happen. Since the awful Alice character showed up, it was pretty clear. I guess Zdarsky didn't learning any DAMN thing from Soule's various mistakes. Speaking of, I would even like to start a new thread about that god-awful writer . Was happy to see someone here express some dislike for the man who counts among the few to have written over 50 DD issues (that's a LOT) with those terrible choices. But since there are so few posting in this site these days and the ones who post ignore what I propose (like the Elektra thing in this very thread), "okay then".

Oh, just some other note to be forgotten: let's bring Blindspot back, maybe he can be besties with Alice (or maybe something more, people writing/drawing her don't seem to remember her age, see the differences in her sizes), all below the guidance of wise Elektra. And let's kill this useless Matt Murdock character already. Ta-ta.
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thayrone Ibsen wrote:
I was not surprised (by the least) that the sidekick thing was going to happen. Since the awful Alice character showed up, it was pretty clear. I guess Zdarsky didn't learning any DAMN thing from Soule's various mistakes. Speaking of, I would even like to start a new thread about that god-awful writer . Was happy to see someone here express some dislike for the man who counts among the few to have written over 50 DD issues (that's a LOT) with those terrible choices. But since there are so few posting in this site these days and the ones who post ignore what I propose (like the Elektra thing in this very thread), "okay then".

Oh, just some other note to be forgotten: let's bring Blindspot back, maybe he can be besties with Alice (or maybe something more, people writing/drawing her don't seem to remember her age, see the differences in her sizes), all below the guidance of wise Elektra. And let's kill this useless Matt Murdock character already. Ta-ta.
LOL!
DesignDevil
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
With the way North and Foggy are challenging Matt, along with the way Marcus is challenging him on the inside, I don't think he's going to be in prison much longer, which means he's going to have to return to his Daredevil identity and Elektra is going to have to see if she proved her worth to him.

I hope your'e right, but I really don't think the end is anywhere in sight. The August solicits show that Matt is still in prison, wearing his stupid mask that they absolutely wouldn't let him keep doing, but everything else in this book is silly so...

Also, I think Zdarsky has been telling us explicitly how long the prison story is going to last. Two years. They keep repeating and emphasizing that in the story and the lettering style. Now, it won't be actually two years of Matt Murdock's life, but two years of the comic. Which matches up to issue 50, which will be a big hooplah just like issue 25 was. If I were a betting man, I'd count on issue 50 being the "big triumphant" return of the real Daredevil. Hopefully also featuring a gruesome and violent death of Mike that would make Ramsay Bolton squeamish. Actually I hope that happens next month.

So we've got twenty more issues of this crap.
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DesignDevil wrote:
Quote:
With the way North and Foggy are challenging Matt, along with the way Marcus is challenging him on the inside, I don't think he's going to be in prison much longer, which means he's going to have to return to his Daredevil identity and Elektra is going to have to see if she proved her worth to him.

I hope your'e right, but I really don't think the end is anywhere in sight. The August solicits show that Matt is still in prison, wearing his stupid mask that they absolutely wouldn't let him keep doing, but everything else in this book is silly so...

Also, I think Zdarsky has been telling us explicitly how long the prison story is going to last. Two years. They keep repeating and emphasizing that in the story and the lettering style. Now, it won't be actually two years of Matt Murdock's life, but two years of the comic. Which matches up to issue 50, which will be a big hooplah just like issue 25 was. If I were a betting man, I'd count on issue 50 being the "big triumphant" return of the real Daredevil. Hopefully also featuring a gruesome and violent death of Mike that would make Ramsay Bolton squeamish. Actually I hope that happens next month.

So we've got twenty more issues of this crap.
Elektra should never be Daredevil. I almost rather her running around with the Thunderbolts being the Punisher's play thing again than to watch her dress in Matt's costume. It'd no wonder Miller didn't want any other writers touching her. This is just silly.
fubarthepanda
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't have the strength to criticize this run anymore, but "amen" to the majority of the previous comments. At least Andy Diggle doesn't have to be the guy who destroyed Daredevil anymore...
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue starts with Daredevil getting offered a deal of information for commutation of sentence. It's a good cause, it's likely that the government would be on board. But Daredevil, of course, says he would do it without consideration. Obviously, deal-making gives the sense that one isn't getting punished for one's actions. On the other hand, it doesn't have to be that way. It could be looked at as making amends to society in some way other than sitting doing nothing for a period of time. Or, if you're trying to judge the person, it would suggest the person who committed the act is more rehabilitated and their willingness to help demonstrates that. Either way, Matt doesn't have to view himself as getting special treatment by doing this.

The art for the Elektra scenes is really cool. There's a particular scene with her and Butch where she looks really cool with her mask covering her face and her hair in the background. I do like that Zdarsky keeps playing with the gray areas of unintended consequences. Cheaper rent beats the Stromwyns, but it gives the tenants more disposible income for drugs that finances organized crime. Gentrification would have cleaned up the neighborhood by cleaning it out entirely.

Elektra looked positively out of her element. I think the big reason is she handicapped herself twice - first with not killing people and second by having someone with her she had to watch out for. I liked the masked bad guy she was fighting design-wise. Not sure it needed to be the Hand, but it makes sense from her perspective.

Four and a Half Stars. It's just the story moving along, but I'm still enjoying it. I think Zdarsky is saying some interesting things without slowing down the progression of everything else. I think the difference between me and many here is I like the Daredevil in prison story Zdarsky is presenting and I like the exploration of Elektra as Daredevil as well.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Rand
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimetre sums up my sentiments regarding #30 fairly well:

Dimetre wrote:
Alice and Matt inexplicably waking up in the infirmary were my big problems in this issue. I don't think those problems make this "garbage" though. I'm giving this a three.

I genuinely don't understand Matt being not only stabbed but left for dead by the prison warden only to -- next thing we know -- be recovering in bed with no explanation on offer. I don't want to claim that Zdarsky is a "lazy" writer... but I will say that if he ever gets around to explaining this... I'll be surprised.

Thayrone addresses (in an ironic tone) what may bother me most about Alice:

Thayrone Ibsen wrote:
Let's bring Blindspot back, maybe he can be besties with Alice (or maybe something more, people writing/drawing her don't seem to remember her age, see the differences in her sizes), all below the guidance of wise Elektra.

Everyone ought to open their copy of #26 -- from just four months ago -- and take a look at the very first page that introduces Alice. (No, seriously-- take a look!)

Alice is in a bar. (And indeed: she appears to pass for a grown woman.) A grown man is hitting on her-- or at least having an adult conversation with her. Then, her mother arrives and shouts "She's sixteen!" The bartender apologetically offers that he "didn't check that I.D. closely enough".

Now turn back to #30: specifically, the page on which Elektra and Alice are first approaching the club. Alice appears to pass for a child. Heightwise, she only comes up to Elektra's waist! Shocked

Clearly, someone made a mistake at some point, although it's difficult to determine who's at fault; after all: those two scenes in those two issues were both written by Zdarsky and both pencilled by Checchetto!

(My suspicion is that Checcheto has simply forgotten how old Alice clearly was in her first appearance -- inadvertently drawing her a little bit younger with each issue -- but that's merely my speculation.)
Max
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes! Have not been on the board for a long time so I decided to check in. Is the Daredevil comic gotten this bad? I ask because I am about 3 years behind. I have, what seems like forever, a subscription to the title. My renewal is coming up so I guess I better catch up and decide.

Any incites on the future for the title?
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Max wrote:
Yikes! Have not been on the board for a long time so I decided to check in. Is the Daredevil comic gotten this bad? I ask because I am about 3 years behind. I have, what seems like forever, a subscription to the title. My renewal is coming up so I guess I better catch up and decide.

Any incites on the future for the title?

You subscribe to the title, but you don't read it?

I've been loving Zdarsky and Checchetto's run, but less so since Matt went to prison. The King in Black tie-ins were massive derailments, and I'm becoming increasingly doubtful that Zdarsky can get the train fully back on the tracks. I'd love him to prove me wrong. I think he has an excellent handle on who Matt and Wilson Fisk are. I'd like to see Matt leave prison with a new plan for moving forward while atoning for his past. And I'd love to see Elektra help him bring the Stromwyns to ruin.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: